Iowa Post Game

ShoreLion

Re: Iowa Post Game

Postby ShoreLion » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:29 pm

PSUgrower wrote:Confidence will be soaring this weekend. It will all come to a head after our bye week!

Confidence is great. Cocky is not. Both Indiana and Northwestern are worse matchups for the PSU defense than Iowa was. Not saying they will upset PSU or anything but Iowa basically lost the game by playing the way they did on offense in the first half. The next two teams will be spreading out the defense and that's been trouble the last few years.

Anybody else going to the game Saturday? Don't forget it's "Retro Uniform Day" with blue stripes on paints, numbers on helmets, gray facemasks and white shoes.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:57 am

I would say PSU was about 10 plays away from a perfect game - unfortunately those plays turned what could have been a laugher into a nail biter.

Boy do we miss John Reid - on all three TDs the safety got burned - Apke on the pass before halftime and on the run (got sucked into middle) and Nick Scott whiffed on tackle on the long pass to RB. But Apke also made some key stops and blocked FG.

On offense failure to execute inside the 3 took 8 points of the board, blocked and missed FG took 6 off the board and Brandon Polk whiffing on a very catchable pass killed a drive that would have likely end in potential for points. That's taking 17-20 points off the board.

Nearly 600 yards of total offense and a D that was stout on all but 3 plays indicates to me we don't have talent or scheme problems - just need better execution over a full 60 minutes.

Iowa deserves a lot of credit - they devised a punt game plan that neutralized Thompkins. They minimized PSU explosive plays and frustrated McSorely much of the night and their crowd made it tough on PSU offense to make calls at line of scrimmage. I can't imagine what it feels like to be Iowa LB Josey Jewell (#43) - clearly they had him keying on Barkley the whole night and he played a hell of a game - double digit tackles, INT, fumble recovery, batted down passes - and at the end of night he looks at the stat sheet and his team loses and the guy he chased all night somehow piled up 358 yards.

I keep telling you guys - we are all in on the RPO / spread - you will not see McS under center except for victory formation. Get used to it. Best you will get in short yardage is a quick toss to Barkley or quick slant instead of the read option. This is a "sexy girl offense" - don't worry if she eats crackers in bed.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:11 am

I think even their victory formation is a long snap.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:17 pm

hbendle wrote:I think even their victory formation is a long snap.

Shotgun every time so far and she better do more than look good. :lol:

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:00 pm

I have a feeler out there to see what is said about not having anything from the center. Will let you know if I hear anything. Even Wentz went under the center to kick the Giants ass (2 times)! Sorry Bdub!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:36 am

Watched a video shot by Mark Brennan of Fight On State from the last play of the game and then on the field while the team celebrated and walked-off. I'll be honest. I was not real impressed by how a lot of the players acted. The ssshhhing of the crowd was pretty dumb by itself but there was a pretty good amount of taunting by PSU players of the Iowa crowd as well. Yeah, I know the crowd certainly gives them plenty of grief but I didn't care for it at all. Just was poor sportsmanship. So I guess I'm officially that guy now.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:59 am

Shore, do you have a link for the video?

I didn't love McSorely's punt, but I can understand what it's like being a 19-20 year old and winning that game. Would love to see the video you're referencing though.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:17 pm

I think you saw McSorley's frustration in himself come out in that punt.

Plus Franklin has always told the team to try and diversify whenever possible, hence McSorley taking the opportunity to show his punting skills. Barkley gets to return Kickoffs and this was McSorleys push for punting duties...
Or maybe I might be reading into this a bit too much?
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:38 pm

Tough crowd! FWIW, there were multiple statements from the PSU players (including the indisputably humble Saquon) that there was an insane amount of trash-talk form the Iowa faithful during that game. They also, to a man, said it was all respectful and in good fun and they even shook hands and joked around after the game. I think we can give our boys, especially after the most emotionally charged win they have probably ever had, the benefit of the doubt on this one. If after all that, the worst they do is a "ssh" and a punt, then we know we have good young men on our roster.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 pm

I don't give a crap about the punt. Although the boos from the crowd obviously indicate they didn't like it. But again, I don't see that as a big deal. I think the video was linked from another story on PennLive. I know some of it was in good fun but there were a lot of F-bombs on the way out of the tunnel after the game at fans. Again, I know the crowd was hostile I'd just like to see a different reaction from some of the team. I'd just like to see them act really classy after snatching victory from defeat. It's my problem, I know it.