Iowa Post Game

hbendle

Re: Iowa Post Game

Postby hbendle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:01 pm

It think this was the video to which Shore was referring?
The fist pumping and even the shushing I don't have a big problem with, but I agree one should not engage the crowd directly, as some did entering the tunnel. That's poor form and bound to cause trouble at some point.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:04 pm

nittwittier wrote:Tough crowd! FWIW, there were multiple statements from the PSU players (including the indisputably humble Saquon) that there was an insane amount of trash-talk form the Iowa faithful during that game. They also, to a man, said it was all respectful and in good fun and they even shook hands and joked around after the game. I think we can give our boys, especially after the most emotionally charged win they have probably ever had, the benefit of the doubt on this one. If after all that, the worst they do is a "ssh" and a punt, then we know we have good young men on our roster.

I read the comments from a few of the players and I think they did mean it all in good fun. A few of them said they appreciated how into it the crowd was for their team. But, it still looks bad. There are some probably some Iowa fans who were close to what was going on who appreciate the PSU players having fun with them and stopping to shake hands and what not. But, for the overwhelming number of people who saw it from a distance, they came off looking a bit arrogant.

The spotlight is always on these days and the cameras are always rolling. I know they are college kids and that was a big, emotional win. So, I'm not overly bothered by it. But, in general, they need to learn to show humility in both victory and defeat. I'm a big Giants fan but I think the antics of Odell Beckham are embarrassing and reflect badly on him, the team and the organization as a whole. It's best not to create those types of images. All that said, I don't think what the PSU players did rose to that level. All of that happened right in the moment after a huge win on the road. I think some of that really has to be expected. Unless, of course, it's someone else winning a tough game at our house. Then the only acceptable behavior is for them to quickly run off the field without saying a word or showing any emotion.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:32 pm

I think this team conducts themselves very well overall - in controlled situations they stick to the good guy script and in game they play with fire but not out of control.

Probably hard for us to imagine some of the taunting these guys have taken (especially the 5th year seniors) when you combine the new level of stupidity that goes on these days with fans and soak that with Sandusky scandal. For guys 18-22 playing an emotional game I think they've shown incredible impulse control. So if they keep in check all night and don't respond to the taunts and keep focused on the game I'm not going to sweat them punting a ball or making a gesture to the crowd after a game ending winning play. At that age I would have been running on 50% emotion / 50% adrenaline / 0% controlled logical caring what the world thinks at that momment.

These guys have worked through the haters and the doubters - I ain't going to begrudge them a little celebration.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:33 pm

I have to admit, I am usually harsh on these types of things and I didn't think it was that bad. I may be way off but I thought most of the f-bombs came from the crowd.

Shooshing the crowd? I'm OK with that.

Love watching this team play. As noted above, I'm less than confident that 19-20 year old me would have been very gracious in the same scenario.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Love watching this team play. As noted above, I'm less than confident that 19-20 year old me would have been very gracious in the same scenario.

I have zero doubt that there is no way 48 year old me would have been anywhere near that gracious. I'd have mooned the crowd and walked off with my 2 middle fingers blazing.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:53 pm

I didn't care for it at all. Just was poor sportsmanship. So I guess I'm officially that guy now.

Don't fight the feeling. Soon you'll experience the unbridled ecstasy of chasing kids off your lawn.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 pm

I didn't like the whoosh to the crowd but it was not as bad as the Iowa guy doing the Mcsorely home run swing after the INT. But like a lot of things it depends what side of the fence you are on.

It's good to feel great when you win but to rub in a devastating loss is poor sportsmanship. Even if they were doing the same thing 2 minutes prior.