IU Pre-game

We Are...2

IU Pre-game

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:26 pm

I think the key factor heading into Saturdays game will be how we ended against Iowa. That feeling and gut reaction says volumes about the confidence of this team. IU did an amazing job of bottling Barkley last year - 58yds total...I just can't see that happening this year. PSU learned alot from sat nights game.
Moorehead will have a much different look for McSorley - I see him moving with the pocket - alot.
This game won't be easy but then not much in conference play is...one game at a time!
IU, IU, IU
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Blue&White

Re: IU Pre-game

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:49 pm

My largest concern is the emotional hangover from that win on Saturday. We have more talent than IU on both sides of the ball. They are not a bad program, but PSU should not be losing to IU in any year, and we've already lost to them once. That should be their allotment for the next 30 years or so.

As long as we keep focused, this one should be a reasonably low stress game.

Or, put another way:

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 am

Just to bring everyone up to speed on IU's injury situation heading into Sat:

These players were held out against Georgia Southern as precautionary (although still listed as "possible" for Sat):
Wide receiver Donavan Hale, running back Mike Majette, right guard Simon Stepaniak and, perhaps most notably, cornerback Rashard Fant

Injuries that occurred during the Georgia Southern game:
Quarterback Richard Lagow, he appeared to have a problem with his ankle or leg (could have returned if needed)
Cornerback (A’Shon Riggins), husky (Marcelino Ball) and defensive tackle (Nate Hoff). All three are questionable for Saturday.

Reserve defensive tackle Juan Harris is “very doubtful for the immediate future,” and that reserve linebacker Kiante Walton will have surgery on an unspecified injury Tuesday that will keep him out “for a few weeks.”

UPDATE from Tom Allen as of 9-26:

Nate Hoff is going to be questionable for this week.

Marcelino Ball Unknown lower body injury

Juan Harris- very doubtful for immediate future.

Kiante Walton and is going to be having surgery tomorrow. Will not be season-ending, but he'll be out for a few weeks.

A-Shon Riggans was also sidelined from the game and will be looking at his status as we move forward.

Simon Stepaniak- Status unknown.

Mike Majette- Status unknown

Donavan Hale- Status unknown

Rashard Fant- Status unknown
Last edited by We Are...2 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:23 am

One thing that seems an immediate improvement is Will Fries at RT. Nelson might be okay as an interior lineman, but he'll never be a serviceable tackle again.

New coach at Indiana. Should be interesting to see how the difference plays out.

The guys should understand how close they came to losing - think that motivates them to finish a little stronger in the red zone than vs. Iowa.

Honestly, if we never went to Kinnick again, I wouldn't be upset.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:20 am

Reading the IU threads - the fan base is very (not worried) but scared of what Barkley may do. I know the fan base is not reflective how the game will be called, however, given the injuries (and the base is suggesting that those out, may remain out) and who is injured, IU may have a difficult time stopping the run. Barkley is Barkley - he really doesn't need the help and IU- through no fault of their own - may be giving him a large amount of help.

If they key on Barkley, which I am quite sure they will (as will every team we play) and we roll McSorley and run the RPO, McSorley may have a big game. I think Barkley is going to get his yards regardless of what we run - however, I think he is going to be used as a decoy, a lot!

I see PSU testing the IU corners often - and look for TE passes over the middle. Balance may be a key factor in the game plan.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 am

If I'm IU, I follow the Hawkeye game plan - keep everything in front of you and limit the big plays. The classic Joe Paterno "bend-but-don't-break" defense. That is the way to go against this team. Keep it in front of you, slow down our offense, limit the scoring as best you can, and hope your offense can break enough plays or your defense can force enough TOs to outscore us. It very nearly worked on Saturday, too.

Indiana isn't Iowa. It's not a night game in Iowa either. That crowd last Saturday was amazing (and I read that some of our players had some good fun with the fans sitting near our bench - Barkley went over and shook some hands after the game I read). I think we manage this one pretty handily.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:31 am

Thankfully it's a 3:30 start, not noon.

I can see some hangover from last weekend. Indiana also played Penn State tough last year until PSU put them away late. I don't think it'll be that close though.

Penn State 45, Indiana 20.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:41 am

While I agree with B&W on the game plan to beat PSU, I do not think IU has the personnel to do so. I don't think we should overlook the injury chart for IU going into this game. I hate saying it will be a big factor, but it will. Their D is missing key people in key positions.

A 3:30 start time was also mentioned by IU fans as the kiss of death when PSU has it at home.
QUOTE: "The fan base will be juiced up and LOUD! It's not a place you want to play at 3:30"

While I think Barkley will be too much for IU depleted D, i think we see PSU spread the wealth this week. McSorley moving in the pocket will be key. I also think Johnson is coming into his own, he is starting to let his talent shine. Confidence can bring things out that we knew were there but has to develop for that player.

Point of Interest:
PSU end zones will feature the vintage argyle designs as well as the throwback unis
http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... iver_index

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:22 pm

I'd like to see a lot of passing this game - not because PSU needs to do it but to start finding consistency in the pass game and have a clear # 1 and # 2 receiver emerge. Like to see that over the next two games. Going into 2nd half PSU will need teams to know if they sell out on Barkley or just try to take away Gesecki that they will get torched by Johnson, Hamilton, Thompkins and company. Doesn't have to be all splash plays but if you can take 8-12 yard slants, outs and quick hooks at will you keep teams down the road honest.

Defensively just keep on rotating and developing good depth. Campbell has looked strong in coverage, Haley is a big play corner, Allen an enforcer, Cabinda was all over the place in Iowa and Shareef Miller is stepping up.

Special Teams - would like to see FG team get on track.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:29 pm

sameoldlama wrote:
Special Teams - would like to see FG team get on track.

This needs to be a priority!