College Sports Scandals

sameoldlama

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:41 am

See below for the profit generated by CFB programs - quite impressive for "amateur" athletics - and my guess is that doesn't factor in B1? TV Network money (which we all know exists only because of football and men's hoops)

The 20 most profitable college football programs

Here are the nation’s 20 most profitable college football programs, via Forbes:

1. Texas A&M: $107 million
2. Texas: $87 million
3. Michigan: $75 million
4. Oklahoma: $72 million
5. Notre Dame: $72 million
6. Ohio State: $69 million
7. Florida: $67 million
8. Auburn: $61 million
9. Tennessee: $60 million
10. Alabama: $59 million
11. LSU: $56 million
12. Georgia: $55 million
13. Oregon: $54 million
14. Arkansas: $54 million
15. South Carolina: $50 million
16. Penn State: $48 million
17. USC: $47 million
18. Nebraska: $46 million
19. Wisconsin: $43 million
20. Ole Miss: $42 million
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:33 pm

So I guess I would say some of the money going to coaches and admins should be going to players.

Under Title IX, I don't see how you could get away with paying the football team and not paying the women's field hockey team. It doesn't matter to Title IX that the money is being generated by the football program. As far as Title IX is concerned, the money belongs to the school, not the football program. And it has to be spent evenly on male and female athletes.
Klaatu barada nikto

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:37 pm

I wonder how that value is calculated. aTm is 20 million more than the next school? Wow.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:56 pm

The Aggies got boatloads of alumni contributions to the football program - far above any other program.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:47 am

I am still trying to wrap my head around how you can have a list of "most profitable" non-profit institutions.

My issue with college sports, and coaches salaries, and really the whole system, is this is a billion dollar industry that largely hides under the umbrella of tax-exempt not-for-profit universities - many of which are state owned and all of which are, to some extent, tax payer funded - who have these athletic departments that generates millions of dollars in "profits" (which are never really counted as such) and pay their top staff millions of dollars. All the while gauging Mr. and Mrs. middle class wage earner who has to watch their kids go $100,000 in debt while politicians and talking heads talk about how we can't afford to better subsidize education and we all need to tighten the belt a little more.

It's an insane prioritizaiton of money and resources.
Is it baseball season yet?

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Entertainment

You think more than a handful of people in Alabama care about education and by association the kids?

That is the scandal, it is entertainment and $. Look at where the argument has moved. The players should share in the $. Nobody argues that they should get a 5th year of real education. 1% go pro and most of them will be out in 3 years with no education and they'll be broke.

The Grand Experiment? Success with honor? A hand full of schools run competitive programs with players (on average) that belong in an institution of higher learning.

It is becoming clearer all the time.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 pm

ou think more than a handful of people in Alabama care about education and by association the kids?

Yes, I do. Look, I can be fairly cynical and I enjoy humor based on regional prejudices as much as the next guy. But, I refuse to believe the majority of people in Alabama don't care about their kids getting an education. What I do believe is they don't see the connection between the money generated by football and the constant gauging they are taking on tuition.

And, I agree with you on what the real scandal is here. It's even more egregious when you look at the graduation rates for black students. The thing that irked me the most about the way they went after Joe was all this BS about how Joe didn't care about kids. Joe had faults, no doubt, but his track record on making sure his players were educated and decent people more than football players was unassailable. Or so we all thought.

These institutions of higher learning should be ashamed of themselves. It's one of the reasons I watch PSU but otherwise don't focus much on college sports anymore. I was a huge college football fan for years. But, it's just such a moral cesspool I can barely stomach supporting it.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Just using Alabama as an example. But most fans will accept football players with a 90 IQ or a 700 SAT so long as they win.

And if you have visited the NCAA site over the years you will recognize they have reduced the data regarding academics and academic performance. I believenyhey have also lost the minority graduation rate.

Remember 30 years ago when the intro of players included majors and academic performance for peak performers?

The recruiting marketing at Alabama et al is win championships, make the NFL. Players still go to Stanford for an education.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:07 pm

And if you have visited the NCAA site over the years you will recognize they have reduced the data regarding academics and academic performance. I believenyhey have also lost the minority graduation rate.

I didn't know that. That's pretty sad.

Like I said, I don't focus much on college sports anymore, and this is why.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Maryland football coach DJ Durkin, has been reinstated by Maryland. This is an absolute joke! Lets highlight a few things these asshats did to college kids:
-McNair was called a pussy as he was dying
-Court would humiliate players in front of their teammates by throwing food, weights, and on one occasion a trash can full of vomit
-Court allegedly choked an injured player with a lateral muscle pulldown

There is not way in hell I would let my kid play on that football team! I wonder why the NCAA is not investigating this?? I hope Maryland's coach doesn't make it to the field on Saturday. Apparently, some players walked out when Durkin addressed the team.