College Sports Scandals

sameoldlama

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:46 am

I believe Curley and Schultz were both aware of the 98 allegations / investigation via PSU police Tom Harmon who worked with the State College PD and communicated to investigators they wanted to be kept appraised - Curley and Schultz relayed info to Paterno who essentially got it 3rd hand. So all of them were aware. So in 2001 this should of been a "are you kidding me - again?". I'm not going to be shocked - if you get to find out what really happened somehow in the afterlife (cause it ain't happening in this life) - Paterno ousted JS because he suspected his behavior with kids was a problem.

Lion - you mention your Y experience - how many times did a one of the coaches buy a kid gifts, pull him out of school, or take him swimming / showering alone after hours? I hope the answer is none.

I think a lot of people knew he was sketchy - maybe they didn't know just how bad he was - and they either took half measures or tried to push the problem out of their building and hoped someone else would deal with the problem.

My point on the Catholic Church is - there were a lot of good people who worked there - some actively worked to cover up the issue - some probably looked the other way and some probably made the very bad decision that they could handle the problem internally. But before they mishandled the issue I'm sure most people who have considered them "good, moral people".
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Hey, remember that time the Michigan State board of trustee member laughed off the very idea of firing University President Simon because she did nothing wrong and they had bigger things to deal with? And how she was fired like the very next day? Well, turns out even the part where she did nothing wrong may have been inaccurate too. Towit: Simon charged with lying to police about Nassar investigation.

Spanier was pilloried, prosecuted convicted for not taking actions on events he heard about 3rd hand. I kind of feel like of the trio of Schutlz, Curley and Spanier, Spanier is the one who really got a raw deal. But, this accusation is that she knew what was going on, that there was some investigations, and still didn't fuqall qbout it.

If Spanier went to jail for his actions/inactions, then she could be in a lot of trouble here.
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:04 pm

I generally don't have ill will towards people. She is an exception though.

Karma, baby!!
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:11 am

Last January, the NCAA wrote to MSU and asked them to detail any and all NCAA violations that may have occured in the handling of the Larry Nassar affair. In March, MSU responded to that request and told the NCAA that while what Nasser did was "abhorrent" (a direct quote), he did not provide student-athletes with any illegal benefits or substances, and, therefore, did not violate any specific NCAA rules. The specifics of the MSU resposne was made public and reported sometime last spring.

The NCAA, to the best of my knowledge, has not responded to that response.

Here is my question: how is that fucking possible? In light of how they involved themselves in the PSU affair - that not only did not involve any student athletes but not even a member of the PSU coaching staff - how is that possible? How can they ignore this? It still amazes me. And, given that this did involve actual student athletes, and that the NCAA rules requires schools to protect the well being of student athletes, how can they pretend they have zero jurisdiction here?

To be clear, I don't necessarily want the NCAA involved. What I want is their hypocrisy laid bear and their leadership forced out. That's what I want.

All I want for Christmas is Emmert to collect unemployment. I don't care if he walks away rich and with a big severance package. I just care that he's somewhat disgraced and gone.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:33 pm

For Emmert to be disgraced he would need to feel shame which would require ethics, morals and a conscience - so sorry to say B&W I don't think you are going to get your wish.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Ok, then I'll settle for just gone.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:47 am

Blue&White wrote:Ok, then I'll settle for just gone.

After a major media reporting campaign of his hypocrisy and shame permeates the sports world and the business world, top to bottom, then he may leave, if possible, in a bright pink jump suit. :roll:
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 am

Meyer announced he's retiring from OSU. Hard to believe it's not at all related to the Smith incident.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:27 am

Can't say I'm surprised after watching drop to his knee in the sidelines. Padding a legacy is not worth sacrifing your health or your life. Love him or hate him, you have to admit the guy can coach.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 am

He's an all-time coach, like him or not. Regardless of who replaces him (outside of Saban), tOSU is a little weaker, and thus PSU a little stronger.

I can only imagine the party that is happening in Ann Arbor right now...