College Sports Scandals

Crowbar

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby Crowbar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:39 am

I doubt the NCAA takes any significant punitive action against Louisville, USC or any other school from here on out. I think the lawsuits and reversal of sanctions involving Penn State will hamper the NCAA's ability to do so for a long time.

I can see them punishing specific individuals, but not entire institutions.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:39 pm

This is potentially one of the biggest scandals to hit college sports ever given the number of schools involved and the fact the Feds are involved. And here we are several days after the story as has broken and NCAA overlord Mark Emmert hasn't seen fit to publicly address it - now he might be busy picking out new custom built office furniture, combing his hair, shredding documents / erasing texts or looking for his checkbook to make good on those donation pledges he made decades ago or perhaps he's taking the Curley / Schultz / Spanier approach to hoping this all just goes away.

Lack of institutional control Markey - and I don't mean the schools - I mean your institution. The NCAA is a joke - all the evidence and jurors are now in.

But then again maybe our country's fine academic and social elites are teaching us yet another lesson of the brave new world. We've learned the new biology in which there are about 74 genders, the new free speech which means - agree with me or I have the moral certainty to either vandalize property or randomly assault people, the new economics which states if the government confiscates money from you to pay for something for me that thing was free - this is just the new linguistics and we are simply redefining amateurism and "not for profit" for the progressive era.

For folks who regularly slam capitalism they sure seem to enjoy it in its most raw and unfettered form.

tempe

Postby tempe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:21 pm

spot on Lama

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:30 pm

One thing about living in a world of 5 second sound bytes, at least the info is out there. The problem is there's so much corruption shoved down our throats on a daily basis in almost every facet of society, that many have become numb to it.

At some point 'we' have to become outraged. God help the villains if 'we' ever do.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm stunned by these revelations. I always assumed that big-time college basketball was totally on the level.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:19 pm

As I have read the domino which fell first was a financial planner who was busted on a different federal fraud investigation who gave up this fraud to save his own hide. Aside from the splash of publicity they will get I am sure the Feds will have a keen interest in all these 6 figure unreported transactions going on.

Someone didn't report these payments as income (and for a payment as high as $150K that's not exactly petty theft). Someone likely reported this as a legitimate business expense. A lot of someones are going to have some big problems and they are going to throw some someone elses under the bus to save themselves from heading to a jail cell.

Just when Nike was giving us all civics lesson on the anthem turns out they were engaged in fraud and money laundering.

I'm forming a parody band called the 6th Parallel - our first song will be "Age of Hypocrisy"

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:01 pm

I have no words. I used to have words, but they've been stolen from me by the frauds who continue to perpetuate confusion on every level in effort to chase the almighty dollar. These people are despicable.

I just wonder what Coach Pitino would have said if one of those kids came home with herpes...or AIDS.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:32 pm

psu_dad wrote:I'm stunned by these revelations. I always assumed that big-time college basketball was totally on the level.

I'm shocked - SHOCKED! - there is corruption in a billion dollar industry that has to compete for free labor.

92 - that's a good point. And, my guess is Pitino's response would have been the same as it was the first time: "no one told me about it".

Not to get back on my high horse about this, but this is why I was disgusted when Franklin got that huge contract in the first instance. And I'm even less happy about the big raise he got. You pay these coaches that kind of money, you have this much money in play, and this is the kind of thing that is going to happen. I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg.

I hope someone goes after Adidas and Nike civilly and criminally.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:51 pm

I would pay cash money to watch Phil Knight do a perp walk with a Nike windbreaker over his head. But that's not going to happen.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Blue&White wrote:Rick Pitino was just fired from Louisville. The AD is out as well.

I copied the below from an ESPN article to explain what why:

"On Tuesday, 10 men -- including a top Adidas executive and four assistant coaches -- were charged with using hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to influence star athletes' choice of schools, shoe sponsors, agents, even tailors. Federal prosecutors said at least three top high school recruits were promised payments of as much as $150,000, using money supplied by Adidas, to attend two universities sponsored by the athletic shoe company. Louisville's president later confirmed the school is part of the investigation."

He should be banned from coaching at the college level. Everyone involved should be banned from forever working in any capacity with an athletic department of any university. I heard earlier this is the 3rd time in like a year Louisville had been caught doing something. Curious to see if the NCAA has the stones to do anything about it.

Was he fired? Wasn't he was placed on unpaid leave? College basketball is wickedly corrupt because one player can make a huge difference for a team. These kids are being groomed in middle school by greedy mofo's. I hope Nova has their nose clean