College Sports Scandals

PSUgrower

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:11 pm

This is where I get lost in the this world. I loathe OSU and want nothing more than Urban fired because I hate their program. But to fire a person because they did what they were supposed to do is beyond my comprehension. Okay, so he lied about the incident at Big 10 days. I have no problems if you fire him for lying if thats what OSU wants to do, but to fire him because he didn't become Mr. Gumshoe is silly. Do you guys know what your colleagues are doing once they leave the work place? I sure as hell don't! I am just tired of this armchair society that we live in. Apparently everyone never makes a mistake and all the talking heads are perfect. Again, this is what bothered me about the whole Paterno case. He did what he was supposed to do, but the public wanted a head on a stick. They literally got their head!

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:43 pm

PSUgrower wrote:I don't think urban goes. He did what he was supposed to do and there was never a police report. That is what always pissed me off about paterno situation. These guys are not detectives and shouldn't be detectives. Btw, I watched an interview of Smith last night and that guy is an ahole. I think that interview helped urban big time

It's my understanding that there is a police report, one that was redacted to remove the arrested box. Funny how that happens in metro Columbus.

Joe was thrown under the bus by the BoT of PSU, Urbs is being handled with kid gloves by the BoT of OSU. He is royalty in Columbus and the entire state for a fact. Joe was too but OSU doesn't throw around Success With Honor all the time nor the never charged with a Major Violation by the NCAA factoid freely advertised so a virtual glass house doesn't exist at the same level as did at PSU when the boom was lowered by those anxiously awaiting the opportunity.

What I don't grasp is that given the sexual abuse accusations with photographs in possession of OSU for years, other sexual abuse accusations on their swimming team and now physical abuse on a continuing basis by an asst. football coach knowingly acknowledged by the HC.......where is the NCAA and Big10 institutional control accusations as they were Johnny on the Spot @ PSU.

The fact that the Big10 network reporting never invokes the word scandal when discussion any OSU situation is also questionable as they freely use that term when PSU is mentioned, even during telecasts of football games years after the fact. More of an irritant yet it continues unabated. Will the criminal incidents and negligence at OSU continually be thrown in their fans faces for a decade or generation or longer? I doubt it.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 am

OSU says it will complete it investigation within 14 days. I'm not sure what the starting point is but it sounds like they are going to reach a decision prior to the start of the football season. My guess is the majority of people have formed an opinion on what should or should not happen based solely on their personal views of OSU and Meyer himself.

That they are committed to getting this completed this month has me rethinking this a bit. Maybe they will decide to keep him on if he can show he reported as required. I guess we will find out prior to Labor Day.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:49 am

I had the same thoughts when I heard that a decision would be made that soon. To me, that smells like a cult of football more than getting real answers. Sorry if that sounds judgmental.

I assumed they would make a decision on Meyer by the start of the season, but I never imagined they would wrap the whole thing up that quickly. I hope their decisions are based in facts and reality and that they don't get blindsided when the case goes to court.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:54 am

You may hope there is an honest assessment but you just indicated you're not going to believe there is if he stays. Which is the problem for OSU. Which is why I think he's out. But, the rush to conclude has me second guessing it.

We will see. I still think the expectations and focus is being placed in the wrong area.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:34 am

My opinion can change as information is revealed, but at this point I do not have enough to make my mind up for sure. That said, with the information I have, I don't think Meyer stays and my gut feeling is that his statement Friday is a load of bull. If they have proof that the football staff and athletic department did what was required, I have no problem with Meyer remaining as coach. I do believe that two or three weeks is not really enough time to accurately get to the bottom of this.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:11 am

If I were a decision maker on this I would be looking for three things

1. Did Mayer intervene or seek to influence any police investigation into domestic complaints in regards to Smith
2. Did Mayer follow or make good faith effort to follow University protocol in terms of reporting (and IMO that should be answerable in a day as you would think there would be a documented record of report)
3. Did Mayer seek to influence or deter the victim from reporting the domestic violence to authorities

I don't have an issue with him not divulging what he knew to media - it's not his place to provide info that could impact potential criminal or civil proceedings that do not directly involve him.

I do feel Mayer and his wife were in a damned if you do, damned if you don't spot - based on what I've read Smith's wife was confiding in Mayer's wife but also saying she did want to press the issue through the legal system. I don't know what she expected Mayer to do - he's a football coach - not the DA or a marriage counselor. If the Mayers report they betray her confidence and if she doesn't follow through with charges or leaves guy I can't imagine her home situation gets better. If they don't report they risk getting hung by the press and University.

I'd be as happy as any PSU fan to see OSU's program turned upside down but everyone - even a Buckeye deserves due process. Assuming he reported as required and didn't seek to intervene with police / DA to avoid Smith facing charges and he didn't try to dissuade the victim from pressing charges or leaving Smith I don't think he should lose his job. If he failed in one of the three areas I listed above I would say at minimum suspension and up to termination are appropriate.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:15 am

I do feel Mayer and his wife were in a damned if you do, damned if you don't spot - based on what I've read Smith's wife was confiding in Mayer's wife but also saying she did want to press the issue through the legal system. I don't know what she expected Mayer to do - he's a football coach - not the DA or a marriage counselor. If the Mayers report they betray her confidence and if she doesn't follow through with charges or leaves guy I can't imagine her home situation gets better. If they don't report they risk getting hung by the press and University.

This gets back to my question about reporting. I know both of them are mandatory reporters but when does that obligation kick in? His wife didn't learn of the abuse as a nurse, she learned of it as a friend. Does she still have a legal obligation? If she does, and if he does, they are screwed, though. Part of the reason they make reporting mandatory is because battered spouses often don't report and don't want it reported because they are afraid of what happens next. That's why they take the judgment out of the hands of certain people and force them to report it. If this falls into that category, then the Meyers may have a serious problem if they didn't report.

Also, I completely agree with Lama on due process. I think I've been clear on that. I just find it tough to believe that OSU is going to care about the facts more than the perception.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:25 am

I don't know why, but this reminds me of a guy I used to work with (now retired) who was born in Columbus, OH ... grew up there in the 50s and 60s ... went to OSU to get a degree and a graduate degree ... and probably knew less about OSU football than anyone on the planet.

Couldn't give two poops about the football program. I should look him up and ask him what he thinks. He's totally neutral. :lol:

--------------------------------

3. Did Mayer seek to influence or deter the victim from reporting the domestic violence to authorities

Shelley Smith said in her recent interview that she believed (believed, not knew) that Urban was aware of the 2015 incident because she (Smith) told Urban's wife. If Urban sought to influence her at the time, she wouldn't have to speculate on whether he knew. Ultimately, this will probably come down to #2.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:32 am

We don't have to guess. Meyer says he knew and reported it.