College Sports Scandals

psu_dad

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:49 am

He didn't say that until AFTER the Shelley Smith interview.

My point was that I'm willing to accept that Mayer didn't try to influence Smith in 2015. There's no way she doesn't mention that in her interview, were that the case.
-----------------

EDIT: That should be Courtney Smith.
Last edited by psu_dad on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:29 pm

That's a good point, _dad. She said that both Urban and Earl Bruce (I believe) convinced her not to report the instance at Florida, so if he had tried to convince her the same this time - even if it was the best of intentions rather than just for the sake of the football team - I bet she would have said something.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:27 pm

I saw the entire interview. No reasonable person could watch it and conclude that Urban Meyer and Courtney Smith spoke to each other regarding the 2015 incident.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:59 pm

I didn't think that was even alleged, though. The question is did his wife tell him? And, he says he knew and he properly reported it. But, whether or not he knew about the allegations of abuse is not in question - he says he did. So, I'm not following the track here.

The question, I think, is will it be sufficient for him to say "I met my legal minimum requirement" but kept him on the staff for another 2+ years? And, that's a question the OSU board will have to answer based on their reading of public opinion and potential backlash.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Exactly! Meyer admitted he knew, even if he said he didn't to the press. He kept Smith on until the story started to become public, then he fired him. Besides the story getting out, what changed to justify firing if it wasn't before? There may be other choices, but it seems to me that they should have fired him but didn't, or they didn't want to face scrutiny of having an alleged wife beater on the staff and cut him loose when the story broke.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:12 pm

I didn't think that was even alleged, though.

I don't believe so. My comments were in response to lama's post about the three things OSU should be investigating. That's why I cut & paste lama's words into my post.

Mrs. psu_dad: Stop being snarky.
Me: He started it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:20 pm

He kept Smith on until the story started to become public, then he fired him. Besides the story getting out, what changed to justify firing if it wasn't before?

That's my take as well. Meyer seemed content to let this slide until it became public, then he dropped a house on Smith.

In fairness to Meyer, it was only recently that the alleged abuse went beyond he-said/she-said to an actual court order. When Courtney Smith recently requested (and was granted) a protective order by a judge, that's when the entire episode became public. So was it the court order or the bad publicity that prompted Meyer to act? I'm guessing he'll claim it was the former.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:30 pm

In my estimation - if Meyer did report it - then firing Smith isn't simply a Meyer "doing the right thing" solo decision - at that point you are firing for cause and that should run through AD, legal and HR. Similar to the 98 Sandusky investigation - if no charges are brought I would think firing for cause would require a legal review - though technically a HC can always say he was dissatisfied with a coach (assuming OSU is an at will work state) and not cite cause (and just eat whatever he had on his contract).

I'm assuming this is why OSU is taking time on this - if the decision comes down to terminate Meyer I'm guessing OSU doesn't want to shell out tens of millions of dollars in a wrongful termination suit is they are going to attempt to void his contract for non-compliance with policy. But I think this is very different from PSU situation - where you had people itching to push Paterno out - I doubt that's the case with Meyer at OSU given the results he produced in his tenure there and their recent recruiting.

At this point it's not just PR posturing - it's a full blown legal matter with significant risks attached to poor decisions (see PSU) - everyone involved should take a large helping of STFU and refer all questions to their legal representation.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Meyer is saying he reported an incident from 2015. Smith was fired like 6 weeks ago, and only after a public court hearing. So, OSU has a potential PR disaster on their hands, even if everyone met their legal thresholds. That's the problem for them.

If they get rid of Meyer they will still have to pay him out, mist most likely.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Meyer is saying he reported an incident from 2015. Smith was fired like 6 weeks ago, and only after a public court hearing. So, OSU has a potential PR disaster on their hands, even if everyone met their legal thresholds. That's the problem for them.

Meyer is kinda/sorta throwing someone (else) under the bus here: "Hey, all I heard were second-hand allegations and I reported them. As soon as I heard something concrete, from an actual court, I acted. So it's not on me."