College Sports Scandals

LioninVa

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby LioninVa » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:00 am

I have not read the report and am not sure I will. Golic Jr read a paragraph from it that claims Mayer suffers from memory loss as a result of medication and that was the "out" they needed to not hold him accountable. Of course, Wingo fires back with something like, "how do they explain him remembering a bad call or series of plays during a post game presser?"

My thinking is that, if he did nothing wrong, why the suspension? Considering tOSU touted their zero tolerance policy, I expected all or nothing, and the 3 games doesn't fit with that. But, what do I know?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 am

I think the biggest point in the OSU report is the local cops investigated Smith for 15 months and at the end no charges were filed. If the cops didn't come up with anything how can you reasonably expect the OSU athletic department to step up and solve this?

The failure to report is problematic but I'm not willing to throw a bunch if shade at OSU for not acting when the cops couldn't find a reason to file charges.

It's over as far as I'm concerned.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 am

If the cops didn't come up with anything how can you reasonably expect the OSU athletic department to step up and solve this?

You're missing the beauty of Title IX. It allows universities to dispense with all the legal system "due process" crap and just nail someone to a cross based on an accusation. And that's exactly what they would have done to Meyer were he an under-performing coach. But he's not, so he gets to keep his job. Were he the HC of the swim team, who hasn't won a national title since the Beatles were popular, he'd be dead meat.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:48 am

Even with that, if it's true that he did not follow through with the mandatory reporting, I can't believe he kept his job. The "he has memory loss" argument is laughable. I've seen him interviewed. That doesn't seem to be an issue for him.

I think they are going to get skewered over that.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Walt

Postby Walt » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:13 pm

Let's be clear...

he reported it to his boss, AD Gene Smith. The BOT found that both he & Smith erred by not reporting this to their own compliance office. The BOT did not find that he technically violated any OSU policy. It was more poor judgement for not letting compliance know.

Word around tow here is that the BOT did not want to discipline Meyer in any way. President Drake insisted on something...thus three games. After watching the press conference it's surprising Smith was not fired. He was in the loop from the get go.

The most shocking thing to me about this... they deliberated for 12 hours yesterday. I'm sure the suspension was as much about optics as it was punishment. Both Smith and more so Urban looked unprepared during the press conference. I can't believe the OSU PR people didn't pull Smith and Urban aside for an hour or two prior to the press conference to prep them for the questions they'll get.

Walt

Postby Walt » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:27 pm

And I love hearing the righteous talking heads in the media saying Urban didn't "do enough to stop the abuse." How exactly was Urban going to stop the abuse? He's not law enforcement. He can't arrest and incarcerate the guy. And even if he fired him... how does that prevent the abuse? The guy could have and probably would have gone home after being fired and abused his wife some more. It's just stupid.

There is no evidence of a cover up. There is no evidence that he failed to report to his boss. Urban's offense is he is guilty of exercising poor judgement by continuing to employ a coach who was accused (but never proven, charged or even arrested) of DV. Regardless if the guy was guilty of abuse or not, at some point he wasn't worth the head ache to keep around. Had he not been the grandson of a former OSU coach and friend/mentor of Urban, he would have been fired in 2015 and Urban more or less admitted that in the press conference.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:48 pm

I agree with you on the point about "what was he supposed to do". What was he supposed to do? He's a football coach.

As for Smith being fired if he didn't have his connections, I'm not sure that's a good thing either. It sounds like he's a piece of shit, but it is problematic if we are just going to fire someone for accusations and innuendos. Sometimes those accusations will be true, but sometimes they won't. As a general concept, I don't have a problem with someone saying "I know this person and I took them at their word they were innocent" absent some other evidence that they are not. In this instance, it seems there was other evidence he was abusing his wife, but who knows what UM knew.

Finally, thanks for the clarification on the reporting. I had read he said he did report it and this morning I saw he did not. It sounds like it was a techinical violation. I still think it's nuts that you are not required to call someone who can actually do something about it, but those don't seem to be the rules.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:42 pm

I was shocked when I heard he was suspended as up until Walt's post I hadn't heard what he had done wrong.

And after reading Walt's post I'm in that camp of - huh? If he reported to AD but not compliance officer - that seems kind of ticky tack to me. And I agree - he's a football coach not a cop. The cop's did a full investigation and didn't pursue anything - he's a football coach, not Columbus DA or Ohio AG.
Basically this sounds really familiar that a coach reports something he becomes aware of (didn't witness) - reports it to his superiors and is getting hung out to try for "not doing something more". Sounds like the admin is doing nothing more than using the lens of hindsight to make themselves look virtuous and avoid a PR fiasco.

And this is PSU people saying this about an OSU coach that has beat us like a drum and was rumored to have been Paterno's replacement before skipping town after Sandusky bomb hit.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Former MSU gymnastics coach has been charged with lying to the cops during the Larry Nassar investigation. Whoops. Link

She is looking at 4 years in prison. There are reports that over a 20 year period several girls told her that Nassar molested them and she did absolutely nothing about it. And then when the cops came asking, she lied and said no one ever told her anything. She should do every single day of those 4 years IMHO. She is also facing 2 years for a misdemeanor but I think that the felony will supercede and the most she can do is 4. Maybe Michigan law is different. But, if she can do 6, then she should do every minute of those 6 years. Screw her.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:55 pm

If the charges are accurate I don't think 6 short years is even close to enough time she needs to spend in prison.

20 years of cover up should mean at least 20 years in the slammer.

Otherwise, you're absolutely correct about her.
41-33.