College Sports Scandals

LioninVa

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby LioninVa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:00 am

At least we know which rules the association really values.

What a joke...

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:33 am

Blue&White wrote:The NCAA saves the day again.

Our heroes.

You have got to be kidding me. :shock:
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Law suit claims that Larry Nassar drugged, raped and impregnated an MSU athlete and the MSU AD covered it up.

Wow. Good thing the NCAA knows their boundaries or they would have some serious problems.

Oh, and the cops were a big help:

“The police told them that since she was an athlete, she had to report it to the athletic department,” the lawsuit claims. “The detective explicitly told them that he was powerless to investigate anything that takes place [in] the athletic department and to go to the athletic department. Plaintiff Erika explained that the athletic department already dismissed it and the sergeant responded that George Perles is a ‘powerful man,’ and she should just drop it.”

Holy shit. I sincerely hope that is not true. I bet it is, but I hope it's not.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 am

I've read that part you cut&paste several times and I still can't wrap my mind around it. That has to be a misunderstanding.

STUDENT: I need to report a rape.
CAMPUS POLICE: You're a Biology major. We can't touch that. You have to report it to the College of Arts & Sciences.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 am

It is mind boggling. And, I have a sick feeling it ain't a misunderstanding.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:32 am

You should probably stop there dad because after that you'd have to make sense of the NCAA coming down on some kids for playing soccer with a rock band immediately after shrugging their shoulders at an institution that had a molestation scandal bigger than the Sandusky scandal.

It's pretty clear to me the NCAA has internally come to grips with what complete frauds they are and will be bypassing on acting on any major issue - especially involving power programs - while picking on the skinniest kids in the school yard (individual players in non-revenue sports or on crappy teams) and just stuff as much cash in their pockets before they go the way of the 8 Track.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:40 am

I'm happy to rag on the NCAA, but I'm not sure how they are responsible for the local police abdicating their responsibility over a criminal matter. That's on the police, the city of East Lansing and MSU (who clearly took steps to push that to happen). The NCAA maybe should get involved in investigating that - maybe - but this is really a matter for the State's Attorney in my mind.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:00 am

I would say the academic scandals at UNC, the recruiting scandals recently exposed in hoops and the flat out criminal enterprise that was "Da U" football from about 1985-2005 are all precisely thing the NCAA should be shutting down and they largely botched all those matters.

In my estimation the MSU aspect just shows a major inconsistency as it is pretty much what they nailed another school we all are very familiar with to the cross for - quite frankly if I'm PSU I'm a little pissed at both the NCAA and the B1?. I agree criminal matters should be referred to the criminal justice system but that's not the stance the NCAA and B1? took - they positioned themselves as the morally righteous defenders of the children - so if it was the right thing to do to PSU why isn't it the right thing now. And if it was the wrong thing then how about returning all the cash you took.

They are frauds. They leech off student athletes for their own enrichment and any promotion of student athlete benefit is merely window dressing to allow to continue to exploit them for financial gain.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:05 pm

It is very rare where one of us writes something and the other is in complete agreement with every single word of it. This is one of those rare moments.

And, if the B1? is not going to give us our cash back, then when are they taking a similar amount from MSU? The connections between PSU and the crimes of Sandusky were tenuous. Here, there were active cover ups. PSU really can't say anything because it comes off as self serving. It would be nice if someone else spoke up, though.

As for your last point - I've been carying around a soapbox to preach on that issue for years. Shame we lost the old board because we could have revisted my rants when we first hired Frankin at a ridiculous amount of money and then later gave him a massive raise. I'm happy with him as a coach. I just think that an institution that takes funds from the public and has a tax exempt status should not be able to pay members of the athletic department the kind of money these coaches get. It's an insane misuse of scarce resources.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:37 pm

I'm not to bent over about what the coaches get paid if they perform - I think CJF's success with the program results in revenues far exceeding what he is paid. I do have an issue with coaches who tank here, tank there, tank everywhere get fired and collect checks from multiple schools (looking at you Charlie Weiss). I also have an issue with paying coaches what they do and then saying they have no money to pay players - you have plenty of money - it's just all going to the adults. So I guess I would say some of the money going to coaches and admins should be going to players.

And since coaches are free to jump to a better deal when they want players should be able to transfer without penalty.