College Sports Scandals

Shane

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby Shane » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:07 am

Maryland has been an up and down team this year but I will be shocked if they win another game. From what I'm reading, most players did not want him back. This just seems like a disaster.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:20 am

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what Maryland is thinking here. And, if the players aren't happy, there goes your season. That also isn't going to help recruiting much, either.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:20 am

Rutgers football player arrested for conspiracy to commit murder

I wonder how many games he would be suspended for at OSU? 4? Maybe 5? Probably depends on where they were in the season and if he's a starter or not. If he is, then he would probably be suspended for the first 4 games of next season so they can really teach him a lesson.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:23 pm

Annnnnd .... Maryland fires Durkin one day after reinstating him. I hope he didn't unpack.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:59 pm

This is the right decision four or five months late. I fully support the governor of Maryland’s statement leading to this decision.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:34 pm

I fully support the governor of Maryland’s statement leading to this decision.

Which one of his statements? The weak-ass one where he originally gave where he didn't undermine the people he appointed to the Board of Regents? Or the one he gave after the groundswell of public disgust started to grow? And, even his second statement didn't call for Durkin to be fired. It only called for a public hearing to address the issue in a transparent manner.

I'd have been fine if Maryland had agreed to do a public hearing and air all of this in an open forum so all the facts could become known and understood. And, I think the President of UM did the Regents a favor by firing him because I suspect (but don't really know) that a public hearing would have seriously called their judgement into question and raised some nasty questions about priorities (and how they are focused on money and not player safety). I'm ok with just firing Durkin too given that a player died on his watch after they failed to give him proper medical attention. But, if they decided to make his reinstatement subject to a public vetting of all the facts, that would have been absolutely spiffy with me. Actually, I would have preferred that because my gut sense is there is a lot here that is not really known and it should be. Like I said - I think President Loh did Durkin and the Regents a big favor by just firing him. Whether that was is intention or not is another question (I don't see any reason to think it was but who knows).

tempe

Postby tempe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 pm

I am happy to see this guy gone - for those you wondering what Tempe was thinking.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:46 am

I guess it is the second one, B-Dub, where he said the actions bring shame upon the UMd community and the state. I agree with that sentiment. I was unaware of the earlier comment you mentioned.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:41 am

My comments were not directed at you. It was more of a rant at the hypocrisy.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:50 am

Blue&White wrote:My comments were not directed at you. It was more of a rant at the hypocrisy.

Agreed. This is a decision which should not have been undertaken lightly and should have been based on a thorough investigation and review of the facts and legal ramifications as well as determining what was in the future best interest of the student athletes and the University.

When a decision so long in the making is reversed in 24 hours it makes you wonder why they don't just flip a coin or check what way the wind is blowing on Twitter and skip the actual review process.

So someone should explain how they arrived at decision over months of review only to deem it completely wrong 24 hours later.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall