College Sports Scandals

LioninVa

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby LioninVa » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:17 pm

I believe both questions are valid. Obviously, the how did this happen with her going to the olive is more important in the grand scheme of things. But, if it turns out that any portion of the reason is football, that is a big deal. I am not discounting all the women victims that don’t have this dynamic, as their voices need to be heard. But the fact that this case has the profile that it does could help pave the way for others.

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Not sure if this has been covered but Urbz is in trouble for saying he was unaware of this latest incindent @ Big Ten media day. The interview with Courtney I think was her way of saying eff you Urbz you knew and kept it quiet and based on the little I've read I think she's right.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Because of Smith's grandpa, Earle Bruce, former OSU Football HC following Hawaiian Punch Hayes. He personally went to the woman and asked her not to report it as it would destroy her husband's or estranged husband's career. This pressure along with others subdued her as the community abandoned her for football. That is the way it is in Ohio, it is worship not unlike SEC football worship. The change in the police report also is a metro Columbus affinity. OSU football players and people connected with the program, coaches and the like are very protected and insulated by LEO's and people in authority. It's a way of life in Columbus, Ohio. It's not new and it's endemic. To be exposed as an OSU football player or coach it must be egregious e.g. Tressel lying, Hayes assault, Cooper losing to UM or Oscar Meyer potentially lying or misrepresenting a required reporting situation.

Given this atmosphere, you can imagine how a woman may not be encouraged to report an assault by a connected OSU football personality and Smith was VERY connected, blue blood and genetic offspring of OSU royalty. Bruce RIP was/is Meyer's idol and mentor. This is how Smith retained his position originally and retained it given his indiscretions in 2009 and 2015. See all the links keeping her under wraps? Where was she to go? The police changed the reports they made originally, her last hope is dashed. Community ostracism was in her future, loss of all relationships, friends, etc. She had everything to lose and almost nothing to gain. That is why it took so long for her to come forth. Not unlike many university situations in athletics and gaps of years prior to reporting incidents.

Blue&White wrote:On a slightly different note: how was Smith not arrested and charges filed before it got to this point? I think I read Courtney Smith called the police 9 times. He hit her. He stalked her. The police were called several times. How come no one took action? How come no charges were filed? I may be wrong about this, but my impression is that it's not because Smith wasn't willing to file a complaint. It sounds like she did, on more than one occasion. It sounds like she thought her life was in danger. And yet, despite calling the police and basically begging for help, no one did anything.

How is that possible?

And, now we are, once again, in a situation where everyone wants to know why the Head Football Coach - who clearly has super powers - didn't swoop in, save the day and do the right thing where everyone else failed. Sound familiar?

I'm not letting Meyer off the hook. I have no idea what he knew or didn't know, but it's really hard to believe that he didn't know a member of his staff was abusing his wife. And, legally and contractually he had an obligation to tell someone. But, let's say that he did? There is zero evidence that it would have made a bit of difference.

I find it incredibly galling that this entire story is focused on what the football coaches and their wives did or didn't do and virtually none of the story, outside of a few isolated pockets here and there, are focusing on the fact that this woman seemed to be begging for help and the police and agencies who's job it is to protect her did absolutely nothing.

But, hey, let's not let that get in the way of blaming the football program. They are all knowing and all mighty so that's where we should focus.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:58 pm

Meyer now says he not only knew about the 2015 incident but also reported it as required. Nothing says "credibility" like a changing story.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:30 pm

1) It seems Joe had Red correctly report and he went down. 2) ESPN isn't good at getting the facts was we've seen. So who knows the truth. 3) NCAA will not get involved under 'lack of administrative control' or whatever that excuse was.

Guess it doesn't matter if the wife was lying, as employees the Meyers had to report. Does the wife take the fall and not Urb?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:41 pm

If it's true and confirmed Meyer reported it, is there even an issue? I still think he's gone regardless of the facts. Keeping a wife beater on the coaching staff is likely not the image OSU wants, but if he really reported it then I think everyone has to go. How do you dump the reporter and keep the reportee?
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:44 pm

WTF?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:47 pm

I think the statement is a load of Emmert. I can’t prove it, but it just doesn’t pass the smell test. Now he knew about it in 2015 but was compelled to keep th guy on staff. Then why fire him and why lie ( or mis-speak) when asked about it. Urban is not an idiot and this isn’t an old case.

Never mind the facr that just about enough time has elapsed for them to circle the wagons and make a game plan.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 pm

LioninVa wrote:I think the statement is a load of Emmert. I can’t prove it, but it just doesn’t pass the smell test. Now he knew about it in 2015 but was compelled to keep th guy on staff. Then why fire him and why lie ( or mis-speak) when asked about it. Urban is not an idiot and this isn’t an old case.

Never mind the facr that just about enough time has elapsed for them to circle the wagons and make a game plan.

Agreed. It's a last ditch effort to keep a cushy $40 mil. job. Can't blame him, I'd likely try it too. Problem is that from this point forward can we believe anything he says, even this statement? How do we know this is true? Not to worry, the crack investigative staff picks from OSU's self-investigation committee will certainly ferret out all the truth and report it completely......
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Not to worry, the crack investigative staff picks from OSU's self-investigation committee will certainly ferret out all the truth and report it completely......

Comments like that are why I will be shocked if Meyer survives. If the investigation concludes no wrongdoing no one outside of Columbus will believe it was not a whitewash. OSU isn't going to tolerate that.

My prediction is he is out the season and sometime after the bowls are all concluded he accepts a buy out and is gone.