College Sports Scandals

Carl Spackler

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 pm

Hope he gets a full buyout as that would be a 2/3 penalty on OSU of what PSU was fined. :roll:
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:06 am

Urban Meyer and Zach Smith finally broke their silence, and they may have made things worse

So, if I'm following this correctly, Meyer may have told OSU AD Gene Smith. Who did Smith tell? Were the proper authorities informed at any point (not that it seems to matter if they were). And then they tell each other, which means they all knew, and keep Zack Smith on the staff anyway. Not good.

Also, I don't understand the purpose of these reporting laws. Someone with no power to investigate a crime or arrest someone finds out about a potential crime and is required to tell someone else with no power to investigate or arrest. Because why, exactly? What am I not understanding about this process? There has to be something.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:47 am

My guess, and it is just that, it that it is similar to the military adage, “never be the senior guy with a secret.” You tell your supervisor and they are expected to act on the information, even if it means only notifying the next one on the ladder. Eventually, somebody has to take action.

Additionally, I believe medical professionals and educators are mandated to report because they are in positions to be more aware of potential abuse. Again, that is a guess.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:16 am

And then they tell each other, which means they all knew, and keep Zack Smith on the staff anyway.

In fairness, they didn't know what happened, They weren't there. They knew of an allegation. That's not the same thing. I'm not crazy about the idea that an accusation should automatically result in "you're fired". It happens all the time now, but I'm not crazy about it.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:23 am

I am sure that there’s a lot about this that I don’t understand. The one nagging thing is, if he wasn’t fired in 2015 when they learned of this, why fire him now? If they felt he was in the clear, why not say as much rather than react to pressure or criticism?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:43 am

In fairness, they didn't know what happened, They weren't there. They knew of an allegation. That's not the same thing. I'm not crazy about the idea that an accusation should automatically result in "you're fired". It happens all the time now, but I'm not crazy about it.

I think that's very fair. But, they probably knew about the bruises too. It seems the wives knew a lot, so it's tough to believe the husbands didn't know. I guess where I am with this is no one should lose their job over a mere accusation and the boss shouldn't lose his job for not acting on an accusation. But, was this just an accusation or did they know more.

The implications are they knew more. And the inconsistencies in the story don't help, even if Meyer's earlier false claims are understandable. I'm happy to wait for actual facts to be known, and I still think there is too much focus on Urban Meyer, but that is not going to be a majority view. I still think there is no way he survives this. No matter the facts.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:35 pm

The obvious comparison is how JoePa was treated in 2011. I don’t know if we have all the facts in either case but there was a blatant rush to blame Joe because he had to know. Because I believe that was the wrong way to deal with it, I am willing to wait for more facts to come out regarding this situation. If a crime was committed, the criminal should be punished. If it goes that way and Urbam and his wife were required to do something that they failed to do, they should also face consequences. I don’t know if firing is justified, but I also accept that tOSU will have to do something to show this is not acceptable. Or they have to be able to show that what they did was the right thing. That will be hard to do as this guy was eventually fired so they have to have a reason for that as well. Talk about your rock and hard place...

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm

I don't think urban goes. He did what he was supposed to do and there was never a police report. That is what always pissed me off about paterno situation. These guys are not detectives and shouldn't be detectives. Btw, I watched an interview of Smith last night and that guy is an ahole. I think that interview helped urban big time

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:01 pm

I have no idea what will happen but I'm not sure following the letter of the law is going to matter. If it comes out that he basically kept a known spouse abuser on the coaching staff there may be an uproar that forces OSU to act. And, unless there is clear, indisputable evidence he met his legal obligations, there is going to be screaming that this is a cover up to protect the football program.

We'll see if OSU has the stomach to weather the storm on this. I continue to predict they will not. Bad publicity and damage to their reputation and brand, whether it's reasonable or not, is not going to be tolerated. They story is likely going to be that even if he met his burden and reported it that he kept the guy on the team for 2 or 3 more years proves he didn't do enough, and somehow it was his job to make sure justice was served. That always seems to be the narrative in these things, no matter how ridiculous it may (or may not) be.

I may be wrong and you may be right. And, we don't yet have all the facts. But, I just can't see a version of the story where people say "oh, that makes sense. He should keep his job".

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:46 pm

I suspect that if he's fired, it will probably just continue to be be a national story for days/weeks. Once a prominent public figure is brought down, there's not much point in dancing over the dead body. And the righteous indignation angle is played out at that point. If he's NOT fired, it will probably be a national story for months.

I imagine their marketing/PR people are working over-time talking to prominent sponsors: "Say, just for grins, if we didn't dump the guy, could we count on you to stick around? Just asking".
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)