Tips for Visiting Happy Valley

nittwittier

Tips for Visiting Happy Valley

Postby nittwittier » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Hey guys. Apologies if this should be in another thread. But couldn't find one that made sense. Made for a specific problem I am facing, but figured others in the future could also use.

I am finally able to go back to State College this year for a game. Will be there for PSU-Michigan. But I (shockingly) cannot find anywhere to stay. I no longer have any friends in the area. Obviously all the hotels have been long taken. And even AirBNB is turning up zero options.

Any out of the box ideas? Neighboring towns I should look at, weird arrangements (like tents), etc.? Just need to stay one night. Realize this is a total shot in the dark and that I should have been better prepared. But I was either staying as a student or with students I knew heretofore. Kind of a sad realization that I no longer know anybody in the area. Thanks in advance!

Blue&White

Re: Tips for Visiting Happy Valley

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Start looking at areas at least 30 miles out. Where are you coming from? If you are coming form the east, maybe stay in Harrisburg and plan to drive early in the morning. From Harrisburg to SC is ~90 minutes. That's clearly not optimal but you may have to go out that far.

I'd just start checking availability on all the towns along the route. Start close and work your way back. You can probably do better than 90 miles, but I suspect you will end up no better than 40.

Good luck.

JerseyLion

Postby JerseyLion » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm

If coming from the west, Clearfield and DuBois have a few hotels and are only 45-60 minutes from Beaver Stadium.

I would imagine Altoona would have some vacancies if you were coming from the south or Pittsburgh.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Coming from the northeast (Boston) 4 times for games and not making reservations far in advance, I've never found a room closer than Danville. That's about 70 miles away. I made reservations for my son's graduation nearly a year in advance and was lucky to get a room about 30 miles out (forget the town). And I was told I got the last two rooms.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:37 pm

I haven’t looked in years, but after the stadium went to 107k. The closest from the southeast, that I was willing to pay was between Harrisburg and Hagerstown. And ended up canceling due to a hurricane...

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 pm

I will piggyback in and ask a few questions too if that's ok.

Buddy of mine has an RV and we are looking to head up for the Rutgers game. Trying to track down 5 tickets and an RV parking pass. Preliminary research shows that the only passes PSU is selling are off campus. We are looking to stay near the Stadium. Any info you could offer about where to find passes would be greatly appreciated.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:35 am

That game you're going to have issues finding a room,obviously. There are a few hotels 30-40 miles east in Milroy and McAlisterville/Port Royal area where you may have luck. But I would check ASAP. Good luck and welcome back!

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks so much everybody. Will probably book a hotel in Harrisburg and keep looking daily for a last-minute cancel.

So pumped to be going back :)