Indiana Post-Game

Blue&White

Re: Indiana Post-Game

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 am

I don't understand that worry. Why is he any more likely to get hurt doing that than running the ball? Should we reduce his touches also? Or do kick returners get hurt at a higher rate statistically?

A play when the running back takes the ball, everyone starts moving at the same time. A fast RB almost has an advantage. With a kick off or punt return, the defense is running full blast when contact is made. I don't know what the actual statistics are for injuries but with 30+ years of watching pro and college football, I can recall a lot more injuries from taking a kick return or a punt return than taking a handoff from scrimmage. I can think of a lot of instances where a good player got hurt and lost a season because he started returning kicks or punts. It's anecdotal and maybe my sample size is too small but I think there is a reason you generally don't see star players taking the ball that way.

Of the 2, punts seem a lot more dangerous. With kickoffs, you get that wedge in front of the guy and he usually the return man is already running forward full blast by the time contact is made. With punts, you often see the return man get blasted shortly after catching the ball. So, at least they don't have him doing that. But, generally, I think having him return kicks is a bad idea because it increases his likelihood of getting hurt.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:46 am

There was a good article on PennLive a few weeks ago where Charles Huff, the running backs coach and special teams coordinator disputed just the things you said. He said (just as you did) that punt returning is a whole different animal but that kickoff returners are no more susceptible to getting hurt then as on a running play. Quite frankly, I worry more about when Barkley gets snowed under by several defenders behind the line and he's struggling to make a gain and his legs get all twisted up and 3 guys fall on him.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 am

This was a lopsided score because we took advantage of all the mistakes IU made. It's a good win, but in this case it does make you nervous for the later part of the schedule against mistake-free teams...

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 am

Does this team have things to improve on? Of course and that's a good thing, they've only played 5 of 12 regular season games. We all need to calm down a little bit. Indiana isn't the worst team in the world and they still got whipped by 45-14. And to put things in perspective, PSU has lost ONCE in the last calendar year. I mean seriously, if anyone had told you in October of 2015 that two years later PSU would be on a 14-1 streak you'd have had them committed. They've got talent and good coaching. They'll continue to get even better.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 am

Shore Lion wrote:There was a good article on PennLive a few weeks ago where Charles Huff, the running backs coach and special teams coordinator disputed just the things you said. He said (just as you did) that punt returning is a whole different animal but that kickoff returners are no more susceptible to getting hurt then as on a running play. Quite frankly, I worry more about when Barkley gets snowed under by several defenders behind the line and he's struggling to make a gain and his legs get all twisted up and 3 guys fall on him.

I find myself taking an involuntary deep breath every time Barkley gets snowed under in the way you describe. Under my breath, I'm saying....please get up, please get up.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:09 am

Agreed. On returns, I think the blockers are in more danger generally than the returners. Would love to see the data. I'd worry more about the opponents than Barkley if he's running with a full head of steam :)