Indiana Post-Game

nittwittier

Indiana Post-Game

Postby nittwittier » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Well, definitely a new era in PSU football because we just won 45-14 and I'm about to complain :) But, think it's OK because we have the potential to make the Playoffs this season and so trying to think through that lens. Nice to have expectations!

On the one hand a pretty sizable win. Got off to a fast start, forced turnovers and made some nice big plays. Punting continues to be good also. Plus, DaeSean had a stellar game and is really starting to be a force (and congrats on the record!), Juwan continues to flash extraordinary potential and Thomkins got in the mix. And of course, the best player in the country made some oh so spectacular plays. Hopefully that silences the critics of him returning kicks. In college, you get your best player the ball. And I love that they are trying to get him Heisman points; it's motivating for him, the team and will definitely attract future recruits. Plus he deserves to win.

However, major areas of concern we need to correct if we want to beat tOSU and Michigan:
1) O-line got pushed around. Relatedly, we really seem to struggle running the ball on short situations despite have the best back in our illustrious history. Had to settle for another FG attempt deep in the red-zone and had a few other failed-conversions. Shudder to think what happens when we are lined up against Rashan Gary
2) Our offense has sputtered in all three games against the Power 5 opponents. Partially due to '1' above of course. However, think we are lacking that home-run ball we had last season. Started to flash that late in this game and hope to see more against Northwestern. Have to get Gisecki the ball more also
3) FG issues are getting very concerning. Davis hit one long one, will give him a break on the block, and shanked a gimme. He was automatic last year. Need him to figure it out
4) D-line struggles to get pressure without the blitz. Our position of least depth in my opinion. Anticipate this being an issue all season
5) Didn't love that we couldnt stop the QB scrambles today. Could see them coming. Bugged me a bit. Perhaps we were playing to the score and giving them those runs. Didnt feel like it though

Anyway, nice big win. And we got stronger and stronger last season so optimistic the coaches will solve the issues this year also. Plus we are starting from a much stronger base this year.

Northwestern, Northwestern, Northwestern!

nittwittier

Re: Indiana Post-Game

Postby nittwittier » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Also, we'd be remiss not to mention that horrifying Neil Diamond impersonator. Yikes...

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Saquon and Gesicki aside, every position group on this team has regressed year over year. The OL and defensive front seven are especially concerning moving forward.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:22 pm

I think the thing we've got to keep in mind is the bulls eye on our backs. We're BiG champs - add to that a very confident coach and players, and that makes for great motivation for lesser teams. You think Iowa wasn't motivated after getting waxed last year? And despite the score, Indiana, especially their defense, kept playing hard. It's going to be like that the rest of the way, which will test the will of this team. So far, so good, but a long way to go. We'll see how it turns out.

That said, I also agree there are some issues this team needs to address, though it seems TOP isn't one of them. :lol:

5-0...until we're not.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 pm

I actually felt like the offense didn't have any swag because they didn't need to. It was 21-nil in a few minutes. They didn't have to do anything. I loved seeing Saquon throw the ball for a TD. This is just one more thing a defense will have to think about in the future. Onward State! Great win and Marcus Allen is a beast!

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:02 am

Gave up 14 in the second quarter and some of that blame is on the offense, a TO and very few first downs hurt the defense. IU played hard and played some high risk defense.

Hard to say what we really could have done when we started out 28 points up and could play conservative uninspired football.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:49 am

Maybe Saquon should play defense too. I would love to see him also score on a pick 6.

I think a combination of the 28 point jump start and some hangover from last weekend may have led to the ho-hum performance after that.

It is tough to gripe at 5-0 and a 45-14 victory. But the field goal problems and OL issues need to be improved if they want to repeat as conference champions and ultimately make the playoffs.

Still though, 5-0!!!

WE ARE!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:56 am

Hopefully that silences the critics of him returning kicks.

The criticism was never about a doubt he could do it and be great at it. The criticism is about the risk it creates for our best player. I'm a critic of it and, that run notwithstanding, I think it's a mistake. If Barkely gets hurt returning a kick then Franklin will look like an idiot.

Regarding the rest of the game, I only saw the first quarter. I know how it ends so I may not get to the rest but I'll try later today or tomorrow. We got an early lead on a less talented team and I guess went on autopilot. I'm not happy reading we still have issues pushing things forward up front, though We need to get better play out of the line if we are going to hope to win out the schedule. Right now, I think there is a loss coming at some point. I hope not, though.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:52 pm

I don't understand that worry. Why is he any more likely to get hurt doing that than running the ball? Should we reduce his touches also? Or do kick returners get hurt at a higher rate statistically?

Every play carries risk. You're right that increasing his time with the ball inherently creates risk. But I never hear people saying he has too many carries or too many catches. In fact, I hear the opposite. But they are mad about punt returns.

He should return every kick IMO. Long history of great athletes doing that in college. He's the best player in the country. Get him the ball

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:19 pm

PennState03Chris wrote:Saquon and Gesicki aside, every position group on this team has regressed year over year. The OL and defensive front seven are especially concerning moving forward.

Are you high?

QB
McSorely is playing lights years better than Hackenberg - he's playing as well as last year - every game isn't going to be the second half of B1? Championship or the 3rd QT of Rose Bowl. If you go back and look McSorely and offense regularly had quarters or even half of games where they didn't produce. He may not be picking up as much run yardage but it's clear opposing Ds are spying him not that the book has been out a year.

PR, KR
Each unit has produced a TD - I know it's been 10 years since we had a punt return TD and probably been at least that long since we had a KR TD. Opposing teams are doing directional punts and KOs to avoid our returners, often sacrificing 10-15 yards in kick distance to do it. Coverage teams have been lockdown. Punting has been excellent.

Secondary
Not getting beat deep, strong in run support, generating more INTs, chipped in a couple safeties (and meaningful ones at that) - Campbell has become a strong cover corner and Allen can best be described in baseball terms - designated hitter.

Front 7
More forced fumbles and PSU D is among national leaders in TFL and yards allowed once opponents get inside PSU 40. D has given up 6 TDs in 5 games - last year by Game 5 they had given up at least 6 TDs in two individual games.

WRs
In the two B1? games we've had a receiver snag a game winning grab on final play and a 3TD all time PSU receptions record setting performance.

OL
Barkley is amazing but he isn't piling up those yards all by himself and McSorely must be occasionally getting some time to put the numbers he has posted. This may not be the 82 or 94 group but it's not the turnstiles we saw circa 2014 and 2015. The RPO will generate some negative plays because it is a reactive offense - it will yield those splash plays at a higher rate but you will have to live with some negative ones also.

I will grant you the FG kicking is a concern but otherwise I can't fathom how someone concludes a 5-0 team that has outscored opponents 207 - 47 is regressing nearly across the board.
They need to clean up the FG issues and finishing drives but this team is unquestionably the best team PSU has fielded in decades.