Northwestern Pre-Game

pennstate92

Re: Northwestern Pre-Game

Postby pennstate92 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Goliath had all the advantages too. Look at how that turned out.

I'm all in on this team, btw - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. In regards to the rest of the schedule, I think the bye comes at a really good time.

This week, however, is all about NW. And I think we're gonna stomp 'em.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:29 pm

I will say this about Northwestern. They have arguably one of the most beautiful practice settings in the country. During summer camp when the BIG network visits all the campuses in the conference the view they showed of NW's practice right along the shores of Lake Michigan was absolutely awesome. They're so close I feel like a shanked punt could end up in the water.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:26 pm

pennstate92 wrote:Goliath had all the advantages too. Look at how that turned out.

You mis the point on the power David had. Now some believe the sky is blue and white for a reason. I, on the other hand don't think God has a preferred team. Sorry ND :?:

So the better team doesn't always win, football's bounce strangely, and even with review the judges make errors. We'll have to play an early away game Saturday.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 am

The weather forecast is calling for a decent amount of rain throughout the day. I know that, in theory, this is a nonfactor as both teams have to play in the same conditions. While I have been wrong before, I do think that this helps us more than them simply because we have the better team. If they are successful at trying to slow Saquon and limit his rushing yards, we still only have to make quick drop type passes to move the ball so the game plan doesn't change much. Our D has been pretty solid, with a few exceptions, and should force them into needing to make longer plays with a potentially slippery ball that is harder to catch. Not having our stud tight end could be a negative, but I don't think it will change the outcome. At least, I hope not.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:04 am

Unless this is an episode of the Pink Panther, it's going to rain on both teams.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:35 am

Understood, which is why I said both teams have to play in the same conditions. I just think that we have the better team and should be able to mitigate the impact of the weather better as a result.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:40 am

One of the major things I've noticed a shift in over the past two years is the team and player mentality. I don't know if I've ever seen a Penn State team that is so mentally sharp, focused, confident, and believes they are the best. It may be a result of the increased media access (Penn State videos on FB, the Penn State Football Story, social media accounts, etc) but I really like the mental aspect of the game that Franklin has instilled in this team.

If the past two years have shown anything, it is that there really is no quit in this group of kids and that is a credit to the coaching staff. I have a confidence unlike any other time as a Penn State fan that we will come out of the locker room after halftime prepared to execute in a way that will win the game. I've gained a confidence in the coaches that is beyond what I've ever experienced as a fan.

This is an exciting time to be a Penn State fan. I don't know how sustainable or expandable this success is, but it really feels like the way that Franklin has worked at building this program that this is just the start of great things at PSU.

The whole point of that is this: In previous years, I'd be far more worried about an 11 a.m. local time kickoff in Evanston than I am right now. This team has great leadership, not just from coaches, but among the players. There is a talent and a fire here unlike what I've ever seen. I think this team steps out on Saturday and takes care of business.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:48 am

I'd say "coming out of the locker room ready" is more than a feeling Nat

73-0 PSU in first QT

D has not given up any points on first drive or first drive of 2nd half (by my recollection they've pitched 3 second half shutouts and only given up 20pts total)

Barkley's KO last week

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:49 am

Thank you for summing up by thoughts! Franklin has instilled in this team a confidence level and a willingness to sacrifice unlike we have ever seen at PSU. This team simply refuses to lose!

NOTE:
Gesicki dressed at practice, minus pads - running drills with first team. I am assuming he will not play on Sat. Travel but not play.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:51 pm

I think for many of us in the 'more seasoned' section of the fan base, it is difficult to get past some of our more traditional issues. 11AM road games has been an Achilles heel for nearly as long as I can remember. Even though this has not been an issue at all this season.

Then there is the lack of respect given by some of the sportswriters, even though we are 5-0 we still have to beat someone good or have a signature win to earn their respect (lots of good that win over tOSU did last year) that filters down and we have a small storm of self fulfilling doubt that just won't allow some to become too optimistic. Many of us remember that team in 94 that was lights out good (this year may be even better) but the old man took the foot off the gas against one of those I state schools and we dropped in the polls because it didn't look like a solid win and never really recovered even though we went undefeated. I might be oversimplifying, but many fans are just not ready to get too excited yet. They want to believe and love how the team is doing, but the B1G has shat upon us before and they probably will again.

That said, the team can only play and win the games. The other BS is, and has been out of their hands, but I agree that Franklin and the rest of the staff have them focused effectively...

Sorry, I don't know where that tangent came from.