Northwestern Pre-Game

sameoldlama

Re: Northwestern Pre-Game

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:25 am

Obviously every team from here on out will go with the "stop Barkley" game plan and "keep McSorely from taking off". We saw Hamilton step up with a big game last week. Moorhead and team just need to do what the RPO is designed to do - take what the defense gives you. If the D is going to commit "spies" to Barkley and McSorely they will be left with too many one on ones in the pass game. Get into zones and Barkley and McSorely will start finding space. Just be who you are and if the RPO is to be unpredictable be that - down and distance don't matter as much as taking what the D gives and finding the mismatches.

The D has been playing a lot of bodies and creating depth and doing a much better job at forcing TOs - Cabinda, Bowen and Smith have been stepping up - time to see Koa Farmer be more active and see Apke and Scott be in better position to make plays.

Obviously want to see the FG unit take a step forward and as people have said - if teams are going to run around and rugby punt to neutralize Tompkins make them pay with a heavy punt rush.

IMO if you are on that team and you are not one of the "stars" you should be thinking - the other team is so focused on Barkley, Johnson, Cabinda, Allen that it gives you the opportunity to run wild and make plays. Just keep building momentum and tighten up the execution a little more each week.

And punish a B1? opponent on the road.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 am

As I have mentioned before, McSorely may be able to take full advantage of the passing options - if the line can give him some time.

WeAre - after watching the 60-minute version replay (btw, kudos to BTN for that type of presentation - I love it) I'm a bit more encouraged by the O-line performance. After Fries stayed in at RT, Trace suddenly had a lot more time to find receivers. Fries played every series in the 2nd half after the first one, and that's when McS began to look like his normal self back there. No knocks against Nelson and Chasz, but I suspect they just aren't healthy enough to perform play-after-play-after-play...doesn't take many OL breaches to really screw up a passing offense, and in the first half we were definitely being breached.

I foresee a choppy game, but with more than enough chunk plays to give us a good shot at beating the spread. I also think JF's focused prep will compensate for the early game-time blues that have plagued us for decades.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:58 am

Blue&White wrote:
I think the opposite. I think we will have continued frustrations over the weaknesses we see.

The reality is that no team - not even mighty Alabama - has it all together at every single position. The trick is to put a squad together where the pluses out weight the weaknesses. We've got that squad. Is it good enough to run the table? I think it is, but that doesn't mean they will. Someone may expose enough of our weaknesses to beat us.

Let first start by saying your overwhelming optimism is about more than I can handle. You are definitely my polar opposite.
That said, this team doesn't have the words MIGHT or MAYBE in their vocabulary - Franklin simply doesn't allow it - oh, by the way - that's by design. As it has to be stated - once again - this team treats every game like it's their last. Mentioning games down the road is ok for the fan base but the team is in a much different place.

We will see corrections made - and you are saying, how the H does he know this? Because that's what good programs do. They identify a weakness and correct it. I am pretty sure we saw a relatively large correction on the o-line in the second half last week. I think a lot of people are selling this team short, not on guts (we all know they have that) but on talent. Week after week someone new steps up - well, when it all comes together at once...

To this team NW is the same as Michigan and theOSU - I know fans don't get it and I don't care - it's simply a fact! If the talent level that you play rises - then you adjust and rise above it. You simply refuse to lose...and if you don't believe that possible, then I would encourage you to speak to McSorley.

It's NW NW NW...
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:12 am

I hope you tell me to put my foot (or both feet) in my mouth for this Saturday evening. Anyway, I have Penn State on upset alert this weekend. Noon game, on the road, bye week coming up with Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State on consecutive weeks after that, playing a Jeckyll & Hyde team...but the real kicker is WeAre is doubting... :shock:

Pains me to write this...

Northwestern 24, Penn State 21. :( :( :(

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:14 am

We tend to struggle on the road so this is the perfect game for us. We should crush Northwestern but who knows how we will play on the road. I think the passing game gets a boost but we still see our Oline struggle at times in the running game. Saquon will get his 200+ yards.

Good guys- 42
Bad guys- 10

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:29 am

Crowbar wrote:...but the real kicker is WeAre is doubting... :shock:

Please let me correct the notion that I have any doubts about this game. I have stated that we will see corrections made to some of the weaker spots. I also stated that I hate noon games - that is offset by the fact that Franklin has this team playing and thinking on another level - noon games just aren't a factor in the minds of this team.
I also believe that we will see ALOT of players score.

There is NO DOUBT about the outcome of this week.

The team does not look past who they are playing...it is not their character! NO TRAP GAME - NO LOOKING AHEAD - you simply play the team before you each and every Saturday!

SO AGAIN - I said this game could define PSU season (I suppose I left that statement to the imagination...) well, let me make it clear...
By defining, I meant we see the team that leaves no doubt about where they are headed...after Saturday, Michigan players will not sleep easy for 2 weeks...many of them will likely not face a team like what is coming!

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:38 am

This thread has been a fun read.

Go State!
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Kind of a minor anecdote here, but it sure is good to have Oruwariye back in the secondary. He was out the last two games, comes in and gets his 2nd really big-time pick. AO might be the most underrated guy on this defense, maybe the whole team. He's got an NFL look to him.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Here's some GREAT news:

After offering only "looks good" in regards to Mike Gesicki's status for Penn State's next kickoff at Northwestern, James Franklin pivoted in his weekly press conference Tuesday.

"We expect Mike to play on Saturday," he added

Answer on Tommy:

Tommy Stevens isn't injured. He traveled to Iowa and was present throughout Penn State's win over the Hoosiers last Saturday.

He played in neither contest, though, and many have wondered why after the success the offense had with him on the field in the first three games.

The answer, as it turns out, is pretty simple.

"First of all, Tommy's doing great," Franklin said. "It's no different than when [the media] asks about a certain guy getting the ball; it's all about the game plan.

"If Joe [Moorhead] feels like the package we have fits the team we're playing, we use it. It's the same deal with personnel and having two quarterbacks on the field; if Joe thinks it's going to help our team win, we put it in the game plan."

And if he and they do not? Then, they won't.

So that's why Stevens hasn't seen the field the last two weeks; there's nothing more, or less, to it than that.

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Penn State is a team that is not without its weaknesses. Imo, Bama, Clemson and Oklahoma are the three most complete teams in college football. Penn State falls into that second tier of teams that possess the talent, but haven't put it all together.

I think we know what to expect of Penn State this weekend - some very good, some average, and some bad. The key will be which NW team shows up. If it's the squad that played Wisky tough, we may be fighting for another win come the 4th quarter. If it's the squad that got pasted by Duke, this could be an easy win.

My gut says that the noon kick, on the road, in front of a 60% full Ryan Field, will lead to a sluggish start. We manage to make it a 2 or 3 possession game by mid-3rd quarter, and hang onto that to the end of the game. Little is actually learned, beyond yet another data point that our OL has regressed, the defense is susceptible over the middle, and Tyler Davis is a shadow of his former self. We enter the bye week fretting over the run of UM (this game scares me quite a bit), OSU and MSU (to a far lesser degree).

Penn State 31 - NW 23