Northwestern Pre-Game

We Are...2

Re: Northwestern Pre-Game

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:47 pm

With all due Respect - I could not disagree more...
Honesty...this team is better prepared mentally than to suggest they will be thinking about anything but NW.
I will stand firmly on this weeks game being a defining game.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:55 pm

I don't know if I would call this a defining game, per se. No doubt it is an important one as the meat of the schedule is right after this game (and the subsequent bye week). I would say Iowa was more of a defining game due to that being a night game on the road against a better opponent. NW also has a tendency to play PSU tough.

This game has scary vibes, unfortunately.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:02 pm

I believe this was mentioned earlier but my biggest concern is that this is a noon game. 11 am, really as it is on the road. We have historically started flat in early games. I heard that there is a large number of NFL GM’s and/or scouts coming to observe Saquon. I doubt that will make him nervous as he seems pretty grounded but i hope it helps fuel his fire.

I think we are the superior team, and that has nothing to do with my blue and white glasses anymore, but there is a reason that they play the games. I am in no way worried. A fast start will help maintain that attitude. My lover and pocketbook don’t need too many more like Iowa!

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 am

I think coming in to the season, most people pointed to the next 4 games as those that will define our season. Can we go 4-0, we can, but we will have to play better to do so. I'm just hoping we don't come out of this stretch at 2-2 or worse. If PSU plays better on Saturday, I will feel a whole lot better about the rest of the season. It just seems like noon games at Northwestern don't go so well for us.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 am

Maybe I'm being silly but I'm really not all that worried about this game. I think our talent level advantage is more than enough to overcome NW, even on their field and with an 11 AM kick off. The game may be more of a mess and even closer than we all would like but I will be genuinely shocked if Penn State does not walk away with a victory. And, I think when the game ends it will be a convincing win. 20 points or more.

What concerns me more is, despite We Are's unbridled optimism, we are not improving in certain areas from week to week. the offense line is not getting the push it needs and running between the tackles is a big problem. Part of that is, I think, by design, but it's going to bite us in the ass when we need just a few yards. On defense, our D is good but they are prone to give up some big plays.

We need to tighten things up or we are going to have a big problem coming out of the bye week. We have a really tough run with Michigan, OSU and Michigan State. And, I think Michigan State is a major trap game. I like our chances at home vs. Michigan. It's not a lock by any means, but I like our team in that game. OSU in Columbus, however, scares me. And, if we do manage to win that game, I think MSU is a tough game on the road after what is likely to be an emotional week in Columbus.

Let's get through NW first, but the real challenges follow.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:00 am

I'm not worried - mostly because I'm not playing or coaching and will have no impact on the game's outcome so there's no point in worrying.

I'm not as concerned about OL as others - as I have said the RPO is going to generate some negative run plays by design and teams are stacking the box to stop Barkley.

I would just like to see the FG kicking unit get it together because I believe that will play a role in the outcome of one or two games in the back half of season and for the passing game to be more consistent - watching on TV it's hard to tell if issues is McS happy feet / inaccuracy or WRs not getting open. Also want to see them get sharper in the red zone finishing drives. I think Moorhead can see teams know some of his tendencies and he needs to adjust - and I think he will.

But game to game we have seen all phases of the team make contributions to wins with "splash" plays - long offensive plays, safeties and TOs leading to points, we have 3 special teams TDs in five games after having 0 for 10 years. This is as complete a PSU team as we have seen since 2005 at least. PSU has outscored opponents 73-0 in 1st QT - this team doesn't dig holes like last year.

I'll say it again - drink up and enjoy the prosperity boys these are the good times.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:03 am

My reasoning for stating that this week will be a defining game has less to do with optimism and more with reality. I fell that it simply has to be a defining game. This will set the tone for what comes next, as many of you have stated. We go into NW and win convincingly and fix some of the problems that have plagued us - we all walk away feeling much more confident going into the Michigan game.

I know everyone likes to look down the road, I just don't think the team has that mentality. Franklin has sold that every game - no matter the opponent - is exactly the same. That is routed in fact - if you lose to X it has the exact same result as losing to Y. Hence, the team will play at the same level each week. I know it sounds great in theory, but when the team buys into it (and that happened last year - with the come from behind mentality) it works. One huge advantage they have over a lot of their opponents is that we play as a team - a collective unit. We have a true leader and players who are willing to whatever they can to follow his lead and win - that makes this team very dangerous.

In order for this team to achieve its goals - this game simply becomes a Defining Game.

Not that I care how Michigan prepares for us - but we put together a complete game this week - they will have a whole lot MORE to think about in preparation.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 am

Side note to what the NW fan base is thinking:

Monday:
I think if we follow the lead of Iowa and IU - we have a chance. Limit Barkley and stop them in the Red Zone.

Confidence Level: 4.5 out of 5

Tuesday:
I think this game may cause some coaching changes (somewhat based of Fitzgerld's comments about Barkley and the realization that they have serious Defensive issues). If they keep this a low scoring game - they have a chance - the comparisons to them playing Wisconsin start...

Confidence Level: 3 out of 5

Wednesday:
Complete justification that because they played Wisconsin tough - they will have a change (to the point that if you read their threads, you would think they are preparing to play Wisconsin again this week). The attacks on Paterno start - the off the filed issues (Sandusky) start to appear and the attacks on PSU posters begin in earnest. They have concluded (and this is a direct quote) " we can give up 500+ yrds, as long as we don't let them score" - They feel that they can make PSU have sustained drives without scoring (not scoring a few - but rather not scoring).

Confidence Level: 1.5 out of 5

My conclusion to this point - the fan base is very worried about this game and rightfully so. Let me preface this statement with "I could care less what the pre-game stats say" however, they have PSU winning 86% of the scenarios, which equals a 39-16 win. So for you math fans - take it for what its worth.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:07 am

They have concluded (and this is a direct quote) " we can give up 500+ yrds, as long as we don't let them score" - They feel that they can make PSU have sustained drives without scoring (not scoring a few - but rather not scoring).

Iowa sort of did that. We moved the ball up and down the field on Iowa and we struggled to get it in the end zone all day. That was a classic "bend but don't break" defense by them. If I were NW, I'd be thinking the same thing - keep the game in front of you, don't give up the big play, and you've got a chance to stop them.

Problem is NW isn't Iowa. They don't have Ferentz. The last few years with Joe at the helm I felt no one got less with more than Joe Paterno and the PSU coaching staff. For as long as Ferentz has been there, I've felt the complete opposite about him - no one gets more from less than Kirk Ferentz. That guy is a great football coach. I think he's one of the most underrated coaches in college football. If that guy was ever willing to leave and went to a school with the recruiting ability of an Alabama or one of the big SEC schools, he would be unstoppable.

NW doesn't have that guy, though. They don't. So, they can talk the game, but I don't see it.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:15 am

Tail of the Tape:

ADVANTAGES

QUARTERBACKS: Penn State

RUNNING BACKS: Penn State

RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS: Even (Given the fact that we don't know if Gieseke will play)

OFFENSIVE LINE: Northwestern (A must improve stat for PSU moving forward - Sat. may tell who will play Right Tackle from here out)

DEFENSIVE LINE: Penn State

LINEBACKERS: Penn State

SECONDARY: Penn State

SPECIAL TEAMS: Penn State

COACHING: Even (A lot of Respect for what Fitzgerald brings to his teams)