PSU at NW - In game

pennstate92

PSU at NW - In game

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Just because...

Sleepy first half. NW offense stinks - their line reminiscent of our line three years ago. Trace doing Trace things. Still can't figure out how you don't get the best player in CFB the ball in space. Tired of the 'creative' Joe Morehead meme - they're not doing Saquon any favors.

Anyway - this will be a win going away, but another sloppy start to the game - our line still can't sustain blocks. And why isn't Fries in there?
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

PittGradPSUMad

Re: PSU at NW - In game

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm surprised JF and Co. haven't solved OL woes by now. Won't win against UM and tOSU without some semblance of a running game. 'Cats are stacking the middle and we keep trying to run up the middle....what am I missing?
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Our O-Line is a serious issue, particularly at right tackle.

Getting blown back in run blocking and giving up sucks in pass protection will be a massive issue once we see defenses like Michigan and OSU.

Defense is playing well, and we are a solid all-around team. I'm not convinced we are elite and I lay most of that at the feet of the O-Line.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:37 pm

I think we are seeing the game plan that defenses will use down the road. The O line is facing a stacked box almost every play. We can tire down NU but will have to have more options working against the big boys.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Giving up the sucks is my big issue.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:50 pm

That was a frustrating first half. Tough to complain about a game where Penn State wins by 24 points, but allow me to try:

- not having a field goal kicker is going to result in us losing a winnable game this year
- our back-up QB should not be a WR. We have enough talent that we don't need to rely on gimmicks. That said, it was nice to see Stevens make that catch. I think we're in good hands when he takes over
- that stupid fake we kept running where McSorley didn't hand off to Barkley was well overdone. I got tired of seeing it. And, it didn't seem to really work. Al it really seemed to do is keep Barkley from doing what he does best.
- Our O line needs work. Lot's of work.

On the plus side, the D still looks solid and there is enough talent that when Barkley isn't getting it done then someone else does. But, that's against Northwestern. I don't know that works against Michigan or OSU. I guess we will find out, though.

Finall, tough to believe a "bad" game for Barkley is 75 rushing yards, 84 all purpose yards, and 2 TDs. Man, are we spoiled these days. Kind of nice.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:15 pm

I said in another thread that the bye week's coming at a good time. CJF indicated they have more tricks up their sleeve - not sure tricks are what we need. Think we need to focus on throwing over the top of the run blitzers.

All that said, we won handily against an inferior team & we're where we should be after 6 games.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:19 pm

1) Missed FG
2) Sacks even when we keep Barkley in to block
3) McSorely not able to improvise like last year due to stacked box and defensive strategy.

Don't seem like a 3 or 4 team but I also don't know who belongs above them. It will sort out.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:15 pm

I had to take care of business today so I was not able to watch the game live, I love the DVR!
We win 100 to 7 but this is the type of game that is frustrating. I would like to see us throw the ball a lot more when the defense is stacking the box with 20 guys. We need to be perfect the next 2 games and this was not close to perfect. I realize we want to get Saquon the ball but at what cost? It is like we are forcing the ball to him. Somehow we need to get him out into space. BTW, his TD run continues to show how ridonkulous he is playing this year.

And... no one saw the defense coming out and playing the way they have this year!!! They have been short of perfect for the most part (slightly sarcastic).

Good game this week and now we get to chill for 2 weeks.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:47 pm

I don't want to be too negative about a 24 point road win and a 6-0 start. It could be worse. We could be Oklahoma fans...

Anyway, I think you all hit the nail on the head. If Tyler Davis doesn't get it together, and soon, he will cost them a game. The o-line is obviously a huge issue too. I don't know if they're outmanned due to defenses overloading to stop Barkley or if they are just struggling. If they don't get it right over the bye week, the next three weeks are going to be really tough.

I also agree Tommy Stevens should convert to WR.