BYE Week Blues...and News!

We Are...2

BYE Week Blues...and News!

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:31 am

Just some observations following last Sat:
1. Michigan has QB issues - if we can put pressure on O'Korn - he will make mistakes. Contain his running and he is very shaky running that offense.
2. Michigan's D is fast but prone to big plays over the top. If they sell out on Barkley (which I think everyone will do) - we can hurt them deep.
3. tOSU looks like the second best team in the B10 East - by far! and Wisky looks like it's theirs to lose in the West.
4. We MUST fix the FG issue or it will cost against tOSU - period.
5. I think we will see some new wrinkles against MeatChicken - Franklin has been hinting that we haven't seen what this O can fully do. (the score will dictate whether we see it against MeatChichen or tOSU)
6. If we play like I think we will play against MeatChicken in 2 weeks - it could get ugly. This team has not forgotten what happened last year and they could make this years game a statement game.
7. I don't think MeatChicken will play Barley quite the same as the other teams, they are quick and I think they will be worried about protecting the big plays. I think Barley will have success in the later stages of the 3rd quarter.
8. Geisicki will play a vital role in 2 weeks and Johnson may have some really big plays down field.
9. O-line will need to play a very good game - the RPO has helped - however, Barkley is inches from busting it up inside - we just need to hold the blocks.
10. I think in 2 weeks we see this team - really put together it's first Complete game.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Blue&White

Re: BYE Week Blues...and News!

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am

What's the difference between a statement game and a defining game? I need to know that before I can decide if I agree with you.

And, you said NW was a defining game. What did we end up defining?

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:04 pm

The NW game ended up defining our D (it was affirmation that the unit is playing at a high level, each and every week) and that we can score effectively without relying on Barkley solely. And by that statement, I am referring to those outside the PSU fan base that thought Barkley was the only reason we were 5-0. I think we can all agree that we feel much better about MeatChicken after the NW game. I had heard so much about a trap game - I said that this team doesn't buy into that mentality - by definition they treat each game as an independent game.
Many teams say it - PSU believes and plays that way. It is what defines why they can win each and every week. NW game showed that the time, weather and a NW game plan that was laid out for them - simply didn't matter.

A statement game - which I think we will see in 2 weeks - is the game where we are firing on all cylinders and really put together a game in all aspects. O feeding of the D and we put ALOT of points on the board. When all is said and done - people walk away saying, this team is playing it's best football to date - they are a dangerous team. This game will change our National Perception. It would be better if MeatChicken wouldn't have lost, however it's still Michigan.
We make a National Statement in 2 weeks, not because it matters to the team - but because the media is begging for it and they can walk away feeling good about saying PSU belongs in the top 3.

BREAKING NOW:

As expected, Penn State’s Oct. 21 matchup with Michigan is officially a night game. The Nittany Lions’ annual White Out contest will air at 7:30 p.m. on ABC, the conference announced on Monday.

NOTE:
I haven't used Signature Win...I think that sells the team short - each win is unique to itself. But you need them all to have a Signature Season...

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:06 pm

I have hopes for our team to put it all together for this game. The Bye week and the fact we have been withholding plays on offense and likely on defense too. I think our kicker needs to sit and recuperate unless the replacement is worse and that is difficult to imagine right now. A few bad snaps but too many low kicks blocked. He seems to be having confidence issues right now and that is horrific for a kicker. I'm not quick to ask for a replacement but I believe this, halfway through his senior season makes it necessary. I can't imagine what happened to him to cause this great a disparity.

We owe Michigan, big time. I think the team remembers last year. Pay backs are a b!t(h.

Enjoy.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:16 pm

First of all, I have to laugh every time I see "WE need to do this, WE need to do that . . ." It cracks me up. WE are not doing anything but watching a game and talking about it. Sorry, just a pet peeve. Second, this team is very solid but definitely has issues on the offensive line. I don't see a magical change occurring over the next two weeks. It is what it is. Hopefully JoeMo can figure out some ways to mask the weakness. The defensive line has been OK but the LBs are going to have to play even better against Michigan and OSU. If there was a better kicker he'd be in there. Davis will get it together (I hope). I'm sure there are a few specific plays that haven't been run yet but this talk about 'opening up the playbook" strikes me as funny. This offense is what it is. It's going to continue to be built upon explosive plays and run/pass options. That's going to lead to plays getting blown up in the backfield, even when it's 3rd and 2 inches and the ball is snapped 7 yards back. Accept it because it's not changing. The good news is that the team is fast across the board and strong as well. It was obvious late in the Iowa game that the PSU players weren't nearly as gassed as the Hawkeyes. That's a credit to the conditioning program. I really think the Michigan game will be telling. They have a tremendous defense. That might very well be a 17-14 type of game because their offense is terrible and I don't think PSU can have a lot of success if Michigan's defense is constantly putting PSU in long yardage situations. 3rd down conversion really hasn't improved a lot since last year so if Barkley is getting stuff on first down it could be a very long game hoping for a big play and not making mistakes to keep Michigan in it. I am glad to see Franklin realizing what a weapon Gillikin is and not going for it on 4th down in his own territory like he did last year. Field position has been a major part of the success thus far and very overlooked by most.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:09 am

I agree with most of Shore's points, however, I think we are missing the fact that this team has not put together a complete game. I think we see that against Michigan. I honestly think that our offense will put up some big numbers against Michigan and the D will setup the O with some really good field position throughout the game.
It will be interesting to see Michigan play this weekend. Indiana will take the brunt of last weeks game - good thing is, Michigan will have to play a decent game at Indiana (knowing Indiana sees a great opportunity for an upset).
The bye week comes at a great time for us. We should see a seasoned and mostly healthy PSU team in 2 weeks. The stadium will be rockin' and this team will want to make a statement!
I am not sure Michigan can stop Barkley - I know they will play to shut him down, I just have a feeling that he has one of his best games this year.

Here are some interesting facts to chew on:

1. Punter Blake Gillikin is averaging 44.2 yards per attempt and he's placed 16 of his 26 punts inside the opponents' 20.
2. The Lions' turnover margin is +12, tied for second-best in the nation. PSU has forced 17 turnovers and turned the ball over five times. The Lions have nine interceptions in six games, with all nine recorded by defensive backs. Penn State intercepted 10 passes in 14 games last season.
3. Nine points allowed per game. NINE. It's a tribute to the Penn State defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs and the Lions' defensive coaches that the Lions boast the No. 1 ranking in scoring defense.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:01 am

First of all, I have to laugh every time I see "WE need to do this, WE need to do that . . ." It cracks me up. WE are not doing anything but watching a game and talking about it.

That's not true. Sometimes I also curse and throw stuff. And, a few people on this board have lucky shirts that they put on. You're not going to seriously question the impact of threadbare, barely washed clothing has on the outcome of a football game are you? If you start pulling on that thread the whole basis of being a fan starts to unravel.

I agree with the rest of your assessment. We are a very good team but I'm not sure we are a great team. I don't see us making any serious improvements at this point. 6 games into the season we are what we are. And, the idea that we are holding back the playbook is something else I don't buy. Perhaps we have some gimmick play or a flea flicker we haven't shown yet but I think at this point we've seen the type of offense we run. Good teams don't win by trying to rely on gimmick's or plays that are high risk/high reward types of plays. They win by executing on their game plan.

We'll see. I like us against Michigan, especially with their starting QB out for the season. Let's win that game and then see how things go in Columbus. That's where I think the biggest challenge is.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am

This just in:

Ohio State will wear alternate gray uniforms against the Lions in Columbus

That's it...I am not sure how PSU is going to deal with this...WTF with the alternate uniforms, I am so sick of this being a "rallying point".

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 am

Kind of ticks me off that bigten.org lists tOSU above us in the East standings. One of these team is undefeated and one is not.

:x

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:51 am

I remember some butt ugly gray unis in Columbus in the recent past. Maybe its a repeat. Let'em wear them. It won't impact the game. We need to take care of business in two weeks before turning to Columbus.

The BT Network is sycophantic toward the buckeyes and have always been so. Part of it is the cash generation of a flagship program but there are other flagship programs too. UM is one and the receive more than their share of air time and promo. PSU is another and we are receiving props from the analysts on the network more than the talking heads, as usual. Thank goodness Herbstreit isn't on the BT network. OSU will always receive the Lion's share of love from the network and be given more than their share of love in every instance from air time to officials game day gifts. Sad but true. We have to do twice as much as OSU to gain half as much love.