The NCAA is a complete joke

Shane

Re: The NCAA is a complete joke

Postby Shane » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:35 pm

psu_dad, that IS who was using this class. The so called Olympic sports (swimming, soccer, wrestling, etc) are the ones that I'm shocked didn't get any sanctions against them. The % of their athletes in this class is crazy high. I don't remember the exact percentages, but it's over 65% for each of these sports.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:46 pm

The so called Olympic sports (swimming, soccer, wrestling, etc) are the ones that I'm shocked didn't get any sanctions against them.

That was never going to happen. This was a major institutional failure. The only way you can punish the institution is by hitting them where it hurts: basketball and, to a lessor extent with UNC, football. I have not really looked but I imagine there is a fair amount of howling over the NCAA's decision to do nothing today. Imagine how amplified that howling would be if instead of nothing they smacked around the swimming and diving team and left the money makers alone? As bad as this looks, and as indefensible as this decision is, sanctioning sports that don't bring in money and barely have any scholarships would be met with laughter, derision and possibly investigations from governmental entities. There is no way they were ever going to take a shot at a lessor sport.

The whole thing is a freaking joke. I bet after the Louisville investigation the NCAA not only finds no issue or anything to sanction but goes that next obvious step and awards them a trophy.

Shane

Postby Shane » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:28 pm

So the basketball team should be punished because other programs abused the system? Now it was a system put in place by the university, but I don't understand why people think the basketball program is getting off without sanctions, when they had a very very very small amount of participants in this class (again 7 over the course of two decades). I am agreeing that the university should have been fined (at the very least), but never thought the basketball team was in any trouble.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35 pm

psu_dad, that IS who was using this class. The so called Olympic sports (swimming, soccer, wrestling, etc) are the ones that I'm shocked didn't get any sanctions against them. The % of their athletes in this class is crazy high. I don't remember the exact percentages, but it's over 65% for each of these sports.

This is from the executive summary of the Wainstein report that UNC commisioned. (Emphasis is mine). The numbers don't seem to agree with yours.

Note: "Paper class" was a nickname for AFAM classes in which attendance wasn't required and the grade was determined by submitting a paper, which was "graded" by Debby Crowder, the secretary of the AFAM department. Yes. The secretary.

------------

Student-athletes accounted for a disproportionately high percentage of enrollments in the AFAM paper classes. Of the identifiable enrollments in the lecture paper classes, 47.4% were student-athletes, even though student athletes make up just over 4% of the Chapel Hill undergraduate student body. Of those student-athlete enrollments, 50.9% were football players, 12.2% were men’s basketball players, 6.1% were women’s basketball players, and 30.6% were Olympic and other sport athletes.

A good number of these student-athletes were “steered” to the AFAM paper classes by certain academic counselors in ASPSA. This steering was most prevalent among the counselors for the revenue sports of football and men’s basketball. While some of these counselors knew only that these were easy classes, others were fully aware that there was no faculty involvement and that Crowder was managing the whole course and grading the papers. Those counselors saw these paper classes as “GPA boosters” and steered players into them largely in order to help them maintain their GPAs and their eligibility under the NCAA and Chapel Hill eligibility rules. At least two of those counselors went so far as to suggest what grades Crowder should award to their players who were taking her paper classes.

------------

In the report details,the Wainstein report didn't break down "Olympic Sports" into individual sports. Perhaps that was in a supplementary docmuent.

Shane

Postby Shane » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Those are dramatically different numbers than I’ve seen in other reports. I would love to know the difference.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:56 pm

I haven’t read the report yet as I had other things going on, but is it possible that we are looking at different takes? I mean one or two hoopsters is a much higher percentage than ten or twenty footballers. Also, if the class has a set enrollment, say 20 for example, 5 swimmers is 25%, 2 hoopsters is 10% and so on. Just a thought...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:58 pm

It doesn't make sense the focus would be on non revenue sports. Who cares if the captain of the swim team loses his eligibility? Not donors. Not boosters.

As for your comment about who is being punished, it's the university. This is exactly the type of behavior that is supposed to warrant punitive actions. It sucks for the players but it always sucks for the players. But, if it doesn't hurt when you're caught, then why not cheat?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Those are dramatically different numbers than I’ve seen in other reports. I would love to know the difference.

I suppose it's academic <ba-dump-bump>,

The architects of this cluster f--- (AFAM Department Chairman Julius Nyang'oro and his secretary Deborah Crowder) are retired on pensions ... a couple of profs and academic advisors were tossed under the bus ... and the NCAA says it's all good.

So that's that.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Shane wrote: One of the attorneys for UNC in this case actually pointed out that at many universities across the country, players get actual credits toward graduation for playing their sport and that PSU is listed as one of those universities.

Say it ain't so Joe. Is that only for the sports and recreation major? You could at least make a sketchy justification for that.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 pm

I got credits for racketball. Two semesters. I know people who got credit for bowling. Most schools have a PE requirement. Why wouldn't athletes get credit for playing their sports?

Getting credit for playing college sports isn't nearly the same thing as what UNC did.