The NCAA is a complete joke

Blue&White

The NCAA is a complete joke

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:49 am

North Carolina Receives No Punishment From N.C.A.A. for Academic Scandal

This scandal is actually why the NCAA exists. This is specifically within their remit. And .... nothing. Crickets. How predictably pathetic.

PennState03Chris

Re: The NCAA is a complete joke

Postby PennState03Chris » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:12 am

The thread title really says it all. They are a joke, a sham. Their excuse is that they can't prove these classes were created SOLELY for the benefit of student-athletes, despite student-athletes being steered into these classes at alarmingly high rates... for over two decades.

Tell me again, how did the NCAA justify penalizing Penn State football?

At this point, and I'm assuming in large part due to the defeat they eventually faced re. the Penn State sanctions, they are afraid to levy ANY punishment above the trivial. I do not believe that student-athletes should be paid, and I would quite possibly walk away from college athletics if the Power 5 consolidated power among their ranks, but how can the NCAA continue to exist in its current structure and with its current leadership? Beyond administering championships and tournaments, and setting timelines and processes for recruiting and LOIs, what good are they? The NCAA is clearly not an investigative body, as they lack both the power to investigate as well as the power to levy punishment.

Time to tear the thing down and re-build it from scratch.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 am

Their excuse is that they can't prove these classes were created SOLELY for the benefit of student-athletes

This is a blue print on how to cheat.

Shane

Postby Shane » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:13 pm

As a UNC basketball fan, I can tell you there is a LOT of bad information out there. I know most will tie this scandal to mens basketball, but over the course of two decades, a total of 7 mens basketball players took this class. But for some reason, the media painted this as something where they wanted banners taken down. I will say that I'm shocked a lot of other sports didn't get hit with some penalties. Steering athletes to this class was part of what some of these sports did. Like I said, if you just followed the media narrative, there is definitely a lot of bad info out there, sounds familiar doesn't it? One of the attorneys for UNC in this case actually pointed out that at many universities across the country, players get actual credits toward graduation for playing their sport and that PSU is listed as one of those universities. Now I not trying to say what happened there was without some bad intentions, but believe me, if do some research and you will see a different picture than the media has portrayed.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm

I didn't rely on the media. I read the report of the investigation that UNC commissioned and it documented a Horror Show. Numerous citations of "pretend" classes for which student-athletes received credit and actual classes for which artificially high grades were fabricated. The report concluded that helping student-athletes remain eligible was the inescapable motivation for this. And it also concluded that any sort of reasonable oversight by university administrators should have uncovered this WAY before it was actually uncovered.

Ironically, the two people at the center of this mess (the head of the AFAM department and his administrative assistant) received immunity for their cooperation with the investigation and are now retired on a pension. Is this a great country, or what?

Shane

Postby Shane » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:55 pm

I do admit that it was a horror show. What I’m trying to point out was that people portraying this as a men’s basketball issue, weren’t correct in their “facts”.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 pm

I don't recall the report suggesting it was primarily a BB issue. Nor does that even make sense. BB players are a small fraction of the scholarship athletes at a major university.

Shane

Postby Shane » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:43 pm

My point was that no one would care if it didn't involve the basketball team at UNC. The fact that the swimming and diving team ran almost every athlete thru this class wouldn't be news.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:57 pm

It may not have been as newsworthy, but so what? I'm not sure why that matters. And, I think the real point here is that the NCAA just gave the roadmap as to how to circumvent their rules. Just open up your fraud to regular students and the NCAA takes a "hands off" attitude".

The whole "logic" to their discussion is ludicrous.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:09 pm

The fact that the swimming and diving team ran almost every athlete thru this class wouldn't be news.

That's probably a bad example. Swimmers and divers are almost exclusively from privileged upper middle class families. That would have been a MONSTER story. The media would have gone bonkers.

UNC probably suffered from the same problem that hurt PSU. Like PSU, they had been a little bit pious about the integrity of their athletic programs for years, so when this story broke, sympathy was in short supply. And that report. Damn, I nearly soiled my pants reading it.

And B&W is correct. The UNC scandal is the VERY REASON the NCAA exists, i.e., to enforce rules for fair competition that aren't covered by law. Their involvement in the Sandusky incident was unnecessary grandstanding. That was a criminal and civil matter that was already being adequately handled by the criminal and civil justice systems. But then they (the NCAA) get a incident that's right in their domain and they do squat?