Michigan Pre-game...

We Are...2

Michigan Pre-game...

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:04 am

Line as of 10/16 is (-12). I would have to say, while I ignore lines as far as watching the game, after seeing Michigan play 2 weeks in a row, I agree with this line. I understand how good there D is, however on that note - their secondary leaves something to be desired. PSU should be able to exploit the deep ball.
As far as their offense, not a whole to lot to be encouraged by. PSU should simply be able to outscore them. We are the best defense they will have faced to this point and if Indiana could pressure them, we should have some real success.
The atmosphere is going to be NUTZ! College game day...Whiteout...and a sense of last year dangling in the wind! It's going to be a fun game to watch!

Here is a sense of where the MeatChicken fan base is, as of Monday morning:

58 yards passing by O'Korn. Harbaugh not throwing in the second half basically tells you all you need to know about his confidence in O'Korn.

Exactly! I’m not saying Petters is better....I’m just saying he can’t be worse. Can’t be

Poll in Detroit Free Press:

Should John O'Korn start at Penn State next Saturday night? #Wolverines@nickbaumgardner wonders. What do you say?
27% Yes, I trust Harbaugh
39% No, it can't get worse
34% IDK my eyes are bleeding
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

LioninVa

Re: Michigan Pre-game...

Postby LioninVa » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 am

If I was looking at this game and everything surrounding it, and the statistics are identical except for the team, I would be planning for a blowout. But, and this is a very big butt, this is Michigan so there is that little bit of uncertainty. I won't say that the refs historically favor the Wolverines against us, I won't say that they have had our number in big games in the past or anything that may or may not be true because it is all in the past. But that little bit of uncertainty is still there - but that is why they play the game! It's a white out at night with Game Day on campus somewhere and CJF is calling for a million person crowd in all white (White out at the stadium isn't enough; white out the entire valley or state!)

I didn't watch much football yesterday, took Mrs. and young LioninVA to see the new Kingsmen movie (go see it!) but I caught some of the late afternoon games on RedZone (get that, too!) There was a commercial for our game this weekend and I sweat the announces said the Michigan has the best defense in college football. I don't know if this is true, statistically or not but they sure don't look as good as us. I'm not saying they are bad, don't get me wrong, but I agree with We Are that we can beat their secondary. Do that a few times or more and the lanes start to open for the running game and we all know how that turns out!

I think we have the better team across the board. I also think we have the better coach (regardless of the stupid Texas A&M Rumors). I know we have the intangibles with an all weekend party starting with the ESPN shows followed by the white out at night. I expect the win. I hope it is as big as the lashing they gave us last year.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 am

I wouldn't predict a blowout but once Michigan's starting QB went down it changed their season. I think We Are is right about ours being the best defense they have faced this year. And, with a new QB trying to get comfortable and learn to play with the first team, on a big stage with 100,000+ screaming fans at 7:30 PM, I think their offense is going to struggle all night long.

Michigan has a good D but I doubt they get any real help from the offense. I think this game is tight in the first half but I expect PSU to dominate TOP and wear them down in the 2nd and run away with it. I think we end up with a score that makes the game look somewhat lopsided. Something like PSU 31, Michigan 10. And, I bet PSU puts up 21 of those points in the 2nd half.

Looking forward to this one. A lot. Haven't been this excited for a game since maybe 2002 Nebraska.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 am

LioninVa wrote: I expect the win. I hope it is as big as the lashing they gave us last year.

Here, here! The game has been circled long before we were #2 (or even ranked), before Barkley started to dominate, before College Game Day decided that jumping on the bandwagon, which looks good for ratings (I am quite sure, and man do I hope I am right, that Corso will pick MeatChicken in a stunning upset) and long before this game mattered nationally!
This game is a very simple one for PSU. We were embarrassed last year. I don't believe in payback or karma or any other form of revenge. It sounds good to the fan base and writers...I believe that we win because this team will be highly motivated to erase the embarrassment that occurred last year.
I think we win and win big because we are simply a better team. And YES, I think that the White-out Crowd will play a role in the game...mainly causing issues for O'Korn (or whoever if they pull him). There isn't nearly as much as stake here as the 2005 OSU game but I have a feeling the atmosphere will be very similar. It will be LOUD and very hostile...all game long!
This team has nothing to prove and I think they will play that way...loose and with reckless abandon! I think we will see a huge game from the D and Barkley with a huge run...

MeatChicken, MeatChicken, MeatChicken

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:20 am

Blue&White wrote:.

Looking forward to this one. A lot. Haven't been this excited for a game since maybe 2002 Nebraska.

I don't think you can underestimate this key factor (pointed out by B&W)...I think the PSU fan base and team is excited and that will translate to something that this MeatChicken team and their QB can not prepare for. I think it's simply an understated fact that for the first time - in a long time - we are placed on the national stage and belong there!
There is a quite calm with the base leading into this game and I think that will translate on the field. Again, I think we see a very loose and confident PSU team take the field on Sat. night!
I would not be surprised to see this be in the top 5 or top 3 in attendance! (Weather looks awesome, 70 for tailgate and 60 by game time - no rain)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am

2002 Nebraska, that's a good reference, B-Dub!! Record crowd under the lights, monstrous running back having his way with opponents, a storied opponent that we really needed to beat, if only for ourselves. Wasn't that also the famous "Operation Visine" by JCinVA?

Some variable are different, but I agree completely that the energy leading up to the game feels very similar.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:05 am

I suspect each team comes out defensively with a "stop the run" game plan and low risk / try to gain field position advantage from offensive standpoint.
If UM hands PSU short fields / TOs game can get out of hand. I think UM will have trouble putting together multiple sustained drives so they will need some big plays, TOs and to win ST field position battle to gain advantage.

The team should be rested - they had weekend off - Barkley was back home and visited his old schools and went to his old HS's football game.

More than NW I think this is a statement game - you inched up to # 2 - you're playing a marquee name opponent / coach - you're home for a night game. Do you go out and TCB?
If PSU gets on them don't expect CJF to go easy - he sent MSU a message for letting a lineman score in MSU's blowout win over PSU in 2015 and I suspect he's going to let Harbaugh know "I ain't your little brother" should be get on top of UM.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 am

Post season play is based on rankings and rankings are based on subjective perception as much as objective wins and losses. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. In 1994 Joe held up on a team that we had beat, allowed the final score to look closer than the game ever was, and PSU paid a big price for that by not even getting a share of the national championship. That sent the message loud and clear - you don't let up.

I think if Franklin gets a chance to run it up on Michigan, he's going to do it. He pretty much as to. The idea of not humiliating an opponent died years ago. And, this is an opponent who deserves to have the score run up on them. Harbaugh certainly would not think twice about throwing long late in a game when he was up a few scores. He would shrug off any criticisms of it. That's the world we have.

I won't predict a blow out but I hope like hell we get one.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:58 am

I don't want to rain on the parade, but I have a bit of an uneasiness about this game.

Is Franklin a big game coach? Are these kids ready for all that accompanies a lofty ranking as they approach the brutal part of the schedule? Can this be a special year? The Penn State fan in me wants to say a resounding yes to each of these things but the pessimistic/realist in me isn't quite sure yet.

Ahhh, screw it. I predict we dominate. I think it will look more like an Alabama "Crock-Potting" than a blowout but I expect us to show that we are a talented, more seasoned, better coached team.

Go State, beat the Wolverines!!!!
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:24 pm

I ask for only 2 things come Saturday night: a Penn State victory and Nat posting on the in-game thread during the game. Nat's posts during Michigan games are the stuff of legends.