Buckeye In Game

Blue&White
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 pm

That's a good point on the direct snaps. We didn't see that once (that I can recall) vs. OSU. I wonder why not?

We Are...2
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:00 am
Location: York, PA

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:41 pm

I was perplexed by the lack of getting Barkley the ball directly or even on a wheel route. I am assuming it was because the D was in the backfield so quickly.

Supporting facts:
Saquon Barkley averaged -.5 yards before contact, which means, on average, he was met in the backfield on every rush. Remember: He finished with just 44 yards on 21 carries. Some have complained about Barkley going east-west too much, and James Franklin did holler from the sideline once over that, but in the end, Barkley often had no where to go.

However, I would rather see Barkley have the chance to make a move rather than be tackled as soon as he is handed the ball.
Either way, i think we see it again this week. They have to compensate for the O-line and injuries. Barkley getting direct snaps helps that some.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Blue&White
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:00 pm

I thought Barkley was trying to make something out of nothing the whole game. A few times it cost him. At one point, with their backs up against the wall, it almost resulted in a safety. That call really could have gone either way. I'm not going to knock the kid for trying to compensate but he had zero help on Saturday. Running east and west were really his only options because there were Buckeyes coming through the middle every single time Trace said "hike".

They should have brought the TEs in to help on some of those designed running plays. Maybe run the option from time to time. With McSorley and Barkley, that should be really effective. Remember MRob and Tony Hunt using that in 2005? It worked well. Not sure why we don't figure that into the offense.

Whatever. It's over. Hopefully Franklin and company look at the tape, learn what they need to learn, burn it and then move on to Michigan State and the Spartans. That's all that matters now.

Shore Lion
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Barkley actually took a couple of direct snaps and then handed off to McSorely.

Blue&White
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:22 pm

Shore Lion wrote:Barkley actually took a couple of direct snaps and then handed off to McSorely.


You're right. I just blocked that stupid play from my memory.

We Are...2
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:00 am
Location: York, PA

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:28 pm

I think the main point was - tOSU was well prepared to stop the run and the RPO isn't as effective against that quick of a D. We can use the direct snap effectively on 90% of who we play - tOSU is the other 10%.
The lack of attacking - which has been our MO, in the second half hurt us. We need to play aggressive to over come the O-line issues. McSorley needs to take calculated risks to compensate for the line and ineffective run plays. I think we go back to that this week.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

PittGradPSUMad
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:38 pm

I've not been able to muster the energy to comment on what is, to me, the hardest loss to swallow since Michigan in 2005. Can't the hangover I've got over this one.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Crowbar
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby Crowbar » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:00 pm

I know this is late, but sorry to hear about your loss, Nat. :cry:

Thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

Underlion
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby Underlion » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:38 pm

And IT Barrett throws and INT.....to start the Iowa game :cry:

And he had a few drops to start also :oops:

Blue&White
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby Blue&White » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:35 pm

OSU is likely to lose that game. Hopefully we don't blow the opportunity.