Buckeye In Game

Shore Lion

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby Shore Lion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Yeah. You're right. If you would have told me in October of 2012 that PSU would be having this kind of season I'd have said you were crazy.

That said why not take a shot into the end zone when it was first and goal? A TD there and it's over.

msteinruck
Site Admin

Postby msteinruck » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Underlion wrote:We lost to a TOP 4 team that played lights out the last quarter. Back away from the cliff. We are ahead of schedule.

WE ARE

I can definitely appreciate the sentiment here. I don't disagree. But from everything I read, we can all agree that it hurts to have a game won and not play like we did against Iowa. Honestly, if I had to have a "1" in the loss column, I would have preferred it be Iowa. We were simply out coached in the second half, and we allowed them to swing the momentum back they're direction when it mattered most. There were two opportunities with the fumble recovery and from the 3-yard-line where we left points on the field. Against teams like Ohio State, you don't run up the middle three times on the 3-yard-line. I was shocked that Moorehead went as conservative as he did and didn't even give these guys a fighting chance. Such a shame, but hopefully the team moves on and wins out the rest of the way.

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Mark,

Not sure if the 4th quarter strategy was driven more by the coordinators or by Franklin. This was the Rose Bowl all over again. Go conservative and lose the game.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:29 pm

It also sucks because opportunities to run the table are so rare. We had our foots on their throats and slipped off. I think we are the class of the Big Ten this year. Shame to maybe squander that.

I believe we will be competitive for years to come. Look at recruiting classes. However. No Saquon next year and probably no Moorehead. And you know tOSU and Michigan will both be better. So when the goings good, capitalize! And we were until today. My disappointment stems for that. This was a great year to make the playoff. Can't let's those slip with Meyer and Harbaugh in the division.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:49 pm

As I reflect some more I realize that PSU was just not the best team on the field. They weren't. OSU made a lot of mistakes but they owned the line of scrimmage on both sides. At the end PSU could not block anyone. Moorhead really had no options. OSU still has more depth and overall talent. Sure I'm bummed they couldn't essentially steal one in the Shoe but they were outclassed in the end. No real shame in that.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Shore Lion wrote:As I reflect some more I realize that PSU was just not the best team on the field. They weren't. OSU made a lot of mistakes but they owned the line of scrimmage on both sides. At the end PSU could not block anyone. Moorhead really had no options. OSU still has more depth and overall talent. Sure I'm bummed they couldn't essentially steal one in the Shoe but they were outclassed in the end. No real shame in that.

Agree, goodnight, the sun will rise tomorrow and I'll avoid reading about it. :cry:

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:06 pm

I was stunned that the defense was so porous tonight! I know we kept them here and there but their offense marched down the field like we were Swiss cheese. I never thought we would be here (due to probation) so I am happy about that but we are here so this was disappointing. DOn't quote me on this but I don't think Saquon flanked out as a WR at all tonight? I have no clue why when Trace could have been running all over their defense. All we had to do tonight was control the ball a bit and we win. We let a huge one slip away. Feels like the Michigan game a decade ago!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:16 pm

Barrett was 33 of 39 with at least 3 drops! The defense shit the bed tonight. These guys ran wide open down the middle of the field.

msteinruck
Site Admin

Postby msteinruck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:52 am

I feel like Moorehead’s offense is dynamic enough to always have options. There were a lot of things that we’ve seen in previous games that didn’t come out. It seemed like once OSU was committed to the blitz or sending the linebacker around the corner every play, our offensive play calling regressed to a handoff in the backfield which got blown up every time. I just don’t understand the mentality of getting a lead and sitting on it in this day and age.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:36 am

I kept expecting to see that play that they discussed on the sidelines last week. Reports were they had another wrinkle that they held back. I didn’t see anything creative in the second half that I recall. And JT looks so dejected coming off the field at one point in the 4th. That I figured we would pull the play out and go for the insurance points.