Buckeye In Game

pennstate92

Re: Buckeye In Game

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:25 am

This was one of those instant classics that you wish you were on the winning side for. Glad I watched Vanderbilt lose vs. staying home to have my heart broken. Hat tip to Meyer and to JT Barrett and to the Buckeyes. As for being ticked off - not watching the game gave me a certain level of equanimity when the final score came down. I thought the team played their asses off. Ohio State isn't much better than us, but they are better, especially on both lines. Their DLine made some key stops when they needed to, their OLine protected Barrett all game. And Ohio State was relentless.

Now to look forward to a beatable Michigan State team.

We Are still Penn State.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:38 am

Somewhere in this thread Nat lost his grandmother...my sincere condolences to you, sir. I know your pain.

We now know for sure what play to run when we gotta have a 7-yard loss. :evil:

This one hurts because as some have said these run-the-table opportunities are very rare, and to squander one in the worst possible way (I.e., blowing a 15-pt lead, Meyer, the ‘shoe) really sucks. IMO the blocked punt initiated the total coaching breakdown and never should have happened. JF looked like a scared child from that point onward. Losing Buchholz really hurt us, I think even more than the loss of Bates. Toney got nothing done in his place.

We have a lot to play for, even if it’s “only” a 1-loss season and a New Years bowl victory...

Go Lions!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:38 am

That was incredibly frustrating. I don't know where to even begin.

Where is We Are? He told me they were ready and couldn't lose. He promised. I want answers and I want them now.

Or later. I guess later works too.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:54 am

Way to keep your sense of humor, BW. No doubt you will be ready for next week.

Ditto on condolences to Nat. We all share your pain, partner. :(
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:05 am

I missed Nat's post. Sorry for your loss, Nat. Sure keeps things in perspective.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks all for the condolences. My grandmother lived a long and full life and spent her last year's in the throws of dimentia so in some ways her passing was a blessing.

Penn State, as much as it pains me to say, lost to the better team. I think skill position wise we more than match up but there was a clear mismatch on the lines. Losing Bucholtz was brutal and when we had fo reshuffle the O-Line it fell apart.

Thought we didn't do enough, particularly at the end, to let our playmakers make plays. The drive in the 4th where we came away with three points was amazing until the 1st and goal playcalling. Need to attempt one pass there. Or mix in the toss to Barkley where he throws. They just pinned back their ears and ate up the runs. It really felt like we played not to lose and well, we lost.

JT Barrett played a hell of a 4th quarter, but man did he have all day to stand there and deliver the ball. Was surprised not to see our DBs get their heads around and try to play the ball. You could feel it happening in the 4th, we were going to lose that game.

We really did get almost all of the breaks in that game (PI call that overturned an OSU pick, the TD that was originally called a pick was the right call, and lots of bounces). OSU was the better team and it kills me to say that because I loathe that Team/Coach/Fanbase with every fiber of my being.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:52 am

One last thing before I move to the Eagles game today. Disappointed in Moorehead lack of pkaycalling the last 20 minutes of the game. I could have made those same play calls from the seat of my chair. RPO or throw the ball up for a 50/50 catch. No creativity at all. Rewstching some of the game and remember trace had saquon on a wheel route but didn't get him the ball. Should have used Gesicki way more in this game. Short passes to keep Lb at bay or hit some slants. It just felt like we curled into the fetal position and laid an egg.

Just watched last 3 plays (listened to the end of game in car) when we got the ball with 4 minutes to go and that pkaycalling was absolutely hideous.no wonder we lost the game. No creativity! Every football fan in the world knew OSU would be stacking that box. I put this loss on the coaches

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Regarding plays... 2 games, no 2QB plays. Surprising.

Packed it in and closed the playbook hoping the defense would hold on. Had they scored the TD not the FG, or not had the punt block it likely would have worked.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Beyond our coaching gaffes, the insufferable Fox clowns deserve to fired. Their commentary during the Tompkins TD review was beyond ridiculous. Ignorance of basic rules of the sport which you are being paid to announce nationally is a fireable offense in my book.

EDIT: just re-read this post...didn’t mean to imply our coaches should be fired. Not at all. Should have clarified that the announcers were worse than the 4th Q coaching. :roll:

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 am

Geez it's Monday morning and I'm not over this loss yet. It's not that PSU lost, I can handle that and as I said earlier, I truly believe OSU is a better all around team right now. It's the way that PSU lost that still rankles me. They had a chance to steal one in the Shoe. Not even trying to get McSorely or Barkley in space when it was first and goal. That's playing not to lose, instead of playing to win.

The worst is that I work with an OSU grad and his emails are a gray background with scarlet letters. Man I hate that guy.