Penn State at Michigan State Pregame

pennstate92

Penn State at Michigan State Pregame

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 am

Just because...healing.

I think we come out really hungry next week. I don't see Michigan State's offense being a huge threat, and I believe our defense, which is still a solid unit despite yesterday's collapse, will come to play. Offensively, it's a bounce back week for Barkley (who still had over 150 total yards in a down week).

It will be interesting to see how Franklin shuffles the personnel after the loss of a couple of key players.

Despite the attrition, I will dare to make a bold prediction: 35 - 17 - good guys win.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

We Are...2

Re: Penn State at Michigan State Pregame

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:10 am

Bounce back week.
One point doesn't come close to defining this team. We come out firing and don't look back. They players have moved on...I choose to also. Barkley will play just a little different this week. I think the whole team will, what happened Sat will ignite some of the fire that has been burning. I think you will see a team with an edge again.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 am

My hope is that the team will use this as a rallying point and demand from each other their best to compensate for the loss Sat.

Haven't followed msu this season but saw they lost to NW in triple OT. That should take some steam out of them for our game. I think we will not allow the disappointment hangover last into the next game and we will be ready to play.

Does anyone know the status of our injured players? I heard that Buckholtz and Bates were wearing ankle/foot boots, not knee devices which is good as I thought they both tore up their knees. Miller and Campbell were injured but played so I hope they can recoup prior to the next game.

I have no idea which bowl or playoff game we will land in but Mrs. Spackler told me she would like to got to the bowl game. I was surprised as she has never said this before despite 35 yrs of season tickets and probably close to 200 games attended. She still wants to go back and see a game in Beaver Stadium. I did not think she would be this interested. Time will tell.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:21 am

They players have moved on...I choose to also

How do you know?

No offense, and I know it's just your writing style, but this constant presumption of what the team thinks, feels and knows just always makes me twitch. They are very young men, barely past childhood, and a lot of expectations are put upon them by people who make a lot of money while they get nothing. Hopefully they are past it, but that was a big loss in a big moment. For many of them it was the biggest stage they have ever been on. That loss sucked, but I thought all those kids were great. Hopefully they all moved on, but you can't say that as a blanket statement. You have absolutely no idea how each player handles it as an individual. Some will shrug and move on, some will not.

Anyway, moving on .... Michigan State is not OSU. Hopefully the coaches can get them to focus on what is next and the rest of the season. Last Saturday was an emotional loss for a good team. It happens. I think if they can pull it all together, they will be fine and will beat MSU handily. Hopefully we don't have the type of emotional let down we saw after we lost to Michigan in 1999 and then cratered the next 2 games.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38 am

They players have moved on...I choose to also

How do you know?

Answer: Under Franklin and the team leadership, they will/have...it's just the team mentality - like it or not! Dwelling on it does nothing - learning from it - makes you better.

I am basing my "presumptions" on what I can see and read from the team comments. It was a general comment, intended to give an overall view of that the players were saying post-game. This team has better cohesion than to let one loss define them. It's that thinking that keeps teams from winning National Championships.
Yes, they lost and yes it sucks. Move on...win out and win big. That you can control. Franklin has always preached one game at a time and the players believe that - it hasn't changed because of one game. I think we all deal with a loss differently, however I also think that this team will use this, just as they have in the past to become a better team.
As much as everyone hates to admit it tOSU is a good team and we lost. Facts are facts. The leadership on this team will rise above selling out for one loss. They will be just fine moving forward.
I think the I will choose to stand on the word "perspective" this week. Because if we / team can't find some...then why go play this week? You get knocked down...you get back up...end of story. I choose to not make excuses but rather look for a way to learn and move forward...

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 am

I get the same "twitch" at times too B&W with all the "the team this, the team that" etc. but I think he's right in this case. If they didn't fold up shop last year after having their asses beat in Ann Arbor and sitting at 2-2 I don't think a close loss to a very good team will deflate them too much.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:53 am

I would submit that the team will be "a new team" coming off the loss. That they will find something in themselves that wasn't there before. That we will see a team that is exacting revenge on Michigan State.

HOWEVER:

That is not who this team is. They will / have gone over the tape - over and over and have dissected what when wrong and why. They will try to correct it and they will also plan for a much different team in Michigan St. (as well as the 3 remaining games). Dwelling on the loss is just something that isn't in the makeup of this team. It serves them no purpose. The interviews, at least from the starters, were concise and to the point. They scored 1 more point than we did. The team knows they lost and also knows it can happen again if they want to reach their goals. The team has set a bar for THEMSELVES and that is what is important. They can still reach it and will play accordingly. Why? Because WE ARE...2 says so - nope, because they are a team, a family and strive for something greater than can be achieved as individual players.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Why am I getting a sense of "the sky is falling" because we may not play in the B10 Championship game? (Not so much on here but in everyone I am talking to...) Honestly, let tOSU go and play one extra game. What happens if Wisky loses before that game (they still go to the championship game) and then knocks off tOSU? PSU may get in and not have to play the extra game...hum, sounds just like...last year!
There is way too much ball to be played for the "sky is falling' scenario to even be mentioned. Again, we can control this week...

Sparty, Sparty, Sparty!

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:51 pm

I think we'll handle MSU this weekend, perhaps with the score not clearly reflecting any dominance - maybe 31-21.

What I won't be speculating on are the machinations needed to get us into the playoffs. Hate to say it, but our OL is not playoff-worthy, with or without Bates. OSU basically ripped off our OL's arms and beat 'em to death with said appendages. At this point Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama could copy OSU's defensive m.o. and, I think, easily duplicate the results. Just a week or two ago, when comparing the 2017 offense to 1994's was still somewhat in vogue, I was wincing, as the Conlin/Greeley/Hartings/Johnson/Rivera gang was one of CFB's best ever, let alone PSU's best. The guys we have now could possibly grow into the best OL in the 2018 BiG, as I think the talent is there. But I don't see it happening this season - the OL performance has been way too spotty against way too many mediocre defenses. They were called out big time last Saturday.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:04 pm

There are no dramatic O-line enhancements coming in the next 4 weeks, I think we all know that. They are good enough to help win out and I completely agree that any of the top 4 teams could do the same against them. I also know that we may be able to fix some problems and adjust some to have a chance to win said game against the top 4. It's always a tougher game for us because of the O-line but we have overcome that adversity before and will so again.
I think comparisons are not really fair or relevant, at least as far as the players are concerned. This team will need to adapt and overcome their shortcomings. I think they will.
There are teams better than PSU - but that doesn't mean they can beat them. (man, I can see the fallout for that statement coming...)

Notes on player's mindset:

For Thompkins, the message he took in from the coaches and seniors who stood up to speak in the locker room was clear, that adversity strikes every team and the opportunity to capitalize on an even stronger bounce back is now.

As Gesicki noted, the bounce back begins at the end of the 20-minute correction period on the field today, with the conclusion signaling only one thing - Michigan State.