Penn State at Michigan State Pregame

Crowbar

Re: Penn State at Michigan State Pregame

Postby Crowbar » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer here. :|

Noon game, on the road, playing a Jeckyll & Hyde team and following a devastating loss to boot. This spells trouble.

Even if they finish 11-2 that is nothing to be a shamed of. That would be 22 wins over 2 years. That would be pretty damn impressive.

Regardless, this has the makings of a tough, ugly loss.

Sparty 24, Penn State 10.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Wow. Harsh.

I love this team. I'm gonna miss the hell out of Barkley next year, even if he ends up on the Giants. I think they win out & we go to a solid bowl in an exciting match up.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:45 am

Notes on player's mindset:

For Thompkins, the message he took in from the coaches and seniors who stood up to speak in the locker room was clear, that adversity strikes every team and the opportunity to capitalize on an even stronger bounce back is now.

As Gesicki noted, the bounce back begins at the end of the 20-minute correction period on the field today, with the conclusion signaling only one thing - Michigan State.

I think the overall view of the loss to tOSU is a lot more devastating to the fan-base than the team. By Monday morning they have dissected what went wrong and will try to correct it. I know there are some glaring O-line issues but Michigan St. isn't tOSU. Franklin and the leaders have taken the loss and moved on. I know everyone wants to think it will linger in the players mind and somehow alter their play. I just don't see it. They know they are good and they know that the only way to reach their goal is to win.
Noon games for this team really haven't been an issue. Road games, not as much an issue as previous teams and playing off a loss, not really a factor.
I think the fan-base is so devastated by the way we lost that it isn't seeing this team for what they are. A great PSU team with 1 loss. 4 games from now we could be sitting in a really good position and fan-base be damned, the team is getting to that goal.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:37 am

I hope and pray you guys are right.

I just don't see it though.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:44 am

MSU isn't Ohio State. They are not nearly as good. I don't think this game is a "gimme" but I expect us to win. But, it absolutely depends on how the team reacts to that loss in Columbus. I suspect a lot of the kids were planning on a playoff run. That is likely off the table. If they dwell on that, we could come out very flat this Saturday.

I guess we will find out in a few days. I'm not making any predictions for this one. I hope Franklin has gotten them out of their own heads and they are focused on the task ahead. Even with that loss, they are having a great season and can still finish with only 1 loss. That is nothing to scoff at. Neither is a top 10 ranking. Lots to still play for. Lots to be proud of. And, Barkley still have a shot at the Heisman. I know that is an individual award but it takes a group effort.

I guess we find out now what kind of motivator Franklin is. He certainly rallied the team after we got crushed by Michigan last year, but expectations were very different at that point.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:11 pm

This should help:

A players-only gathering

Franklin said he usually has a role in players-only meetings, presumably helping to set them up, but he said that wasn't the case on Sunday following the loss.

Instead, the team's leaders took it into their own hands, and the head coach was happy with not only how it played out, but also how his team and staff responded to the setback.

"I could not have more confidence in our players," Franklin said. "They had a player-only meeting on their own on Sunday. It was not a long meeting at all. It was really good. Some things they just wanted to get off their chest, then Sunday's practice was good, meetings were good; it kind of starts with me, and I went in with the staff, and the players, and we as the coaching staff set the tone for everything.

"We were able to make corrections, learn from it , and we were able to grow."

Point of Interest:

My keys to not only beating Michigan State but reaching 30plus -
1. Throw on first down - we need to utilize the receivers and put us in 2nd and short. The RPO will work very effectively if we are only needing 5 yards max on second down.
2. Involve Barkley in the passing game ALOT! Wheel routes, slot receiver and flare passes, as well as outlet receiver for Trace. Barkley can hurt Michigan State a lot if given the ball in space.
3. Contain the running of QB Brian Lewerke, he has more rushing yards than Trace.
4. Cause turnovers, something this team is great at.
5. Special teams cleanup week. We need to stop mistakes and pin Michigan State back as much as possible.
6. Start fast and finish!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 am

Don't forget people, there is extra inspiration this week. PSU is playing to hold onto the Land Grant Trophy! :D

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am

Shore Lion wrote:Don't forget people, there is extra inspiration this week. PSU is playing to hold onto the Land Grant Trophy! :D

The single ugliest trophy in college football. FYI - congratulations need to go to the 4th grade class of State Elementary for using enough Elmer's glue to hold their project together for this long! "Clap Clap"

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:41 am

Shore Lion wrote:Don't forget people, there is extra inspiration this week. PSU is playing to hold onto the Land Grant Trophy! :D

Yeah, that thing is extra motivation to lose the game. :twisted: :mrgreen:

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:15 pm

I expect we will see a much different run look to what we saw last week. Getting Barkley the ball in space will priority #1. Along with more deep and intermediate balls from McSorely.

Adjusted O-line:
Ryan Bates (52) LT - may be out - Will Fries (71) expected to move to LT and Chasz Wright (77) handling RT.

D-Line Adjustments:
Ryan Buchholz (97) may be out. Shaka Toney (18), Shane Simmons (34) and Yetur Matos-Gross (99) are part of the rotation and PSU could move Kevin Givens (30) from DT to DE.

FYI on the Player's Only Meeting and Practice:
Meeting helped lead to what Gesicki called the offense's best Tuesday practice of the season, and Campbell added that the loss was in the rearview mirror with a tough matchup opposite the Spartans on deck.

"We got a great team that we're playing against, and it just makes me hungrier," the corner said. "I feel like everybody on our team has a chip on their shoulder. Things happen, you know, and sometimes teams have to bounce back from a tough loss, but I'm just hungry and want to keep playing and keep fighting."