Michigan State In-Game

Blue&White

Re: Michigan State In-Game

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:27 am

I would think so. I doubt he's going to have much of an NFL career.

Of course, I also thought McGloin would never be on another roster, much less play in another football game, when he graduated so I wouldn't put too much on my opinion.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:45 am

Pretty sure Trace will stay.

Our program has emerged from the death penalty, which never achieved its goal, earlier than anyone reasonably could have expected with a spectacular turn around last season after two 7-6 seasons. I believe too much, given injuries and younger players assuming roles of responsibility without the experience necessary to blossom in those roles, was expected of them and this season, in retrospect.

Isn't it nice to be spoiled by unexpected success. I expected us to struggle by last season and barely achieve a winning record.
Spoiled!

We are on a vertical trajectory, not quite as vertical as we deluded ourselves to believe but still way above horizontal.

Happy Days are ahead but sad days will still be mixed in them.

It's only a game guys. The older you get the more you realize that. I've followed our team since 1966 at least and have had many up and down experiences. I used to have a case of the would'as and could'as and should'as but now realize the only statistic that is important is the final score and how you achieve it is immaterial. ;)

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:53 pm

We still have a shot at back to back Top 10 finishes. I haven’t looked, but I bet it’s been a long time since that happened. Not happy with the loss, but didn’t make plays when we needed to make plays and Michigan St did. Big picture, we are wayyyyy ahead of schedule.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:18 pm

I agree. I'm disappointed with the loss but this is still good team. I plan to watch every down of the remaining season and cheer for these kids until the end of the bowl game. It's a good bunch and I don't think they ever quit. Sometimes you do your best and you lose. The last few years have given a lot more perspective on that.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Shane wrote:We still have a shot at back to back Top 10 finishes. I haven’t looked, but I bet it’s been a long time since that happened. Not happy with the loss, but didn’t make plays when we needed to make plays and Michigan St did. Big picture, we are wayyyyy ahead of schedule.

Last back to back Top 10 rankings were 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Well ok then, I guess it wasn’t that long ago. Still something to hang your hat on, though not the playoffs we were all hoping for.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:02 pm

To Grower's question, I think it's 100% that Trace stays, if only because there's nowhere for him to go. Love the guy, but an early NFL draft pick he's not. That's not to say he can't play in NFL, only that he will have no opportunity to go early IMO.

As for season perspective the constructive view is that the program is going through necessary growing pains with these tough road losses. Winning 'em all is really, really hard. But I do feel bad for the guys that will be gone without a chance to make the playoffs - if anyone "deserved" such a shot via character, perseverance, attitude, etc., it's this bunch. Someday (soon, I hope) when a Franklin team makes the final 4, a guy like Marcus Allen, and others, will have every right to claim ownership of a small piece of that opportunity, as would a Mauti, Zordich, or even O'Brien.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 pm

I assume you all saw that Franklin chased down some players and made sure they didn't walk off the field before they shook hands with the MSU players after the game.

I was on the fence about Franklin at one point, but the last 2 years have turned me around. And, not just because of the record. Things like that matter. It's a game between two teams of student athletes. We all know what a farce that is, but I appreciate Franklin trying to keep some semblance of the student athlete ethos alive. And, beyond that, I'm happy with the job he's done the past 2 years. Sure, a playoff shot would be great, but that's a tough thing to do and we had 2 tough road games. We had some key injuries, we lack some depth and experience, and we lost to two good teams on their fields. I'd be happier with wins, but what can you do?

Anyway, I was glad that the handshake thing was a story that got picked up and has made the rounds. It makes Franklin, and therefore PSU, look good and we need all the good publicity we can get.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 am

PSUgrower wrote:I think Trace stays for one more year. What do you all think?

I don't even think there's a thought he won't. Where would he go? He's not an NFL QB. Not a knock on him, I love watching him play and guys like him are why I vastly prefer college ball over the NFL. What makes you ask the question?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 am

Blue&White wrote:I assume you all saw that Franklin chased down some players and made sure they didn't walk off the field before they shook hands with the MSU players after the game.

I was on the fence about Franklin at one point, but the last 2 years have turned me around. And, not just because of the record. Things like that matter. It's a game between two teams of student athletes. We all know what a farce that is, but I appreciate Franklin trying to keep some semblance of the student athlete ethos alive. And, beyond that, I'm happy with the job he's done the past 2 years. Sure, a playoff shot would be great, but that's a tough thing to do and we had 2 tough road games. We had some key injuries, we lack some depth and experience, and we lost to two good teams on their fields. I'd be happier with wins, but what can you do?

Anyway, I was glad that the handshake thing was a story that got picked up and has made the rounds. It makes Franklin, and therefore PSU, look good and we need all the good publicity we can get.

Franklin always compliments the opposition as the first part of his on field post game comments and in his press conf. I saw Ferentz do that post OSU game too. I watched Urbie post PSU and he never mentioned our team at all. Notable difference in attitude imo. Urbie burned himself out at Florida and I wonder given his sideline posture if that isn't beginning to occur at OSU too. As long as they won all the games he was fine but a few losses or very close games shows the cracks in his posture.