Michigan State In-Game

PennState03Chris

Re: Michigan State In-Game

Postby PennState03Chris » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Whelp, that stings. Two straight games that we should have won, and two straight games that we lost in the last minute or two.

Thoroughly unimpressed with the coaching staff and, particularly, adjustments from the coaching staff, in each of these two losses.

Why do I invest so much emotionally in such a silly game?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Jerry Garcia wrote:
Crowbar wrote:I think the drubbing OSU took today makes the loss sting even more. They could have started to climb back up the polls today if they won.

UGH.

Yes, but I don't think we could beat Wisconsin. They'd jam it down our throats on both sides of the ball IMO.

Agree.

Shane

Postby Shane » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Those are as tough back to back losses as it gets. Hope we can recover and it doesn’t turn in to an avalanche.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 pm

PennState03Chris wrote:
Why do I invest so much emotionally in such a silly game?

I ask this myself.

Been a true PSU fan since 1990. Graduated from Dear Old State in 1996. I have sat through numerous devastating losses. And they NEVER get easy. The sting never lessens.

On the bright side. Being a sports fan has an upside and has a valuable life lesson to it. It teaches you how to deal with disappointment. For every one glorious moment you experience, there are a minimum of ten clunkers that follow.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Guys, cheer yourselves up and read some of today's OSU message board posts. I am seriously sitting alone in my house tonight laughing my a$$ off at most of the comments. Priceless stuff I tell ya... :lol:

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:31 pm

When things look gloomy, you can usually turn to schadenfreude for a pick-me-up :D .

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 am

As angry as I am right now I need to remember that I really didn't think this team would be competing until 2018. It has been a fun 2 years.

With that being said, moral victories only take you so far. I just can't understand for the life of me why Moorehead can't put in 10 plays where the running back get the ball in stride! This starting and stopping crap has to go. Look how many yards saquon gets when they get him the ball in stride. He is a beast to bring down. Try to arm tackle him and he will break your shoulder. The defense is just getting worn down because they are on the field so much.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:35 am

I'm not angry....disappointed, yes, but not angry. Time to take a step back and consider the reality of our expectations along with the reality of a good, but not great, 2017 Penn State football team. First, the expectations. Prior to the season, I believe it safe to say the majority of us would've considered a 10-2 season a great success with the realistic possibility of a 9-3 season...or worse. Very few of us expected this to be the year Penn State would make a run at the national title. A 7-0 start despite uncertainty aplenty sprinkled throughout those victories allowed many of us to consider a 12-0 season within reach along with a shot at the national championship. The reality, though, is tempered by the struggles along the offensive line where right tackle at times has looked like a swinging gate. What really frustrates is the knowledge that Saquon Barkley, arguably the best player in college football and, perhaps, Penn State's best RB of the last fifty years, can't perform to the level we expect to see when he is met consistently by three defenders in the backfield. Blame it on the coaches or the offensive scheme if you will, but coaches can't make the blocks....players do, and our OL has not been able to get the job done. That's on them, and they are still young and gaining experience. I'm guessing that Miles Sanders will enjoy greater success next year behind a more mature, experienced OL, but it won't erase the frustration at seeing Barkley's enormous talents get throttled behind the line of scrimmage. As for the defense, three games in 2017 inform the current situation...USC, OSU and MSU....three games where Penn State led in the fourth quarter but saw the defense get torched. Is it because of Pry's dependence on the blitz? I believe there is something to that, but consider last night's achille's heel....third and long. With MSU pinned deep in it's one territory...third and eighteen....Pry chose NOT to blitz, instead going with a three man rush. Lewerke had all the time in the world to find an open receiver which resulted in a thirty yard gain and the eventual score. Penn State blitzed all night long, yet with the chance to put Sparty in a deep hole, he rushes three. If ever there was a situation that called for the proverbial jailbreak, it was that one. So, where do we go from here? That, I believe, is up to the coaches more than the players. Penn State has more than enough talent to win out against the likes of Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland, but the coaches need to right this ship in a hurry or all that talent won't prevent a collapse like the one we witnessed at the end of the 1999 season. James Franklin, the great motivator, is about to have his motivation skills severely tested.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:53 am

Like to see us finish 10-2.

Don't care about the bowl game except so far as the team continues to practice & hopefully improve.

If I have a complaint this year (which I expected 10-2 anyway), it's that we had arguably the best player in college football and did not do a good job of consistently putting him in a position to succeed. Franklin's dogmatic approach to the RPO was our undoing, I think. And I wonder how hot a commodity Coach JM actually will be this offseason.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:17 am

I think Trace stays for one more year. What do you all think?