Coach Franklin Prepares

PittGradPSUMad

Re: Coach Franklin Prepares

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Great article, Shore...thanks for posting. Thus far, we've seen James Franklin, the super optimistic coach who at times appeared to be more sizzle than steak. This article shows JF's humanity, what drives him and how he approached the complexity of a difficult job made exponentially more difficult because of "him". I did not know of JF's background, his British mum and the hardship of growing up without a father. Importantly, he has a good heart which is evidenced in the way he relates to his players. I wish him success, not because it is Penn State, but because he wants to make a difference in the lives of the young men who have placed their their trust in his hands. Sounds like someone we once knew and revered.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:33 am

Ditto what Mad said! What a great article to start my Friday before a long holiday weekend of football!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:01 am

Just read that and really enjoyed that. Franklin has worked out to be a good fit. Not just because he won last year (and needs to keep winning) but because he seems to get the success with honor mantra. Time will tell if he lives it as well as he speaks it, but so far I'm happy with him.

chas

Postby chas » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Coach Franklin enters his office just in time for lunch. He has calls to make, paperwork to complete, and list after list of team related punch lists to go over. He smiles as he sees the tray his administrative assistant put together.

“Turkey and swiss on a pretzel roll with that dark mustard, coleslaw, two bags of kettle chips, the XL sweet iced tea and two garlic pickles. Winning brings benefits.

Labor Day is just another working day for us, but everyone has an extra bounce in their step. That is good, so long as the team directs that energy into getting prepared. Akron counts as one W, and that’s it. Pitt, Pitt, Pitt, is all that matters this week. This game will tell me if the team continues to buy what we have been telling them about work, being prepared, and keeping focus. If they read the press and believe they have arrived I have a problem.

There are definitely things we can improve. The defensive ends did not produce the pass rush we need against the rest of our schedule. The tackles dominated their OL, and that goes for whoever we put in there. Did the wet conditions slow the outside speed rush? It sure did not slow Saquon.
I want to see more dominant play by the OL. I want to see us force our will on the opponent. We had a few too many negative yardage plays for my liking. We have to turn those into 3 or 4 yard gains.

Trace played well, but he can improve. He was trying to be careful with the ball, using touch and not leading receivers as he normally would. I want to see him on a dry surface with his usual mentality.

I want to see the kicking game repeat their performance. The punting game was excellent, but the KO team did well too. You can win games when you give an offense like ours field position on nearly every exchange.

We gave Pitt lots to think about. We showed off Tommy, we played lots of kids on both sides of the ball, and our best players showed why last year was just a preview for this year. In this game our plan is to do what we do best. I want to come at them with our best, do the basics, and beat them straight up. We do not need to show anything special, just keep them guessing we might.

OK, now who does Sandy want me to call today? Did they take care of those tickets for that kid’s family? Pitt, Pitt, Pitt.”

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:55 pm

Nice! I think it would be hilarious if somehow JF was able to read these :lol: