Rutgers In-Game

Underlion

Re: Rutgers In-Game

Postby Underlion » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:55 pm

We lose 3 yards every time we take a knee. Good thing we didn't need to run 3 plays or it would have been 35-8.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:00 pm

The attention that Barkley commands is a BIG season PSU has 8 wins. If the OL is not significantly better next year it could be a very long season.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:34 pm

That's a good point. But, our line should be a lot better - largely 3- & 4-star recruits, nearly all returning, nearly all with 1-2 full yrs experience, and 2-deep all along. Plus, from what I've seen of Miles Sanders, he looks like a 1000+yd back, with receiving skills - no Barkely, but a legit 5-star RB. We might actually be surprisingly good, but it's all dependent on the OL, as always.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:14 pm

All in all a nice win following those two gut wrenching losses. Hopefully they're back on track. Considering what happened to Nebraska today and what is happening to Maryland right now the final two games should be wins. Just hope they they keep the focus and intensity.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:17 pm

This game looked a lot like the NW game - Rutgers D was so intent on stopping SB they forgot the object of the game is to not allow your opponent to outscore you. So once again - kudos for keeping Barkley's stats down but you lost the game by 4 TDs (and I think if PSU challenges call on catch by Barkley at 10 yd line that is likely 5 TDs).
There were at least 10 plays where the ball was faked to Barkley and he was 3-4 yards from McSorley and he had 1-3 Rutger's players tackling him. He was almost tackled as much without the ball as with it. The replay on McS's TD run showed how half the RU D bit on SB's direction allowing for TD run. Barkley had some stats against OSU and MSU - those teams beat PSU by shutting down pass game and PSU defense collapsing in 2nd half. If a bad to mediocre team just plays D against SB and no one else they will keep his stats down - and they will get blown out.

The OL is a struggle but half the negative plays result from a defender coming completely free - it isn't poor blocking - it's no one blocking a guy - so either there are missed assignments or teams have figured out the PSU O and the schemes need to be tweaked. The run game wasn't there but pass blocking was more than adequate.

Props to D and D coaches who quickly realized RU had no pass games and started stacking the box - once they did that RU was done. Like everyone else I'd love to see SB get more opportunities but if a D is going to have a strategy where stopping him is more important than stopping PSU from scoring - what the heck just throw the ball and lay 5-7 TDS on them.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:51 am

I did a bunch of yard work yesterday and watched this hours after it was over. I avoided this thread so I didn't know what was going on. Not a lot to add over what has already been said, but a few thoughts:

- this game was pretty much what I expected. A little slower start than I would have guessed, but we ultimately beat down an inferior team.
- I agree with Franklin's "it is what it is" attitude about Barkley. It's not his job to get Barkley carries and yards, it's his job to win football games. If the team is best served by getting the opposing defense to key in on Barkley and we can move the ball other ways, then so be it.
- that pass to Hamilton-flip back to Barkley-Barkley run the ball play was amazing. I wish they had pulled that sucker out during the OSU game or even the MSU game. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Someone in this thread called it a "flea flicker" but I'm not sure it was even that. Whatever you want to call it, I wish they broke it out earlier in the season.

Overall, not an exciting game once we got rolling, but I've had enough excitement for a season. Win 2 more, finish 10 - 2 and go on to a NYD bowl. I'd be ok with that.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:27 am

I called it a flea flicker but someone else called it a hook and ladder which is probably more accurate. I also wonder where it was in the past few games.

I agree that the goal is to win the game rather than. Get Saquon stats. Booth would be nice but the win is better.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Anniversary was a success. Steak dinner out w/ a couple of stiff Jack Daniels for flavor - may have posted that already.

That play's called the hook and ladder, and I'm with BW, where was that against MSU or OSU?

Oline has regressed this year. Injuries certainly hurt, but I hope the best 5 next year can stay healthy and be more productive w/ an add'l year under their belt. Also hope that next season produces more balance on offense. Will provide us more oppy's in every facet of the game if that's the case.

Barkley, I think, will have a wonderful NFL career. Hope CJF let's him walk out w/ the seniors next week.

That's all I got.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Glad you came to your senses and ignored my McD/DQ advice, '92. It's what smart people generally do. :geek:

Regarding JF's 'is what it is' comment, I would be more accepting of it had our offense been productive in the 4th quarters at OSU and MSU despite Barkley's shutdown. To me it came off wrong, kind of like 'yeah, we have best offensive player in the country getting stoned every play, but so what.' That works if we're 9-0 or even 8-1, but not when every other offensive option is being shut down too. I don't really care about SB's stats, but I think his lack of production in those two games led to two defeats.

In defense of JF, he's the one probably losing sleep over his OL, not me, and he knows much better than me why they're not producing at this point. He's also the one having to lean on Limegrover for some answers (I assume). But at over $400k/game I'd like to hear a little more thoughtful answer from him on the subject.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:47 pm

It wasn't the most thoughtful answer, no doubt. But, I understand what he was trying to say.

Glad the anniversary went well, but Jack Daniels? There is so much good whiskey in the world, would anyone over 25 with a decent income ever order Jack? We need to talk, my friend, and educate you on the finer things life has to offer. We're no longer 18 and in Cooper Hall, there is no excuse for the cheap stuff!