Other College Football Games

Crowbar

Re: Other College Football Games

Postby Crowbar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Ohio State was physically and emotionally spent after the PSU game. This helped lead the Bucks to the disaster at Iowa. Nice to know the Nittany Lions had a bit of a role in OSU getting shut out. 8-) :D

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:11 pm

Blue&White wrote:
PSUgrower wrote:BTW, I have been saying this for years, go to 8 teams. You have the 5 championship winner and then pick 3 more. It makes complete sense

Everyone has been saying that for years. And, if it ever happens you're going to have all kinds of arguments about how do you rank teams 7 and 8 higher than 9 and 10.These types of debates won't end because you expand the number. Just look at the NCAA tournament. 64 teams and there are still arguments. I doubt the 4 team format changes any time soon. The traditional bowls still make a lot of money and an on-going tournament is less likely to generate the same amount of revenue. You would end up pulling a bunch of teams out of lucrative New Year's Day bowls, and I can't see that happening. And, its really all about the Benjamins.

I was actually saying before we 4 teams. I always thought we should have 8 so being champions of your league means something. I think it changes because the NCAA will make tons of money if we went to 8. There is always going to be problems on who should get in. I just think conference champs should get in-depth end of story. Btw, we are ranked number 9 so I don't think we would have gotten in.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:19 pm

I am fine with 4 but would be ok with8 as well as long as it doesn’t screw some lower teams from a a bowl game. I love that half of the teams can send seniors off with a win after the regular season.

That said, bring on Washington in the Fiesta Bowl!

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:41 pm

As it played out today, I’m not sure the Michigan State loss really mattered in making the playoffs. I think a one loss PSU team still get left out. For that to have happened in back to back years would have been really frustrating.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Shane wrote:As it played out today, I’m not sure the Michigan State loss really mattered in making the playoffs. I think a one loss PSU team still get left out. For that to have happened in back to back years would have been really frustrating.

A PSU BIG champ with 1 loss to MSU is assuredly in. It was the OSU game. The MSU game could have been justified by the committee, coming off emotional win in Columbus, bizarre weather delay in East Lansing etc. One point, one stinking point.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Crowbar wrote:Ohio State was physically and emotionally spent after the PSU game. This helped lead the Bucks to the disaster at Iowa. Nice to know the Nittany Lions had a bit of a role in OSU getting shut out. 8-) :D

I like that. I like that a lot.

I think The Committee's approach is correct. The BiG deserved no one in the final four - OSU got creamed once and boinked fairly convincingly at home. Wisky played no one and was quite weak fundamentally last night against a marginal top 10 team. We couldn't get it done (twice) when the opportunity was right in front of us, and our OLine was glaringly suspect all year long. Who else but a one-loss Alabama should be in?

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm

A PSU BIG champ with 1 loss to MSU is assuredly in. It was the OSU game. The MSU game could have been justified by the committee, coming off emotional win in Columbus, bizarre weather delay in East Lansing etc. One point, one stinking point.[/quote]

I guess I didn’t say it correctly. What I meant to say was that with the loss to OSU, even if we beat Michigan St we would have been left out. OSU would still have gone to the Big 10 championship game due to the head to head tiebreaker over us. If we had beaten Mich St and gone 11-1, I still think we would have been ranked no higher than 5th. You are correct, the OSU loss is the one that hurt because it meant we really couldn’t catch them for the division winner at that point.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm hoping that our staff and HC note and adjust for next season but I said that after the Rose Bowl too so the SOS continues to happen. I won't criticize the team and frankly the entire staff did a bang up job of taking a team left for dead by the ncaa and did their best to lead it to unprecedented success as compared to SMU and their death penalty. Remember when our players were encouraged to leave and given a pass on sitting out a year? Not so long ago. We did good folks. Could we have done better? Yes but more likely we could have done much worse over the past five years.

For The Glory of Old State!

WE ARE......

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 am

I just read that New Mexico State is going to its first bowl game since . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . 1960!!! 57 years is a loooong time to wait. It's almost impressive that with the number of bowl games the last many years that they didn't luck into one in some fashion. Anyway, good for them.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 am

I read about that, too. While they're usually not good enough to get a bowl, that's not the only issue for them. Their budget is so limited that they can't afford to travel to a bowl game unless it's local. And their fan base doesn't travel, so if they're obligated by the bowl game to buy X number of tickets, they have to eat the cost, which they can't afford.

They're playing in the Arizona Bowl, which has only been around for a couple of years. Los Cruces is just 4 hours from Tuscon by bus.