Other College Football Games

LioninVa

Re: Other College Football Games

Postby LioninVa » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Probably true, Tempe. Sadly. A friend of mine made a comment about cold in Florida being as common as a BCS title up north. I made a snark about the B1G record in bold and some asshat I never met said that nobody cares about those games. I would have disagreed, but saw no point.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Jerry Garcia wrote:
PSUgrower wrote:I am not watching Championship game on Monday. I am boycotting it. ESPN loves the SEC schools and they own the channel to prove it. Hate SEC! I want 8!!

Just 4 U... :D

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ma-georgia

That was funny. I have been saying 8 teams before they even picked 4. All 5 conference champs get in and then pick 3 wildcards. I don't want to hear about how many more games these kids are playing. How about someone poles the kids and how they feel about playing more games to win a championship. The Divisions 2 champion and runner-up play 15 games and you never hear people/media complain about that. And almost all of those kids are not going pro- just sayin!

I still hate the SEC, PAC 12, Big 12, and ACC. I am an equal hater opportunist!

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Nope.

Keep it four.

Too much football as it is.

And, for the record, think the div 2 kids (whatever the hell they call that league now) play too many games.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:32 pm

We will agree to disagree. Again, the majority of these kids are not going pro. I will assume they would have zero issues playing 15 games a year. Fyi, my sister played rugby in college and had get their own funding every year, drive to games, and the play multiple games in a weekend. Sorry, bdub says NCAA makes zero money off of these games college athletes should talk to their athletic directors on their options and schedules

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:26 am

The argument about the number of games is truly disingenuous. There are four NCAA divisions that play football: Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS, formerly Division I), Football Championship Subdivision (FCS,formerly I-AA), Division II and Division III. The lower three all have playoffs that last several weeks. The number of teams in the playoffs are 24, 28 and 32 respectively. So the issue about students missing class is really a red herring. It's about money and the worry that too many playoff teams will impact the money train for the bowl system as a whole (outside of the small playoff). Plus how many classes do basketball players miss for midweek games? The same could be said for many other sports as well.

Personally though, I wouldn't want want a much bigger playoff for the big boys. I think 6 is actually ok, with the top 2 seeds having a bye. Also, like I said earlier, winning your Power 5 conference should not be an automatic invite to the dance. I could see a 9-4 team winning a conference at some point. But will they really be one of the top 6 or 8 teams in the country? Maybe, maybe not.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:37 am

I'd argue if the playoff field was expanded to 8 or 16 you could probably drop the conference championships (thus you net zero one extra round).

As far as revenue the NCAA doesn't get a take to ticket sales / TV revenue but from locked in previous sponsorship / partnership deals.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 pm

13-0 Dawgs over the Tide at halftime. Tonight, I am a Bulldogs fan.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 am

Why are players leaving Pitt? Seems like an abnormal number.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:24 am

Shore Lion wrote:The argument about the number of games is truly disingenuous. There are four NCAA divisions that play football: Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS, formerly Division I), Football Championship Subdivision (FCS,formerly I-AA), Division II and Division III. The lower three all have playoffs that last several weeks. The number of teams in the playoffs are 24, 28 and 32 respectively. So the issue about students missing class is really a red herring. It's about money and the worry that too many playoff teams will impact the money train for the bowl system as a whole (outside of the small playoff). Plus how many classes do basketball players miss for midweek games? The same could be said for many other sports as well.

Personally though, I wouldn't want want a much bigger playoff for the big boys. I think 6 is actually ok, with the top 2 seeds having a bye. Also, like I said earlier, winning your Power 5 conference should not be an automatic invite to the dance. I could see a 9-4 team winning a conference at some point. But will they really be one of the top 6 or 8 teams in the country? Maybe, maybe not.

I am completely lost on this leaving out a Power 5 champion. What the hell is the purpose of winning your conference if you can't do anything with it? I want it more black and white than it is now. Take all 5 power winners and then debate about next 3 in. PSU should have been in last year because they won the Big 10- plain and simple! Bama would have gotten in this year as a 6, 7, or 8th seed. I absolutely hate 4 teams! UCF should have had their plate at the table to at least see what would happen.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:22 am

That doesn't surprise me at all.