Other College Football Games

Shore Lion

Re: Other College Football Games

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 pm

I love this: aTm plans to fire Kevin Sumlin. Everyone knows it. They know it. He knows it. But it hasn't happened yet. If they fire him they owe him 10 million payable within 60 days. If he takes another job before he is fired, he loses that obviously. But the contract apparently has no provision that allows a school that hires Sumlin to pay for part of the buyout. So they're playing chicken. Sumlin won't quit and they haven't fired him yet because the word is that they want Jimbo Fisher from FSU and he still has a game to coach this week so they can't talk to him. I think it's all hilarious.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Why would Fisher leave FSU for A&M?

Is he rumored to be getting fired by FSU? Can't imagine FSU isn't paying him enough. Wouldn't make sense to go a tougher conference where you're school / region doesn't have a recruiting advantage to coach at a school that is firing a guy with a winning record.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:10 pm

sameoldlama wrote:Why would Fisher leave FSU for A&M?

Is he rumored to be getting fired by FSU? Can't imagine FSU isn't paying him enough. Wouldn't make sense to go a tougher conference where you're school / region doesn't have a recruiting advantage to coach at a school that is firing a guy with a winning record.

FSU is pressuring Jimbo to make up his mind. Problem is they still have a game this weekend. But it sounds like he's gone.

And WTF is Arizona State doing? Hiring Herm Edwards. That will work out about as well as the Lovie Smith hire at Illinois.

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Not sure why a talking head at ESPN would leave a well paying gig to coach college football. He just signed up for a lot of travel and headaches that he didn't have while being an analyst. Its the same thought I have every time John Gruden's name is brought up for a college job. Why in the world would he sign up for that?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Some recent texts:

UT AD to ASU AD : "Thanks for taking dunce cap from me"

Matt Millen to Herm Edwards : "Don't do it man"

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Jimbo Fisher has officially resigned from FSU and is taking the Texas A&M job. Im' going to add this to the list of things that do not make any sense to me.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:36 pm

Reports are old Jimbo is getting $7.5MM for 10 years (that's right 10 years). Makes sense now.

I don't understand why A&M thinks he's going to come into that division and set the world on fire.

And someone please remind me why players have to sit out a year if they want to go somewhere else.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:12 pm

I wonder if any of the FSU alumni that pushed old Bobby out the door regret their actions. Not saying Bobby would've done better - Jimbo won a NC afterall - but really, he certainly didn't exactly cover himself in glory during his tenure in Tallahassee, and the character of his players weren't appreciably better than the folks Bobby brought in.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:02 pm

And someone please remind me why players have to sit out a year if they want to go somewhere else.

For the same reason a coach can leave a program in a shambles facing sanctions, loss of scholarships and no bowl eligibility and take a job at another school the next day while his players are stuck on the sinking ship with no means of getting off - because the NCAA and Emert are all about the integrity of college athletics.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:50 am

sameoldlama wrote:And someone please remind me why players have to sit out a year if they want to go somewhere else.

Oh no, not in all cases. I seem to remember an incident, oh...2011-2012?, in which the NCAA was involved in a criminal case in which it allowed, and even encouraged, players to immediately transfer out from that particular university. Anyone else recall that?

:evil: :roll: