Other College Football Games

Underlion

Re: Other College Football Games

Postby Underlion » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Shane wrote:And if you expand to 8 playoff teams, the top 4 seeds should get home games. Could you imagine an SEC or ACC team having to come north of the Mason Dixon line in December?

Yes it would be very entertaining ... and fair. The Big 10 Commissioner should be promoting this. Minimally the Pin Stripe Bowl should get a first round game :-)

A few ACC teams...the typically non competitive ones could play in the cold. Some PAC10 teams would manage OK.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Really not interested in expanding the format beyond what is currently constituted, despite the shaft we got in 2016. It's going to happen, though, I'm sure.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Sorry the argument varies by year and one thing is for certain, The SEC West gets a spot. Why don't we just give AL the bye and we'll pick 4 teams to play for the honor of playing AL.

This actually makes sense, as long as Saban is there winning 90% of his games year upon year upon year. There hasn't been a year since '07 that your formula wouldn't have worked. And yes, having 18 five-star players - some of which were injured during the season - strongly supports a subjective argument for being included, all other things evening out. Unpopular? Hell yes. But 'lame?' No.

Listen, I'm not even close to a fan of ESPN and its methods. I watch their games and nothing else. If they ditched CFB I'd lose track of what channel they are on my dish. And PSU is not in any kind of sweet spot for getting favors related to its CFP standing (btw, I'll blame a lot of that on joining the Big Ten - a decision that horrified me 25 years ago, and one that still rankles). But the situation is what it is, and the facts bear out that the SEC elite consistently performs pretty darn well on the biggest stages.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:15 am

Didn't want to start another thread but RichRod was fired at Arizona because of allegations of sexual harassment. What is interesting is that the woman who made the complaint then hired an attorney and refused to cooperate in the investigation. But apparently they found enough to get rid of him anyway. He admitted he was doing her but says there was no harassment. Never been a fan of the guy and he obviously is sleazy but man, these days if you're accused you're pretty much toast no matter what I guess.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:42 am

He admitted he was doing her but says there was no harassment.

Please tell me those were the actual words he used to defend himself.

But, I take your point. If he's having a consensual relationship with someone, how is that harassment?

I just googled this and found a link on the story. Seems this was his admin. I guess, as a general rule, when you start having sex with your admin and she later complains, it's a safe default position that there was harassment involved. But, there should still be a standard of proof involved. If the woman was unwilling to turn over any of the correspondence she says proved she was harassed (which, from what I read, she is unwilling to do) or cooperate with the investigation, then how can they fire him for harassment?

I'm with Shore - I have no problem believing Rodriguez is a sleazy guy but the idea that a mere accusation that the accuser is unwilling to provide any details or evidence about should not get you fired. Perhaps AZ has more evidence and they are just not making it public, but, on its face ,this sounds ridiculous.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:07 am

I believe the story goes he was having an affair but not with complaintant. UA investigated and as stated the complaining employee has lawyered up, sued and refused to cooperate with investigation. Their statement is they could not substantiate her claims but discovered others actions which led to his dismissal. Her contention is he created a hostile work environment (temper tantrums, inappropriate language, getting people to cover for his affair). The affair was supposedly with someone outside the University and he's already admitted it to his wife.

Let's be honest - he got fired for his 43-35 record. He's getting a $6MM buyout. If you have legal backing to fire for cause (sexual harassment) you don't send said employee of with $6MM.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:31 am

In any case, I still miss Oldlioness calling him "DickRod." :D

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am

sameoldlama wrote:I believe the story goes he was having an affair but not with complaintant. UA investigated and as stated the complaining employee has lawyered up, sued and refused to cooperate with investigation. Their statement is they could not substantiate her claims but discovered others actions which led to his dismissal. Her contention is he created a hostile work environment (temper tantrums, inappropriate language, getting people to cover for his affair). The affair was supposedly with someone outside the University and he's already admitted it to his wife.

Let's be honest - he got fired for his 43-35 record. He's getting a $6MM buyout. If you have legal backing to fire for cause (sexual harassment) you don't send said employee of with $6MM.

Ok, that makes more sense. And, agree with your last point 100% - the bigger issue was his w/l record. As for the buyout, they may have had little choice. That's the advantage of being employed under a contract vs. being an at-will employee.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Most of you know how ESPN pushes there agenda where the SEC runs the college football world. As many of you know, I love listening to Le Batard, and his boys are railing against that SEC train! They think they UCF should win the national championship and that the game on Monday night is bogus. Great radio if you get a chance to listen!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:35 am

Well they are wrong about awarding UCF the national championship but it is a shame they didn't have an opportunity to even compete for it. That's my real beef about the current system, half the schools in the NCAA are eliminated before the season even starts.