Other College Football Games

Blue&White

Re: Other College Football Games

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:35 am

Given the amount of money involved, and how rigged the playoffs are against half the field, I'll be surprised if there is no litigation over this at some point. Anti-trust or something along those lines.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:12 am

I don't sympathize with the "rigged" part of this discussion, against 'half the field.' The truth is, half the field - actually more like 2/3 or 3/4 of the field doesn't play the game at the NC level and has no intention or means to do so. I'm not saying that's a bad thing - New Mexico State football (for example) is NMS football. Probably enjoyed by the players, students and community, as it should be. UCF this year is a total fluke...who would you kick out of the final four to shoehorn them in? As most of us have said at one time or another, someone's going to be unhappy about being left out. If a UCF wants in, and thinks its program is there, let them schedule someone (or two) that gets national attention. And as much as I despise ESPN (more about its non-sports politics than its love for specific CFB programs and conferences), they simply want ratings, ratings, ratings. And that's ok, they're in it for profits - a good thing. If ESPN truly is the puppetmaster here and the SEC is their one true love - besides OSU of course - can anyone say they made bad choices? Were Oklahoma and Clemson not legitimate opponents and came up short?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:19 am

I don't think the problem is that UCF didn't get a shot. I think the problem is UCF couldn't get a shot. From the day the season started it was pretty much predetermined that UCF was not going to get a chance to play in the playoffs. That's where the problem is.

I'm sure the powers-that-be would say that my assessment is wrong and of course UCF had a shot to play in the post season, but the way this thing has been set up they really didn't.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:33 am

I agree that this year they couldn't get a shot. The only way to get them in (same with next year's UCF) is to expand the playoff. Speaking more to grower's rant - I don't think ESPN had anything significant to do with the anyone's exclusion, including PSU's last year. PSU is a ratings magnet, especially playing the brand of football we're now playing. And when someone demonstrates that SEC football is marginally inferior and doesn't deserve its perennial stature, well then I'll listen. Southern demographics are simply the current boss in CFB, whether we like it or not.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:43 pm

And UCF beat an Auburn team that beat both Alabama and Georgia

tempe

Postby tempe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:16 pm

geesh Grower - that is a good point. But Auburn was just a fluke - right! The system sucks - there is no excuse outside the obvious concerns of money and rating. Penn State had similar problems trying to break in with the "Big Boys." Joe talked about it - wrote about it. The National Championship is "just pretend" and always has been.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:24 pm

I am not watching Championship game on Monday. I am boycotting it. ESPN loves the SEC schools and they own the channel to prove it. Hate SEC! I want 8!!

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 am

PSUgrower wrote:I am not watching Championship game on Monday. I am boycotting it. ESPN loves the SEC schools and they own the channel to prove it. Hate SEC! I want 8!!

Just 4 U... :D

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ma-georgia

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:27 am

Part of the problem is that they rank team way too early. I mean, there are rankings for next year and teams don’t even have all their recruits signed yet. The first few weeks have so many warm up games, and the Special Ed Conference seems to want puff games a week befor a rivalry that other conferences don’t really allow. At the very least, the AP and Coaches Polls should not release ranking for the first month or so. Maybe start them in October. This may have helped UCF get a more deserving slot.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:59 pm

"may have helped" key language there. "They" could withhold rankings until week fifteen and UCF still would not make the cut. There is just no money in that game.