Other College Football Games

Crowbar

Re: Other College Football Games

Postby Crowbar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:35 am

Yeah, I watched that track meet disguised as a football game too. The under-over was 85. They passed that before the end of the third quarter.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:42 am

High scoring will soon be the face of football in both college and the nfl. Rule changes and desire will make it so. I listened to some show - probably npr of all things - that explained how the good old D wins super bowls is becoming bygone. Owners did the same in the nba. People want to see scoring - lots of it. nfl ratings are waning - high flying arena style (money hopes) will bring it back. There was an article in the times or post about the top rated? running-back changing positions. They will probably dump pads in the future for velcro and team colored sissy strips dangling from their hips. (massive marketing opportunity there) A lot of people scream - "that's not football!" But owners, players, and really - according to surveys - fans want the game more exciting. So get out there and score score score away.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:00 am

They are trying to do the same thing to baseball. Fences moving in, juiced balls, etc. And, I predict they outlaw the shift and require fielders to play at their actual position as that will increase offense as well.

Anyway, if you've not seen it, I recommend that you do not go watch the video of UCF QB McKenzie Milton's knee twisting the wrong way. It is pretty gruesome. The kids that run to him first just turn and look the other way. It was pretty bad. The announcers are saying he's probably out for the year but I don't see how he comes back from an injury like that at all.
Is it baseball season yet?

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:22 am

Yes, while we have replay, it seems the officiating has more and more influence on games.

Move the kick back to get more runbacks but then let them fair catch inside the 10 to gett he ball on the 25. With the probability of a block in the back why return a kickoff except at the end of the half?

Virginia seemed to get robbed on a fumble call that would have made a difference in the game. Review didn't change it.

I watch a high scoring game and I can't figure out why. What are the officials doing different in the B12? Maybe I see more picks and interference calls. Everybody acts like the B12 doesn't play defense but that argument makes no sense.

Playing defense must be frustrating:
-Don't touch the quarter back high or low, or after 0.5 seconds from pass release.
-Don't touch the QB within 2 yards of the boundary.
-Best bet when dealing with a QB is hug him or go for the strip.
-If the ball carrier lowers his head you must keep yours up
-Receiver may push off with one hand while catching the ball with the other. You can not touch the receiver only the ball.
-NBA pick rules, offense can do anythjjng but hold...for more than a second.
-When QB's slide they get the benefit of the phantom double play...they meant to get the first down. Except McSorely against UM.
-Offense gets to pick the ball. Kicking balls, punting balls, running balls, throwing balls, warm dry balls.
-They must be allowing more offensive line holding.
-Probably should outlaw the zone defense and allow NBA picks on defensive backs.
-Maybe the defense needs to have 9 guys within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage or it is a procedure call.
-The on sides kick rule is silly, does it really matter if 10 guys are trying to kill me or one. Only one or two of the fastest hardest hitters can get to me anyways.
-what can you do with regards to the long snapper on kicks?

It stinks to be a defensive back

QB's should have a special shirt with a 'strike zone'. You may only touch him between the belt and the arm pits

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:23 pm

For many reasons I am less into football, both college and NFL, than I used to be. The hyper focus on offense and the penalizing of most defensive play is part of the reason. I find the modern game, with flags being thrown at least every 3rd play, nearly unwatchable. Every time a team has a 3rd and long all they have to do is throw the deep ball as the most likely outcomes are the ball is caught or, far more likely, a flag is thrown for pass interference. It really seems that, at least in the NFL, the only time that flag isn't thrown is when the QB just completely misses the receiver. But, if it's close, out comes the flag.

There is no "right" or "wrong" to this as all the rules are made up. The leagues can tweak the rules however they want. But, it's no longer the game I grew up watching and have watched for most of my life. Football today is radically different than football from even 5 years ago. The rule changes for player safety don't bother me. But, the idea that no one could tell us what a completion was for 2 NFL seasons was beyond ridiculous.

There are other reasons I'm less interested in football these days, but the product on the field is doing nothing to win me back.
Is it baseball season yet?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:27 pm

After much thought, I am officially happy with this beat down of the skunkerines. Nice to watch Harbaugh poop his pants. Can't wait for the fan blowback.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:40 pm

OSU UM - So much for payback tour. Evidently Wolverines don't travel well. How can OSU look so good against one and so bad against the other.

Anyone less consistent than OSU?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:48 pm

They must be allowing more offensive line holding.

Back in the day, whenever you saw an OL posing for a photo, they always had their hands in a fist. You weren't allowed to use your hands when blocking, so OL kept them in a fist to avoid getting called for it. Now, you can grab two hands full of jersey and hold on, as long as you keep the DL in front of you. If he beats you and you grab him on the way by, you may get called. But that's it.

At some point years ago they changed the rule to allow use of an open hand in blocking (but no grasping). But at some later point the league obviously instructed the refs to ignore the grasping part of the rule.

Klaatu barada nikto

Shane

Postby Shane » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Don’t feel too bad for Michigan, they were able to make that next step this year and finish 2nd in the division of the Big 10.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:28 pm

That game was glorious. After some traveling to games it became clear to me Wolverines are way more annoying and arrogant than Buck fans. And I remember their taunting from earlier this year. So they are now my most hated team. Just annoys me that Urban took a knee at the end instead of going for 70...