Nebraska Pregame

Shane

Re: Nebraska Pregame

Postby Shane » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Its still a lot of speculation at this point, but I don't want to see the Domers. We've had trouble defending mildly elusive QB's, cant imagine how many yards Wimbush would run for against us. Now his passing isn't good and we could load up against the run, just don't like the matchup.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:59 pm

I approach B1G Saturdays with caution most weeks. I didn't last week and got nervous in the 1st quarter... I don't see a similar start, but one never knows! I expect, at the end, that this game is not close. I hope it isn't close after the first drive or two!

I don't have a preference regarding opponent or bowl bid, really. I am just hopeful the extra month or practice for the team. And the exposure of another game, I suppose. I would love to see a good, close, hard fought game with us winning at the end (Maybe like FSU in the Orange Bowl way back when) or an absolute blow out of a strong team rated equal or higher than us. Either one will work for me.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Yes, an entirely forgettable game in a mediocre season. One thing I remember is that Clemson had a defensive lineman named Eddie "Meat" Cleaver who lived in our backfield all afternoon.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Nittany Flier

Postby Nittany Flier » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Nebraska is 4-6 and needs 2 wins to go to a bowl. I expect them to put up a fight for a half. PSU is more talented and should put the away in the 3rd quarter.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:38 am

Fwiw, PSU is #10 in the playoff rankings. I think that is accurate. It also sets them up for a nice bowl game if they finish 10-2.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 am

If they can win out and win bowl game they could be a position for a Top 5 finish

Auburn - Bama play regular season
UGA - Bama - Auburn - one team picks up a loss in the SEC championship
UM - Clemson will play in ACC Championship
OSU - UW will play in B1? Championship

OSU and UW both play Michigan yet so possible loss there

Throw in bowl games and there are likely 8 Ls still to get pinned on teams above PSU. So if PSU draws a 5-9 bowl opponent and wins it would be big for the program.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 am

The worst case would be New Year's 6 and getting matched up with UCF. But I don't like this counting chickens before they're hatched. Nebraska and Maryland both have absolutely nothing to lose. I expect them to come out firing. Especially Maryland.

JerseyLion

Postby JerseyLion » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 am

Huskers gave up over 400 yards rushing to Minnesota.

It will be an absolute disgrace if Barkley doesn't go for 150+ on Saturday.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 am

Statistically this is actually Barkley's worst year - and I don't think the OL is worse than last two years - it just goes to show impact of opponents focusing on him.

McS will end up owning every PSU passing record. Barkley holds all purpose yards / Rush TDs. If he has 3 insane final games he could get rushing record. If he has a fit on insanity and comes back next year he will own every PSU offensive record (outside of passing / receiving) forever.

Good PSU stat database
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... enn-state/

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:41 pm

You gotta love this one:

Jon Johnston, Corn Nation

I was with a number of college buddies in a dorm room at the University of Nebraska watching Mike McCloskey catch that pass (out of bounds!) in ’82. Nebraska and Penn State have had some great games over the years, but this will not be one of them. I can say without reservation that this is the worst Husker team I’ve seen in my lifetime; most Nebraska fans are just waiting for the season to be over while hoping for the least possible amount of embarrassment in the last two games.

PLAYER(S) ON THE SPOT: Backup quarterback Patrick O’Brien. As of this writing, starting quarterback Tanner Lee is in concussion protocol. O’Brien hasn’t played much, and it is incumbent on Nebraska’s offense to gain first downs, run some clock, and keep Penn State from scoring at will against a defense that gave up over 400 yards rushing to a mediocre Minnesota team last week. You hate to put everything on the shoulders of one guy, but that’s the way it’ll go this week.

DON’T BE SURPRISED IF … this game is over by the middle of the first quarter and Saquon Barkley sets the single game NCAA rushing record.

PREDICTION: Nebraska Pain. I consider myself an eternal optimist when it comes to Husker football, but I have little hope about this game. I would love to be wrong, but my blunt impression is that James Franklin’s team could rack up 80 points this weekend if he so desires. Prediction: Worst loss in Nebraska football history: Penn State 84, Nebraska 7.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!