Penn State Hoops.

LioninVa

Re: Penn State Hoops.

Postby LioninVa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Nice! It was fun and I’m glad I have good earplugs. I found myself worrying about some of the smaller girls as we were up close enough that my son high fived the bass player and the pit spilled into us a few times.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Dude, if it's too loud, you're too old.

My wife and I still go to a lot of concerts, although I'm a bit old for mosh pits. We're starting to plan our summer music right now. We're seeing the Foo Fighters in July and in mid August we are flying out to Seattle to see 2 Pearl Jam shows. I turn 50 next January so the big excursion to Seattle is my 50th birthday present/trip. Between airfare, hotel, food, tickets, it's a $3,000 week (we're going for 5 1/2 days).

Not sure who else we are going to see. Have to see who is coming around. I was looking at tickets for the Smashing Pumpkins earlier today but I'm not paying $500 to sit in the back of Wells Fargo. I like the Pumpkins but not that much. And, I hear they aren't great live.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Having spent 20 years in Navy music, some of that in rock oriented groups and full blown big bands, I know my limit when it comes to my hearing. The canoe club fits all of us for custom ear plugs that kind of look like the in ear monitors the top acts have, so it wasn’t like I had orange tampons in my ears. And, I was five feet from the speaker stack! But I get your point and sufficiently embarrassed my boy...

As for concerts, the wife and I go to a few each summer, usually of the Jurassic Rock nature. Saw Journey, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, Boston, well... you get the picture. REO Speedwagon is coming with band, maybe Def Leopard and we may grab lawn seats for that. But I expect there will be other shows of interest so time will tell.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:21 pm

I saw Joan Jett open for The Who on their 50th anniversary tour a few years ago. She was fantastic.

The Who, on the other hand, convinced me never to pay money to see another classic rock band again.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Agreed. She opened for Boston last summer. I liked that, after the first few songs, she said, “we are The Blackearts” when talking to the crowd. I thought that was unusually humble. They were far better than Boston, I think.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:13 pm

They were far better than Boston, I think.

Brad Delp died more than 10 years before you saw that show. You didn't see Boston. You saw a Boston tribute band.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 pm

I suppose that's an accurate statement. I assume Tom Scholz retained the name and their set was pretty much the Tom Scholz show. The cat singing lead had little stage presence and the woman on keys would sing the high stuff. I was a big fan when I was a kid and hoped for better but my wife bought the tickets to see Joan Nett and we left early.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 am

Chicago is one group guaranteed to provide a great, live performance. Yes, they're old, but several of the founding members were still active the last time I checked. I've always loved Chicago's particular fusion of rock and jazz. Unfortunately, some of my younger colleagues did not appreciate them as much. About ten years ago or so, the company I worked for held the national meeting in Chicago. The brother of founding member James Pankow worked for the company at that time and arranged for Chicago to perform a free concert for us. Some of my younger colleagues had never heard of Chicago, the band, so I told them to sit tight because they were in for a treat. Four or five songs into the concert, the youngsters were starting to become restless. One of them leaned over and asked me when this was going to get interesting. After a few more songs, the young and the restless began to filter out and as one of them passed by me, he said "nice recommendation". About midway through the concert, a crowd of around 3,000 had dwindled to less then half that number, much to my disappointment and embarrassment because the boys were rockin'. They closed the show by playing the entire A side of the Chicago Transit Authority album, and they played it as if it were still fresh to them, knocking it outta the park the same way they did when I saw them for the first time in 1971. Whoever said youth is wasted on the young knew what they were talking about.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 am

If you promise me they won't do anything from post 1982, I'll be happy to go see Chicago with you.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:32 am

Being a sax player, Chicago has always been a favorite of mine and we have seen them many times, once when the wife was 8 months pregnant yet standing on her chair (she is vertically impaired) and the sound guy was more concerned with her than his job. They toured with Earth, Wind and Fire for a few years and that was a kick ass show. Look for it on video, or they R&R Hall of Fame induction a few years ago if you like them, you won’t be disappointed! Rob Thomas inducted them and he said something like “if you think this is your mothers rock and roll band, then I want to party with your mother!”

Chicago is the band coming with REO, now that I’m thinking about it.

Also, sorry for hijacking the hoops thread. That wasn’t my intention.