Penn State Hoops.

pennstate92

Penn State Hoops.

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Hey, don't look now but we've got a hoops team that actually makes, well, you know, hoops.

Guys look good so far, even with two of their best players out with minor injuries. Should at least be in the discussion for the dance this year, although the tourney starting Monday will give us a bit more insight into how much they've progressed.

It's an important year for Pat Chambers too. No post-season, and I think he's gone. Make the post-season and I think he wraps up a shiny new extension.

Looks like the Lady Lions are pretty good as well.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Crowbar

Re: Penn State Hoops.

Postby Crowbar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:12 am

I hope they have a great season. I really like Pat Chambers and I hope his persistence pays off, finally.

Shane

Postby Shane » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:23 am

This is a big year for Chambers. He’s got some players and they aren’t young anymore. Chambers is kind of up and down with his X’s and O’s, but they have always played hard and competed regardless of opponent.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:59 am

Hoping they do well, its early and a long season is ahead but four consecutive wins is a great start and they all count when the seeding are set for the big dance. I didn't heat the ladies team is better but its been a long wait for them so I also hope they can put a good season together.

JerseyLion

Postby JerseyLion » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 am

There was a small interview with Chambers during the BTN Tailgate show on Saturday. A caption under his image said that we have had 4 straight 15-win seasons, the first such stretch as a B1G member.

Not sure if that is more gradual improvement or an indictment of basketball's unimportance at Dear Old State, but definitely found it surprising.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:11 am

I may be a little bit more cynical about the PSU BBall program - their 4-0 record to date isn't exactly built on a powerhouse schedule (Campbell, Farleigh Dickinson, Columbia ...) and that's how they have cobbled these 15 win seasons together - horrific OOC scheduling. The only legit OOC games they have this year are Pitt and NC State (part of B1? ACC challenge so they had to do that one) and you can throw in George Mason.

CPC is 91-109 overall at PSU and 29-78 in the B1? (that is really bad folks) and has never finished above 10th in B1?. They haven't even made the NIT in his six years. I do believe he did get an extension just a couple years ago and I don't see PSU buying him out because they simply don't support basketball enough to do that and who is begging to come and replace him that would be any better? Besides that his players stay out of the police log and clearly PSU will not be mentioned in that federal indictment accusing schools of facilitating paying players.

Better to admit our situation and just adopt Nova as our basketball team.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 am

sameoldlama wrote:Better to admit our situation and just adopt Nova as our basketball team.

The PSU hoops history is pretty amusing/amazing. The first 20 years through WWI (with no coach!) we were 131-65-1, pretty impressive. I would have like to see how the tie came about. The first 9 coaches, ending with Bruce Parkhill's reign in 1995, all had winning records. The last 3 guys (Dunn, DeChellis and Chambers) have basically been horrible, going a combined 115-260 in the BiG, with each guy being worse than the previous coach.

The solution is obviously...get rid of Chambers. And then don't hire anyone.

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:58 am

The thing to note about the winning records stopping in 1995, that's when PSU joined the Big 10. It was much easier to finish over .500 while competing in the Atlantic 10.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Just crushed Pitt. Doug Gottlieb just tweeted Penn State beating up on Akron again. This time in hoops.

LOL.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Shane

Postby Shane » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 am

Big game today with Texas A & M. They were an NCAA tourney team last year and should be pretty good again this year. If PSU wins that one, they could actually be ranked in the top 25 next week.