Penn State Hoops.

Jerry Garcia

Re: Penn State Hoops.

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:40 pm

I happened upon the PSU-Nebraska game at BJC last night with around 6 minutes left in the game. Oddly enough, the score was 56-44 at the time, same score as this year's Nebraska football game. In classic PSU hoopstyle, we squandered the lead with a combination of loose passes, sloppy turnovers, poor shot selection, and disheveled defense (in all fairness it didn't help that NU was draining a string of absurd 3's). Players seemed confused and leaderless, Chambers looking like a deer in the headlights. It went into OT with the Lions saving themselves a lot of embarrassment by barely salvaging the win. This season might be the end of the line for Coach Chambers - we won't come close to making the Big Dance, once again. Individually it's easy to see the talent he's recruited, but there is no evidence to me that Chamber is making the whole any better than the sum of the parts. Discouraging.

OTOH, I kept BTN on and here come the wrestlers at #4 Michigan. Boom, boom, boom - five consecutive PSU nat'l champs pound five (highly-ranked) wolvies. Nice way to end the evening - PSU 25, UM 12 in Ann Arbor.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 am

I was sympathetic to Chambers given he was given a big pile of steaming horse pooh that he had to fight through for the first 3 years of his tenure after DeChellis left. But it's patently obvious that he isn't a good tactical coach, and that's costing him games. Losing to Rider, to me, was a fire-able offense. Then they lost to MD in a game they led for most of the way.

When you have talents like Carr, Watkins and Stevens, all in their second year...well, let's just say I suspect Chambers is under the microscope.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:33 am

#Emmertknew

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Women's Hoops - we have to be disappointed at the results since Portland resignation/firing/downsizing?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:53 am

Anyone see Tony Carr's 3-pt buzzer beater in Columbus? Ah, the joy of seeing an arena full of crestfallen suckeye fans.... :twisted:

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:26 am

Caught game on B1? Network - PSU knocked down 5 treys to start game and led by 5-10 points most of game. OSU made a furious rally in the last two minutes capped by OSU's star player dropping a long 3 to tie it with 5 secs - while OSU was celebrating and lazing it back planning for OT Carr banks a three from abut 5-7 ft behind the arc at buzzer.

Silence (game was at OSU).

Significant win over a ranked team - and would have hurt if they had blown a game long lead.

chas

Postby chas » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:38 am

The Chambers era has been very frustrating.

He has recruited well, showing that you can get players to State College. I never doubted that, but we have proof positive of that with this squad he has brought to SC.

Then we have the results of this year. Troublesome, to say the least. Losses to teams they have no business losing to, giving up wins over good teams in the last two minutes, putting up a record that will require a miracle for them to get into the NCAA playoffs.

I would give him one more year. To get another contract next year he will have to have, 1. An upper division regular season record in the B1G, 2. A competitive showing in the BIG playoffs, 3. An appearance in the NCAAs. Miss any of those and he has to go.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 am

The Chambers era frustration was on BTN last night - they were poised for a second big road win at MSU and were leading by 11 with 15 mins left in game - 10 minutes later they were down by 10. They made a run in last 2 mins but came up short.

Believe they are 5-6 now in B1? and 15-9 overall. Given their week OOC schedule I'd say they need 5 more regular season wins and two B1? tourney wins to see NCAA. 3-4 total wins should land them an NIT bid

Nittany Flier

Postby Nittany Flier » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:44 am

Late game collapses has become a common theme at PSU. Imo there is not enough depth on the team and they tire toward the end of games.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:37 pm

You know, I don't ever expect Penn State's Men's basketball team to resemble Duke or Kansas. But going to the Big Dance more than once a decade would be nice. Just give us a nice team that gives us something to look forward to until the Blue White Game.
41-33.