Nebraska In Game

Jerry Garcia

Re: Nebraska In Game

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 am

Man. I'm just sitting here reflecting on Saquon Barkley's career and the type of guy he is, and the timing of his arrival when PSU was so down in the dumps...if you're a CFB fan (check) and the guy plays for your team (check)...it just doesn't get much better than SB. Two (yes, 2) more games to enjoy watching him wear the blue and white. I hope he runs for 500 in those games...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:48 am

And I hope after that he's a New York Giant so I can keep watching him regularly.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:51 am

The Good
... beating Nebraska is always good even if their national profile is down - I would put OSU, UMich, UMia, ND, Pitt in that category also
... nice to see SB get loose after several frustrating games - one record still in reach - all time rushing yards - needs 262 in last two games
... nice to see Gesecki get the TE record
... nice to see Gilliken drop is last punt in Beaver Stadium on the 3 yard line - guy has been phenomenal this year
... nice to see Franklin unload the bench and let a lot of guys get on the field - valuing that over style points on senior day says a lot to the players and parents

The Bad
... Pass D has fallen off a cliff - minus the RU game (and RU has no pass game whatsoever) PSU has given up over 1100 yards passing - in last 4 games they have 1 INT
... Another game with too many penalties
... D just not generating TOs - aside from lack of INTs not generating fumbles - that's what's leaving them on the field to long, too often
... If teams are going to avoid kicking to SB maybe we should put a RB, WR, DB at 20 instead of LBs.

Still seems the team hasn't gotten over the missed opportunities of OSU and MSU. They can play a similar game to last two weeks and get by MD but they need the clean up the "Bad" stuff or they will be getting bounced in the bowl game.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:49 am

Pass D has fallen off a cliff

Most noticeably, the pass rush. When the opposing QB is legitimate and they're not uncomfortable in the pocket, bad things will happen. The OSU game was lost the because the OSU defense harassed McSorley down the stretch and the PSU defense didn't reciprocate.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:03 pm

sameoldlama wrote:The Bad
... Pass D has fallen off a cliff - minus the RU game (and RU has no pass game whatsoever) PSU has given up over 1100 yards passing - in last 4 games they have 1 INT
... Another game with too many penalties
... D just not generating TOs - aside from lack of INTs not generating fumbles - that's what's leaving them on the field to long, too often
... If teams are going to avoid kicking to SB maybe we should put a RB, WR, DB at 20 instead of LBs.

Still seems the team hasn't gotten over the missed opportunities of OSU and MSU. They can play a similar game to last two weeks and get by MD but they need the clean up the "Bad" stuff or they will be getting bounced in the bowl game.

Couple other things here - our blitz schemes have killed us for the past month. No sacks and barely any hurries make coverage impossible, plus the fact that OSU, MSU and Nebraska's (2nd half) qb's were lasered in like they haven't been against anyone else this year - buzzsaws. And, I haven't counted the picks that we've dropped since OSU, but it's quite a few. TO's can turn a close game into a 3-4 TD victory (or loss into a win), and we've gone from a big TO team to a no TO team late this year. Another item - KO coverage was lousy yesterday & with Bowen and Irv Charles not being present, we were giving them 12-15 yds extra every kickoff. That obviously adds up over the course of a game.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:52 pm

Blue&White wrote:And I hope after that he's a New York Giant so I can keep watching him regularly.

Can I get an 'Amen, Hallelujah!' from the chorus.

"Amen, Hallelujah!"
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.