Moorehead to Mississippi State

Shore Lion

Re: Moorehead to Mississippi State

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:54 am

PSU might not win 10 games next year but I don't think it's going to be a huge step back. Agree with the others, the player losses are big, particularly early in the season. And not just on offense but defense is actually what concerns me more. But you know what? Franklin has done some pretty good things in 4 years and the talent pipeline is working so I will choose to remain optimistic.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:07 am

I find it really difficult to worry about things in 2018, when it hasn't even happened yet.

One of CJF's strengths is his recruiting ability - that includes coaches. I'm not sure this is worth losing sleep over, and while I don't expect a fullback in the backfield, I do expect the next coach to do a better job game planning for success at running back.

Morehead was the second coming of Albert Einstein...when compared to Donovan. We'll see if that translates to the SEC. As for us, I believe our offensive line will be a strength next year, which will offset some of the losses in personnel.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 am

The nature of college football is every team has to retool and play younger, untested kids at some point. It's a constant cycle that every team - except Alabama - has to go through. I'm really not worried. Franklin has built a solid pipeline, and the kids coming up on offense all look really good. I think the biggest loss is going to be Gesicki. Sanders looks like he can step in for Barkley and we won't lose as much as you may think (no one can fully replace Barkley, that kid is magic). The Oline should be a better. We loose some good receivers, but Juwan Johnson should only get better and DeAndre Thompkins is back too (most likely - I think he's draft eligible but doubt he goes).

Our offense should be ok. On D, not sure. We'll see. I'm not worrying about it until there is something to worry about. Franklin has proven himself the past 2 years. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt both on bringing up new kids and on replacing Moorehead.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:31 am

The more I think about it I think it will be difficult for Moorhead to stay through the bowl game. There is the early-signing period now and you'd think he'd definitely want to be shoring up any commitments prior to that. I also wonder if he might take anyone from the current staff at PSU. Probably not too likely because he doesn't have a lot of history with most of them but you never know.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 am

I assume he's not sticking around for the bowl game. He has to get busy to secure recruits, meet his team, etc. Once you give notice, you are mentally checked out anyway.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:15 am

Like I mentioned before, I think we will see Ricky Rahne as Offensive Coordinator for the bowl game and maybe an internal move up. He has had 2 solid years to learn Moorehead's offense.

Ricky Rahne

The current Penn State tight ends coach and onetime quarterbacks coach and interim offensive coordinator is going to be a hot name at the start of the search, and with good reason: He's versatile, having coached just about every position on offense over the course of his career, and has been with Franklin for a long time.

He also has shared his aspirations to one day be a coordinator, but he does not want to be a head coach, and thus he probably isn't going to go anywhere like Moorhead did if promoted.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:32 am

I'm ok with giving Rhane the opportunity. Promoting from within builds loyalty.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:23 am

Alright, so here are some of my expanded thoughts:

My Penn State fandom began in earnest in the fall of 1999. In that time frame I've never experienced a Penn State team that reloads rather than rebuilds and that means player AND coaching turnover. When you combine that reality with my natural pessimistic swing, it makes looking forward more daunting and makes the close misses all the more agonizing.

I'm hoping to see Penn State under James Franklin be at a point where the talent and coaching pipelines are such that departures of major contributors are just a small bump in the road, but the flip side of that is that if those contributions are so special as to stand out as generational (i.e. Barkley) then the loss of those are magnified that much more.

That is what lead to my assessment that we will see a major regression over the next year or so.

Also, regarding Brent Pry, everyone seemed to look at his takeover of the defense as just another link in the chain and that there would be no falloff. I'd contend that the last two years have been only OK defensively. When it comes to stopping actual living breathing offenses (i.e. Michigan and USC in 2016 and OSU and MSU in 2017) we have seen our defense get absolutely demolished/picked apart.

I'm hoping for the seamless transition that so many in Nittany Nation seem to be predicting, I'm just not confident at all (based on my actual experiences as a PSU fan) that we are at that place yet. I'd be ecstatic to be proved wrong.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:42 am

That's fair enough, Nat. We geriatrics from the 60'-80's PSU fandom were used to reloading, and maybe have retained a tiny bit of that DNA despite the past couple of decades. My assessment of Pry is that he oversees player development very well, at least better than most, but that his strategy/tactical work needs improvement. True, we got picked apart by OSU and MSU this year. Both seemed to be examples of career games by pretty good QBs and that was unfortunate that our number came up when those two decided to be superstars-for-a-day. But you are right in that Pry had no answer and his repeated blitzes weren't effective - a fact apparent to everyone but, I guess, Brent Pry. But, to beat a good team/QB in a "career-day" game you have to be both good and lucky, and maybe playing them at home. We were neither against OSU or MSU.

I still don't think regression will be "major," basing my opinion on the quality of JF's recruiting classes the past 3 years. Talent trumps a lot of things and I think there's plenty in the cupboard, at least 9-3 plenty.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Latest News:

Joe Moorhead is off to Mississippi State, and James Franklin is appreciative of his time at Penn State.

The fourth-year leader of the Lions shared his thoughts on Moorhead's departure for a news release announcing the hire, which is a common occurrence in coaching circles; many past colleagues chimed in with their thoughts when PSU hired Moorhead, for example.

"We couldn't be happier for Joe Moorhead and his family," Franklin said in the Mississippi State release. "This is a tremendous opportunity for him to return to being a head coach and continue to move forward in his career. We are so appreciative of everything that he has done for Penn State Football in his two years.

"Joe's combination of leadership, X's and O's, and, most importantly, positive attitude brought the best out of our very talented offensive student-athletes. He has been a great mentor and coach to our student-athletes and friend to me and our staff. We wish Joe nothing but success at Mississippi State."

It's unclear if Moorhead will take any of Penn State's current staff with him to Starksville, and it's also not clear who the Lions' next offensive coordinator will be, but a search is undoubtedly underway, and an interim play caller for the bowl game should be named soon.

Side note:
FootballScoop.com, a coaching industry insider, is reporting that Penn State defensive coordinator Brent Pry is not a candidate to coach the Bulldogs' defense.

The news is hardly a surprise, as Pry, Penn State's second-year defensive coordinator, is loyal to head coach James Franklin and has been with him for a long time. Yet, the box had to be checked considering all of the Nittany Lions' coaches could be in play to fill out Moorhead's staff.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!