Moorehead to Mississippi State

Carl Spackler

Re: Moorehead to Mississippi State

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Apparently I'm part of the Jerryatric crowd as my fandom began in 1966. We didn't exactly reload but we rebuilt in a four year period with the first year being a question, the second improving, the third pretty good and the fourth amazing. That was part due to good recruiting for need and Joe's four year plan that he spoke to several times.

Since Joe left, which is only what six seasons, we have had two head coaches, one with four seasons the sanctions and reputation issues. In that period we have gone back to a hybrid reload/rebuild state. With continued great recruiting we can soon enter the reloading phase although that requires a successful new OC to continue the momentum. We are headed in the upward trajectory and have been for two years, even longer but it takes time to show up in the win column.

Despite our setback we will prevail. Book it.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:57 pm

I agree, Carl....I came on board in 1967 when my brother, then a sophmore, would talk about the games, the defense, great goal line stands and the exploits of RB Charlie Pittman. I started listening to the games on radio and was hooked. The Paterno era was broken into predictable, four year cycles of feast and famine. Kinda drove me batty that we would have such significant dropout after 2-3 good to great seasons most notably after playing for the MNC in '78, '82 and '86....the 44-6 beat down by Nebraska to open the '83 season at the meadowlands stand out. I don'T believe we will see that occur under CJF with his ability to recruit top talent. Assistants come and go at all the programs. So I'm booking it.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Good luck coach. I think they instill Rahne as OC and he runs the bowl game and we go from there. Off coming back we should be fine obviously losing Gesicki, Saquon and Daesean are tough but there are guys waiting for opportunities
@ WR - Polk, Thompkins, Johnson, Charles and others
@ TE - Dalton, Holland and Bowers
@ RB - Sanders, Robinson, Brown and incoming frosh Slade
OL needs to get nastier and more consisitent with some combo of Bates, Menet, Miranada, McGovern, Gonzo and Fries.
DE's return just about everybody, DT's lose Cothren, Cothran and Chavis and return highly regarded underclassmen
LBs will be interesting with Bowens status and losing Cabinda and Smith but return Koa, Cam Brown with a lot of youngsters in the mix
DB's bring back Reid, Amani, Castro Fields, Wade, Ayron Monroe, Scott and others.
The D was hurt by not being able to get pressure when Bucholtz went down and leaning on young guys that were not quite ready. Lots to like going forward. Coaches need to keep up the good work on the recruiting trail and coaching these kids up to their abilities and some need to step up as leaders.
WE ARE

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Counter point - I hope Moorehead fails!

Just kidding. Kind of. I mean, who moves to Mississippi? Ugh.

Hard choice for Franklin - on the one hand, Rahne is a critically important recruiter and promoting from within is good for long-term consistency. On the other hand, you have to strike while the iron is hot and I'd be loathe to waste McSorley's last year on a coach getting up the learning curve. Plus I have still have PTSD from the pre-Moorehead offense which Rahne contributed to. On the margins, I am leaning towards to wanting a proven coach. Glad I dont have to make this call.

As long as we don't lose the commits of Shorter and the two TEs this cycle, happy that Moorehead moved to a HC gig. Come a long way since Hofstra.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:34 pm

I don't know that Morehead's got the chops to snag anyone from Franklin's staff. Maybe one guy would head down to Starkville if there was a promotion, but that even seems a stretch to me.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Nat, my post may have seemed snarky. I guess I get your pessimism (if that's the right word), but having followed CJF for years now (you may recall, my wife's a Vanderbilt grad, so I had the opp'y to watch him for 3 successful runs there, prior to the last four) two things stand out: first, he's incredibly competitive; second, his teams tend to improve year over year. And, he has the ability to think tactically when necessary: see Donovan's firing.

As an aside, I think Rahne would make a fine replacement. He's got the experience, having coached most of the offensive positions. However, don't be surprised if CJF pulls another Morehead out of the hat, someone that will make a 'splash.'
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Congratulations, good job, but I don't see the big deal. Given a playbook and a model I'm sure Franklin et al can run it. You can actually watch film of Moorehead at Mississippi state and learn new tricks. Maybe the new coach can go under center for 3rd and 6". Maybe he can improve the offensive line blocking and integration with the RPO? The trick is not the system and making it work but identifying what works and what does not especially against special defenses. We were not awesome against the 3 good defenses we played were we? Need I review the in game comments we've made? I'm OK, clearly Franklin does not want a pro offense, we'll be OK.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 am

Here is the issue that I have with the general approach to this topic:

When the offense is going really well, or it's going incredibly poorly, we point to the OC and either anoint or crucify accordingly. But now that a good to great OC leaves, we act like it's no big deal and will be an easy replacement.

Here is an example that I think makes sense: When OSU won a national title with their third string QB, everyone was high on Tom Herman, so much so that he was hired away to Houston. What happened to OSU's offense following that, despite having an excellent head coach, and stockpiles of talent? They struggled, mightily, for multiple years. And they went through multiple offensive coordinators.

I guess I'm saying that it is absolutely possible that we will see someone new fill in that role and it will either be a smooth transition or we could even see an improvement (due to improved offensive line, talent, etc). But that doesn't seem likely.

Like I said, I'm a pessimist by nature. I hope I'm wrong.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:56 am

I don't disagree with your point, but so what?

The debate reminds me of the scene in the first Major League movie (aka "the only one of those they should have made"). After Haywood hits a homerun off Ricky Vaughn in his first appearance, a bunch of Indians fans are arguing over if the ball was "too high" or "too hard". Finally, one of the other fans says "who gives a shit if it's too high or too hard? It's gone".

Moorehead is gone. It's not like it's a choice we had and we opted to let him go. He took another job, made his goodbyes and his heading south. The future will be what it will be. Franklin has shown that he can recruit and that he will make coaching changes. He brought Donovan on and then got rid of him when he couldn't get the job done. He'll bring in a new OC and if that guy doesn't work out, he'll move on. Could we go through some tough times without Moorehead. Sure, it can happen. And there is plenty of time to grouse about that if and when the time comes. But, at present, we are 10 - 2 and waiting to hear where our Bowl Game is. After that, we'll see what happens.

Learn to live in the moment, Nat. And learn not to stress over things that you can't control.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:21 am

Yes! As Billy Madison famously said - "Cherish the mo-o-o-ment!"

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:34 am

If we are going with Billy Madison quotes, I prefer this one.