Moorehead to Mississippi State

sameoldlama

Re: Moorehead to Mississippi State

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 am

Maybe the last two years was Moorhead and a combination of factors that resulted in a much improved offense:

1. The roster filled out as sanctions wound down
2. The roster out with players CJF recruited specifically for this system (i.e McS vs Hack)
3. PSU had some top talents in prime years at skill positions - Godwin, Barkley, Gesecki, McS, Hamilton
4. Improved roster really showed itself in special teams which helped PSU in field position consistently

Moorhead did a good job but it that wasn't the singular factor that transformed the offense - he wouldn't have achieved the same results with Hack, Belton and the line that yielded about a dozen sacks to Temple and a special teams unit that perpetually left you inside the 20. You can only do so much without talent and speed and CJF has shown the ability to recruit talent and speed.
Remember we also saw the limits of Moorhead and the RPO when teams stacked Barkley and had the ability to cover one on one and bring pressure. I think he will struggle in the SEC - that division is probably the strongest in football and he will also have to manage a booster base that is known for getting programs in trouble. IMO he needed a couple more years as PSU OC to refine his O, learn what it takes to be an elite program at this level and to develop national recruiting ties.

I do think there will be a drop off next couple years - not because of Moorhead leaving but you just don't replace guys like Barkley, Gesicki, Cabinda, Allen, Haley, Hamilton over a summer - that's a lot of production and leadership leaving. Let's remember the last two years this team is 4 plays away from being 24-1. I think 8-9 wins is a realistic expectation.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:18 am

Agree, lama, that JM is going to find the going tough at MSU. Starkville is the backwater's backwater, and although the state is fairly fertile with recruits the competition to snag them is enormous. Tuscaloosa is less than a hundred miles east. The SEC West is year-in year-out fierce, and now Mullen will be trying to pull guys down to Florida after nine years of familiarity at MSU. If JM goes, say .667 for three or four years he ought to be in line for an elite HC job to top off his career. I hope he pulls it off.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:00 am

Being a long term supporter and fan I can see that CJF is willing to make changes. He changed the OC for a major upside swing. He will do what needs to be done to correct things imo. Joe would hang on to a coach forever it seemed, look at the Oline mess post 1999 and the two coaches who didn't seem to be able to remedy anything forever. I understand loyalty but at a point you have to have performance with loyalty. CJF appears to grasp that quandary and is able to bring himself to remedy a bad situation. He balances loyalty with performance. That is why I expect him to do the right thing. If current staff has the talent and experience to ascend, great, if not, go outside. It's a guessing game until we see the performance of a new OC.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:08 pm

Charles Huff gone as well.

By Greg Pickel gpickel@pennlive.com
Penn State running backs coach Charles Huff will be joining Joe Moorhead at Mississippi State.

Chris Vannini of The Athletic reports, citing an unnamed source, that Huff will be Moorhead's co-offensive coordinator as well as the running backs coach and the assistant head coach.

Moorhead said during Thursday's introductory news conference that he would call plays for the Bulldogs, but that he would also have at least one person with the title of offensive coordinator.

Huff has been Penn State's running backs coach and special teams coordinator for four years, as James Franklin plucked him from Western Michigan when he arrived back in 2014.

The Nittany Lions will now need to fill at least three positions between now and the start of next season, as they are in search of a new play caller, a replacement for Huff, and also the new 10th assistant coach, which all schools will be able to hire starting on Jan. 9, 2018.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 pm

That kinda stinks, Huff seems to have done a very good job at PSU, both recruiting and coaching. But if he wants to be a coordinator or beyond at some point he probably needs to move on in order to move up. Can't fault him for that. I'm sure most of us have done that a time or two in our professional lives as well.

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:28 pm

There were rumors on 247 this morning about losing a coach and it appears that it's Huff and no one else is going. It sounds like more were offered, but turned down the chance to go. Good luck to him as well at Mississippi State.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:24 pm

There's the 'maybe 1'

Thought that might happen. This leads me to think that Rahne will get the O-coordinator job. Franklin will outsource RBs and the 10th assistant.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Ugh. He was a very good recruiter for us. Helped land Simmons, Sanders and Slade. Big time players.

Slade came out and said he is still 100% committed to PSU which is good. Not sure what the impact on others will be. Slade and Shorter are the two offensive jewels of the class. If they remain committed, I will be happy. Hate that this stuff happens so late in the cycle. College football...

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:30 pm

I think we battle for a national Championship next year. Our schedule is perfect for the most part. We have a great home games and winnable away games. The offense shouldn't change much at all. We should still put up 40 points a game. On defense we lose Allen and some LBs but they are replaceable at the college level.I am predicting 13-0 and a number 2 seed in the playoff!

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm

PSUgrower wrote:I think we battle for a national Championship next year. Our schedule is perfect for the most part. We have a great home games and winnable away games. The offense shouldn't change much at all. We should still put up 40 points a game. On defense we lose Allen and some LBs but they are replaceable at the college level.I am predicting 13-0 and a number 2 seed in the playoff!

Wow. I like how you think. :mrgreen:
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.