Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington PreGame Thread

Carl Spackler

Re: Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington PreGame Thread

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 pm

sameoldlama wrote:Reading up on game and I think they could rename it the "Mutual Respect Bowl" - no bad blood between fans, players or coaches anywhere.

I don't think this is a good match up for PSU. UW is #1 against run (and much of that may come from being in a weak conference that doesn't emphasize run) and they have a good, experienced QB. That has potential for PSU to struggle possessing ball and the secondary tiring out and getting picked apart in 2nd half (i.e. the OSU game and last year's Rose Bowl).

For PSU to win I believe they will need:
1. McSorely to be on - if he is erratic and they can stack run and force 3 and outs that will be a big issue for PSU
2. Generate 3 TOs and or be at least + 2 in TO margin - best way to cut opponents TOP is with a TO
3. They don't need to win TOP but keep it within a 10 minute differential - if O can't sustain drives / run and D can't generate TOs or a rush it will be a long day.

As I have said earlier - beating top teams on the road / neutral site is the last hurdle for CJF in building program. Let's see what direction they go.

I tend to agree across the board. Our rushing offense against their rushing defense, on paper is a mismatch in their favor. Their QB isn't a world beater but a scrambler and that type gives us fits plus it extends plays and generates those wide open receivers I so despise. DB's can't cover a receiver for 10 seconds, usually. I hope I'm wrong and possibly the time off has healed enough players to make this a good game for us.

tempe

Postby tempe » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm curious about this game. I can see state running way - like I posted - State being the more physical team - or getting picked apart. Also, too many changes? New coaches - does that inspire or create uncertainty? Help, hurt or neither? Will there a under-center snap? Bowman out?
There seems to be a few untested aspects - no?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:22 am

Will there a under-center snap?

I was under the impression that such a play resulted in immediate expulsion of the entire coaching staff w/ half-game suspension next game. No?

And 'Bowman'...Bowen? Gone for good.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:45 am

Rahne has already said they aren't going under center because they don't practice it. Not sure why they can't practice a few QB sneaks but whatever, I'm just a dude on a message board.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:02 am

I agree, what is the issue with having a variation that throws the defense off a bit?

I'm looking forward to Rahne's tenure. He called the bowl game in Hack's senior season when he was hurt and we saw McSorley for the first time. He did very well in my opinion and credit part of that to Rahne's guidance. I suspect we will see a general similar game plan with a few twists.

tempe

Postby tempe » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm

yea - Bowen - sorry - I know he is gone and was missing last year's bowl. I am asking how big his departure will matter. I thought someone was stating he was missed last bowl game.

Anyhow - I was downtown Tempe this afternoon and there sure was a lot of W and purple. I didn't realize at first that I was wearing a big white Penn State hat on because I often have a Penn State hat. Actually I had a the bar Joe Pa hat on with the Penn State under that - so, in some ways, it was even worse. haha. I often wear a 409 hat. No one really knows that one. Tempe is miles from the game, but for all the Washington folk bobbing around, I saw only on really old guy wearing a State hat.

So Pac12 is getting smacked around so far in bowl games - Washington ain't seen nothing like Penn State? 12 not so good?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Ok, I am seriously ready for this game to kick off already.

Here is someone summing up my sentiment: Enough Talk!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:44 pm

I am completely unimpressed with the way we run the RPO. I understand that this type of offense wants to keep the defense on their toes and off balance but I loathe that we have the greatest running back in my lifetime at PSU and we don't give him the ball while he is moving. This guy is a beast and common sense says that a beast is easy to bring down when he is standing straight up. I get that the coaching staff wants to stick to their offense but the offense has been anemic at times against good defenses. Watch the OSU game. I feel like we wasted saquons abilities this year and should have been in the top 4 if our coaches knew how to adjust

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:38 pm

PSUgrower wrote:I am completely unimpressed with the way we run the RPO. I understand that this type of offense wants to keep the defense on their toes and off balance but I loathe that we have the greatest running back in my lifetime at PSU and we don't give him the ball while he is moving. This guy is a beast and common sense says that a beast is easy to bring down when he is standing straight up. I get that the coaching staff wants to stick to their offense but the offense has been anemic at times against good defenses. Watch the OSU game. I feel like we wasted saquons abilities this year and should have been in the top 4 if our coaches knew how to adjust

I agree about adjusting. In 2016 the RPO was shinny and new, the first time around it shocked other teams, then came 2017 and a full year to prepare for the RPO and better teams game planned well against it. I would have hoped we would have had adjustments and changes to account for changing defensive game plans but we didn't seem to adjust and late in game the SOS occurred against the best teams. I like the offense but I agree we seemed to squander what I expect was the most talented and gifted running back PSU will see in my life time and I happily include my epitome, Curt Warner, my favorite. I have hopes that Rahne will make adjustments and innovations to vary this offense but only time will tell. The journey begins today.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:04 am

To piggy back what I said above, Saquon had 137 yards on 18 carries. 1 run resulted in 92 yards and another run was 12 yards. And that was me doing a quick look at the plays from scrimmage (I only looked at a few offensive plays). That means he had 16 carries for 34 yards. I am sorry but that is horrific and hopefully gets changed for next year. Good luck to the next dude in charge of fixing it because they will not have the same type of athlete behind the Oline! One of the reasons Bama is so awesome every year is that they don't run an offense on gimmicks. They line up and smash your face. BTW, I think we head to the Championship series next year!