Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington PreGame Thread

Nat@PSU

Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington PreGame Thread

Postby Nat@PSU » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Well, Penn State is Fiesta Bowl.bound to face the Huskies. Can't speak for anyone else but my immediate gut reaction?

Meh.

Hope for a good game to send the Seniors (and Saquan) out on a high note. And that everyone stays healthy.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

sameoldlama

Re: Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington PreGame Thread

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Considering who else was available for the New Year's Six who would you rather have them play? OSU? Wisky? USC again? UCF? Auburn? About the only one that I would take over this is Miami for history / hype factor. The Huskies have been a top program the last few years - just don't get East Coast hype.
I think PSU got a good game and got the game they deserved.

I also think this is an important game for both programs - both need a big bowl win to get them past the perception they can't win a big game against a quality opponent. I'd even say CJF needs it more given his road / neutral site record against ranked teams. Great challenge and hope Lions are up to the task.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 pm

I like this game, too. Not a sexy opponent, but a solid one. Penn State should probably be favored, but not by a lot. I only saw the Huskies play a couple of times, but their defensive front 7 looked pretty good. I think Penn State can pass on them, but their OL will have to play well.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:25 pm

I don't think NYD bowl games mean crap if it's not the top 4, but at least this game is someone we don't see much of. That'll pique my interest more than any of the other potential opponents.

Also don't think the win/loss matters much at this point in the evolution of college football. Next year when spring practice arrives no one's gonna remember a win or a loss. I don't think I lost a minute of sleep over USC last year. Don't expect I will this year either. Losing a championship game...that's a different story.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 pm

I like it's an opponent we don't generally play. I'm excited about this game.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:45 am

Under the circumstances this was as good as we could have hoped for. I'm personally excited. They haven't been to the Firsta Bowl in 21 years. That was the one and only bowl game I attended too. It was fun watching them demolish Texas. Penn State also has quite a history there.

I'll admit I don't know much about Washington. But they are a different opponent so it should be a fun game.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:40 am

Washington is a good team. Really good defense. They aren't one of the "name brand" west coast schools and I do think there is an east coast bias. They are a quality opponent. They are coached by Chris Peterson, the former coach of Boise State.

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:44 am

I think I read this morning that they have the #1 rush defense in the country. We haven't fared very well running the ball against highly ranked defenses this year (and sometimes some mediocre ones).

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:48 am

Shane, Washington has never played against a running back who defies gravity, routinely. Of course, having a bit of room upon receiving the hand off does help a back gain yards.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Apparently, the early line is Penn State favored by 3.