Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington PreGame Thread

Crowbar

Re: Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington PreGame Thread

Postby Crowbar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Not only am I pleased with the Fiesta Bowl invite, I think there are some really good bowl match-ups. Oklahoma-Georgia is going to be a barn burner. Alabama vs. Clemson is intriguing because of last year and the controversy this year. Can't go wrong with USC vs. OSU in the Cotton Bowl, of all things. Hope LSU crushes ND. Wisky and Miami have a lot to prove following season ending collapses.

I'm loving it!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:26 pm

I would have preferred to play Miami in the Orange Bowl and I'm a little surprised we didn't get that nod. I think PSU travels better than Wisky and we are a better tv draw. But, the Fiesta vs. Washington should be a good game. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also kind of glad it's not NY Day, too. I have plans that day so this works out better for me.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:55 pm

It's my understanding that when not hosting a playoff game, the Orange Bowl is entitled to the highest-ranked B10 team, with two exclusions: , the B10 champion and/or any Big-10 team that makes the playoffs. That would leave them with Wisconsin. Whether they could have passed over Wisconsin for Penn State if they wished, I don't know.

tempe

Postby tempe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:28 pm

[quote="Crowbar"]Under the circumstances this was as good as we could have hoped for. I'm personally excited. They haven't been to the Fiesta Bowl in 21 years. That was the one and only bowl game I attended too. It was fun watching them demolish Texas. Penn State also has quite a history there.

Penn State owned the Fiesta bowl when the game was in tempe at sundevil stadium. State NEVER lost there - 5-0 or 7-0? something like that. Now the game is a million miles away in glendale at the cardinals stadium. Penn Sate has never been in glendale. Washington is a good team. I hear about them all the time. ASU beat them this year and was the talk of the town. I'm really curious about this game. My hope is State is just the stronger team - BIG! vs PAC . I am happy but surprised State is picked to win.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:31 am

I did not realize the Fiesta Bowl was no longer in Tempe. Glendale? That hell hole? That's where they have to play?

Now I think this bowl sucks.

Glendale. Pffffft.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:49 am

The Penn State Nittany Lions have played in six Fiesta Bowls and they have won all of them.

Dec. 25, 1977, vs. the Arizona Sun Devils. Penn State won, 42-30.

Dec. 26, 1980, vs. the Ohio State Buckeyes. Penn State won, 31-19.

Jan. 1, 1982, vs. the USC Trojans. Penn State won, 26-10.

Jan. 2, 1987, vs. the Miami Hurricanes. Penn State won, 14-10.

Jan. 1, 1992, vs. the Tennessee Volunteers. Penn State won, 42-17.

Jan. 1, 1997, vs. the Texas Longhorns. Penn State won, 38-15.

Penn State will face Washington in the 2017 Fiesta Bowl at 4 p.m. Dec. 30 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

tempe

Postby tempe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 pm

I was at the last four.
The USC seemed like a high school stadium - cold day after very hard night of partying. Someone gave me the ticket.

For the Tennessee game I walked down to north end-zone - Tenn sacked - fumbled - D runs it in for TD - I rush the fence and smack the guys helmet. If you got a tape - that's me - Penn State hat and shirt! Can't do nothing like that anymore. (geesh - everything is on youtube now 3:00:55).

The Miami game ticket was sheer luck. I was working on the MGB in a friend's driveway - some guy stops to check out the car - turns out to be a big Penn State fan and has a ticket - I paid for that one. I think the game was the next day.

I took a girl for the Longhorns - We parked in the mud at a frat house. I do not remember her name.
Last edited by tempe on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Mud in Arizona?

I was at the Texas game - cousin of friend knew Brett Conway and we ended up at the player's hotel after game.

Remember the next year the most glorious sports month ever out there -
> MNC game was in Fiesta Bowl (UF - Nebraska I think)
> Phoenix Open - Tiger hit a hole in one on Par 3 "Party Gallery" hole
> Super Bowl - Dallas - Pittsburgh

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 pm

I've only been to one Penn State bowl game, the Holiday Bowl in 89 against BYU. It was a great, if not nerve-wracking, game that really didn't mean anything. My wife got me a pair of tickets to the Military Bowl two years ago to see Pitt lose to Navy. On of my college room mates runs the Pitt band and it was nice to catch up.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Forever in our memories...tempe from 1992!
"Livin' the Dream!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!